Fruitarian sub forum? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-29-2006, 04:47 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Michael: Would you consider opening a sub forum purely for fruitarianism?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-29-2006, 06:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Even though there may not be a lot of fruitarians, there seems to be a lot of interest. And tons of unanswered questions
#3 Old 04-29-2006, 06:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a question for you DM- Do you know any other people who eat as you do? I have never met anyone "fruitarian" who was not a raw food fruitarian. I certainly have never met anyone who considers themselves "fruitarian" and eats pasta and drinks soymilk! This is not a challenge of any sort I just really have never known anyone like you...

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-29-2006, 06:28 AM
Vegan Police Officer

The question that is going through my mind is whether the correct term is "fruitarianism" or "fructarianism". And what is the difference between the two? i.e. the difference in their etymology.
#5 Old 04-29-2006, 06:34 AM
Veggie Regular

(Responding to ahimsa from the other thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

I have a question for you DM- Do you know any other people who eat as you do? I have never met anyone "fruitarian" who was not a raw food fruitarian. I certainly have never met anyone who considers themselves "fruitarian" and eats pasta and drinks soymilk! This is not a challenge of any sort I just really have never known anyone like you...

I know one other cooked fruitarian. She & I went fruity at the same time in 2003, and we still get together occasionally to gorge ourselves on tofu lo mein, pizza marinara and/or bean burritoes with avocado (all fruits!). But you're right; most fruitarians are raw foodists.

That's one of the reasons we might need a general "fruitarian" forum, because until now we've been discussing things in the "raw food" section, and I feel a bit like an invader there.
#6 Old 04-29-2006, 06:36 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Ahimsa: I'm not DM (duh!!!) but when one looks at fructarianism (I prefer at present the word "fructarian" than "fruitarian") there is nothing in the philosophy that requires people to eat the food raw. Fructarianism basically means not killing a plant - it has nothing to do with what one DOES with the plant afterwards.

I would (at my present stage of research into this diet) consider someone who does not cook their food as a "raw food fructarian", and someone who does cook it as a plain "fructarian".
#7 Old 04-29-2006, 06:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

The question that is going through my mind is whether the correct term is "fruitarianism" or "fructarianism". And what is the difference between the two? i.e. the difference in their etymology.

I started out saying "fructarianism" (it sounds more scientific, yaknow). But then I noticed in Gandhi's autobiography he uses the word "fruitarianism" and it seems to be more commonly recognised. But it does sound rather loopy, doesn't it?
#8 Old 04-29-2006, 06:39 AM
Vegan Police Officer

I reckon then it is better to use what is most commonly recognised. The problem is that with this word, people end up thinking one only eats what is commonly known as fruit.

But in the end, it's maybe not so important. I just like to split hairs sometimes. It's because I'm a fundamentalist in many things - I like fundamentalism because I love fundamentals.
#9 Old 04-29-2006, 06:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

I reckon then it is better to use what is most commonly recognised. The problem is that with this word, people end up thinking one only eats what is commonly known as fruit.

But in the end, it's maybe not so important. I just like to split hairs sometimes. It's because I'm a fundamentalist in many things - I like fundamentalism because I love fundamentals.

Hahaha, I'm a lacto-ovo-fundamentalist.

You know what, you've convinced me to start using the word "fructarianism". Actually I'm going to spell it "fruktarianism" because that's how they say it in Sweden. No I'm not Swedish. I'm just odd.
#10 Old 04-29-2006, 07:08 AM
Veggie Regular

So what about plants that may die but aren't dead at the time of harvest (corn comes to mind)? Yes, the entire plant may eventually die but it is harvested while alive and often killed for it's fruit...What is the philosophy behind this in these cases? Because honestly, most commercially raised plants are killed before thier time anyway regardless of if they are fruit-bearing or not.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#11 Old 04-29-2006, 07:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

So what about plants that may die but aren't dead at the time of harvest (corn comes to mind)? Yes, the entire plant may eventually die but it is harvested while alive and often killed for it's fruit...What is the philosophy behind this in these cases? Because honestly, most commercially raised plants are killed before thier time anyway regardless of if they are fruit-bearing or not.

ABSOLUTELY. (And actually, commercial harvesting kills animal life too, so maybe we all ought to consider the alternatives. For that matter, maybe we should have a "Freegan" forum.)

I don't know much about harvesting methods, but I'd love to learn. This would be a great topic of discussion. Which harvesting methods are totally benign, and which cause the most damage? I've heard that bananas are harvested by chopping down the whole tree. Also, peanuts are harvested by ripping up the whole plant. In a fruity forum we could discuss this stuff and come up with alternatives

IMO it wouldn't be just for fruitarians but for anyone who wants to minimize the environmental impact to plants as well as animals.
#12 Old 04-29-2006, 07:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

ABSOLUTELY. (And actually, commercial harvesting kills animal life too, so maybe we all ought to consider the alternatives. For that matter, maybe we should have a "Freegan" forum. Just to make Michael's life more hell.)

I don't know much about harvesting methods, but I'd love to learn. This would be a great topic of discussion. Which harvesting methods are totally benign, and which cause the most damage? I've heard that bananas are harvested by chopping down the whole tree. Also, peanuts are harvested by ripping up the whole plant. In a fruity forum we could discuss this stuff and come up with alternatives

IMO it wouldn't be just for fruitarians but for anyone who wants to minimize the environmental impact to plants as well as animals.
#13 Old 04-29-2006, 07:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatorMouse View Post

ABSOLUTELY. (And actually, commercial harvesting kills animal life too, so maybe we all ought to consider the alternatives. For that matter, maybe we should have a "Freegan" forum.)

Yes, I am aware of the harm commercial harvesting does. Since I can't grow my own food (no yard, no space, no community garden and it would take 3 community gardens alone to feed MY family ) I buy local and organic. I wouldn't want to be "freegan" for a few reasons- mostly because there's no way to guarantee it would be a balanced diet and also because I refuse to eat animals or thier secretions.

#14 Old 04-29-2006, 08:42 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Can't wait for Michael to decide whether to open up a fruitarian sub forum where we can discuss all this. I am really taken by this concept (but still doubting whether it is viable in the long term). What needs to be done is a serious study as to whether the nutritional needs of someone can be covered with a diet like this. And of course, nutritional needs vary greatly according to age and gender. A woman of my age (47) heading towards menopause has different nutritional needs to a young man of 25.

(I would not put a child or an adolescent on a fruitarian diet. This would be foolish considering the lack of research and I anyway seriously doubt that an adolescent or child's nutritional needs would be covered.)
#15 Old 04-29-2006, 09:49 AM
Banned

DM,

I live in peanut country. The peanut plants are dug up by the rows and turned root side up to dry. After they have dried enough to shake the dirt off the peanuts, peanuts being a root crop, they are sent through the harvester where they are seperated from tops of the plant. The peanuts go into trucks to the dryer. The tops are either made into bales of hay or plowed back under to help the soil at the farmer choice.
#16 Old 04-29-2006, 02:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I have never known anyone like DeflatorMouse either. I think we should get his DNA somehow and clone him. I really think we need more Milli Vanilli Fruitarians running around.
#17 Old 04-29-2006, 03:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I think we should just continue to discuss fruitarianism in the living and raw food area. You can't have a special forum for every little category or the forum will become to cluttered.
#18 Old 04-29-2006, 04:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sun View Post

I have never known anyone like DeflatorMouse either. I think we should get his DNA somehow and clone him. I really think we need more Milli Vanilli Fruitarians running around.

Girl you know it's true. Ooo. Ooo. Ooo...

So which one am I, uh... the "guy on the left" or the "guy on the right"?

Life2k: So you're the resident peanut expert! Thanks for the clarification. So are the peanut plants already dead when they're harvested? That's the big question. (Although I can guess...)

SamW: the only problem with your suggestion is that cooked fruitarians & vegans may feel out of place in the raw forum. The raw forum seems to be more of a health related specialty; whereas a general fruity forum could talk about things like shampoo & toothpaste & Jainism & stuff like that.

There aren't many fruitarian forums on the internet. I've only found 2, and both of them are on raw food sites.
#19 Old 04-30-2006, 03:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I think we should have a seperate fruitarianism forum. It probably wouldn't be that relevant to me, but I'm interested in reading more about DeflatorMouse's lifestyle fruitarianism.
#20 Old 04-30-2006, 09:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

I think we should have a seperate fruitarianism forum. It probably wouldn't be that relevant to me, but I'm interested in reading more about DeflatorMouse's lifestyle fruitarianism.

Yeah but why have a whole forum for like, 2 people? That wouldn't make sense. And it's not like the raw forum is so incredibly busy that a fruitarian thread wouldn't fit. Just make "The Official Fruitarian Thread" and then talk about all the issues in that! Makes sense to me.
#21 Old 04-30-2006, 10:02 AM
Vegan Police Officer

No, because we don't want one long thread of 1000 posts talking about all different subjects at the same time.

Having a Fruitarian forum would allow different subjects to be found in one place. Tidiness is next to godliness (they say).

2 people? On another forum I was a member of for many years, there were two (sometimes three) of us posting on a sub forum. Slowly members starting reading our posts and little by little they started posting too and got interested in what we were talking about. Now that sub forum is thriving. You've got to start somewhere.

Anyway, there's no harm in Michael trying it out and if after a month or two he thinks it's not worth it, he can merge all the threads into the Raw and Living forum.
#22 Old 04-30-2006, 10:05 AM
Veggie Regular

There already seems to be more than 2 people's worth of interest in the topic.
#23 Old 04-30-2006, 11:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd be interested in a fruitarian forum.
#24 Old 04-30-2006, 02:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm interested, too.
#25 Old 04-30-2006, 03:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with those who say that there doesn't seem to be enough interest to create an entire forum dedicated just to fruitariansim (... the concept of which I'm rather sceptical; but that's quite another matter).

But : why not just rename the Raw and Living Foods forum so that it'd incorporate fruitarianism? (e.g. Fruitarianism and Raw & Living Foods - ["General discussion forum for fruitarianism and raw & living foods."]).
#26 Old 04-30-2006, 04:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azalea View Post

I agree with those who say that there doesn't seem to be enough interest to create an entire forum dedicated just to fruitariansim (... the concept of which I'm rather sceptical; but that's quite another matter).

But : why not just rename the Raw and Living Foods forum so that it'd incorporate fruitarianism? (e.g. Fruitarianism and Raw & Living Foods - ["General discussion forum for fruitarianism and raw & living foods."]).

Yes, there's always more ways we can divide ourselves by preferences. IMO, for instance, typically fruitarians are raw. I have been to many retreats, seminars, conferences etc. centering around health/wellness/nutrition and education in these areas (including raw foods) and have never heard of anyone adapting the definition of fruitarianism to mean anything close to DM's nor have I heard of many fruitarians who weren't raw so it would seem most appropriate to have a "DM's interpretation of fruitarianism" forum

There could easily be a hundred forums for each different way of eating (whole foodists, those who avoid all artificial and processed foods, those who eat no nuts, those with food allergies, those who only eat local and organic, and so on). We could just keep isolating each style/preference and create forums for all of those too. I suspect there'd be a *large* group of "whole foodists" who avoid all unnatural foods, for example. It just doesn't seem practical to devote entire forums to such things.

#27 Old 04-30-2006, 04:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I voted Yes in DeflatorMouse's poll before Michael closed it.

I think there does need to be a fruitarian forum, because there is clearly many issues and aspects of the lifestyle that we veg*ns know nothing about.

I'd like to learn about it. "The More You Know.......***"
#28 Old 04-30-2006, 05:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I am a full blown fruitarian, eating strictly whole fruits and fruit like vegetables. Even I think a sub forum is not prudent at this time. If you want to discuss fruitarianism, do what I do now. Just create a thread in the Raw and Living Food area and make sure you include fruitarian/fruitarianism in your thread title.
#29 Old 05-02-2006, 04:30 PM

I think it would be great if they opened a forum strictly for fruitarianism!!!!! We all need someone we can relate to who has the same beliefs and lifestyle choices as ourselves. I am not a fruitarian but I know how out of place I feel being a vegetarian, surrounded by judgemental meat eaters. Same thing to feel out of place surrounded by judgemental veggies who don't agree with you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page