Label you degree of vegetarianism - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 11-04-2005, 02:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenM View Post

I've got to get offline right now, but if no one else posts a poll on this first, I'll post something later on.... Meanwhile, everyone here should give their input on what the poll should include!

Sorry, Karen. First I dug up an old poll and thought, "Well, we can just keep voting here." Then people started saying the poll was so old their original votes didn't apply any more, so I created a new poll on the spot, without seeking input from the group of would-be pollsters. Bad Tess!

And luckily, no one is going to make epski wear a label if epski doesn't want to...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 11-04-2005, 03:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I was never much into labels myself.
#33 Old 11-04-2005, 04:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Aw, c'mon! Where else can you shout out, "I'm VEGAN!" and gets shouts of encouragement instead of squinky looks and people saying "Where's Vega?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 11-04-2005, 04:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, I don't know. You might get labelled "Holier-than-thou vegan" for doing that...
#35 Old 11-04-2005, 04:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Actually, a declaration of veganism isn't always met too enthusiastically here either. There's a lot of "baggage" and assumptions that come with the title.
#36 Old 11-04-2005, 05:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

Sorry, Karen. First I dug up an old poll and thought, "Well, we can just keep voting here." Then people started saying the poll was so old their original votes didn't apply any more, so I created a new poll on the spot, without seeking input from the group of would-be pollsters. Bad Tess!

no need to apologize, Tess. Thanks for putting up a new poll for us - I'm on my way to vote now!
#37 Old 11-04-2005, 05:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKey View Post

I would love to be able to have chickens in my yard. I'd like to offer homes to some of the poor little chicks that are sold to idiots around Easter time and then discarded when people realize that the cute fuzzy chick doesn't stay cute and fuzzy for very long ... arrrgghhhh Just for the pure joy of seeing them running around, scratching, taking dust baths and eating bugs (a nice side benefit to having chickens).

We live in a coastal suburb near Los Angeles, and one of the neighbors (living in a rented 4-plex with a yard) has an adorable turkey! They originally though it was a chicken. "Sandra" follows the kids wherever they go, just like a little dog, and she enjoys being petted. She seems to get along with their other animals. If I had my own yard, I think I'd adopt chickens too!
#38 Old 11-04-2005, 05:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Actually, over on the new diet poll thread, declarations of veganism were in fact met with shouts of encouragement. Anyway, where else can you shout "I'm vegetarian!" and not be asked, "But where do you get your protein?"
#39 Old 11-04-2005, 06:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenM View Post

We live in a coastal suburb near Los Angeles, and one of the neighbors (living in a rented 4-plex with a yard) has an adorable turkey! They originally though it was a chicken. "Sandra" follows the kids wherever they go, just like a little dog, and she enjoys being petted. She seems to get along with their other animals. If I had my own yard, I think I'd adopt chickens too!

OT, but curious: Which suburb is that? You can come to the next SoCal meetup! (whenever the heck that is).

*this space not for sale*
#40 Old 11-04-2005, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Well... depending on whether you ask the county tax assessor or the postal service, I live in either Torrance or Redondo Beach, California.

Amy, I figured the 'SF' meant San Francisco. ? Are you in SoCal too?
#41 Old 11-05-2005, 12:51 AM

I am a vegetarian, I drink soy milk, but I still eat cheese and eggs. But my plan now is to drop the cheese out of the diet, and eventually eggs as well. So I guess you could just call me a vegetarian for now. When I've gone a few weeks with no dairy products I'll consider changing my diet-status.
#42 Old 11-05-2005, 01:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a friend who once lived in that gray zone (either Torrance or Redondo Beach). There's a few of us SoCal VBers at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vegla (not to take anything from here, but it's been set up specifically as a resource for LA vegetarians, including an event calendar, file database, and so on, so we can stay abreast of what's happening locally, even for vegetarians not on VB... horrors).

I think that's a new record... More text within the parentheticals than without...
#43 Old 11-05-2005, 08:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

Aw, c'mon! Where else can you shout out, "I'm VEGAN!" and gets shouts of encouragement instead of squinky looks and people saying "Where's Vega?"

ROFL
#44 Old 11-05-2005, 12:37 PM

I'd really hate to see the term "vegan" become washed out. Vegetarian used to mean one thing and now there are so many variations. I think if someone is a vegan but they fudge a little bit than they are still a vegetarian of one kind or another. But I highly commend their efforts!
#45 Old 11-05-2005, 02:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemydragon View Post

I was just thinking that everyone should put what kind of vegetarian they are in their signatures...

I think that's a great idea. It really is kind of hard to come up with an appropriate label though. I'm strictly vegan at home (with the exception of honey). When not at home I try to find the most vegan thing to eat. I'll avoid food with cheese, milk or butter whenever possible.
#46 Old 11-06-2005, 08:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Correct me if I am wrong. I thought a strict Vegan ate NO animal products? Including Honey?
#47 Old 11-06-2005, 12:23 PM
Veggie Regular

That's true, dragon.

A strict vegan doesn't eat honey, strictly speaking.
#48 Old 11-06-2005, 01:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangledUpInBlue View Post

I think that's a great idea. It really is kind of hard to come up with an appropriate label though. I'm strictly vegan at home (with the exception of honey). When not at home I try to find the most vegan thing to eat. I'll avoid food with cheese, milk or butter whenever possible.

That's me, too. Maybe we're bestatarian cause we do the best we can whenever possible.
#49 Old 11-06-2005, 02:15 PM
Veggie Regular

A vegan means different things to different people. It's a difficult subject. In the end it's all about suffering and that's what important not if someone who calls themselves a vegan eats honey or trace amounts non-obvious animal products in food.

I am lacto-ovo vegetarian. I tried being vegan, it just didn't seem to work for me. Maybe one day I'll try again, but it just doesn't seem to work in my life right now.
#50 Old 11-06-2005, 04:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverGrounded View Post

That's me, too. Maybe we're bestatarian cause we do the best we can whenever possible.

hahaha! That's great. I'm a bestatarian! Now I feel like I have an appropriate label.
#51 Old 11-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Veggie Regular

"I’m a level-5 vegan. I won’t eat anything that casts a shadow."

#52 Old 11-06-2005, 08:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Mine is a master's degree. (I am not bestatarian because I don't consume controversial figures of the AR movement.)

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#53 Old 11-07-2005, 12:35 PM
Veggie Regular

My degree of vegetarianism? I think I have a bachelor's by now.

If someone is asking for dietary advice, I think they should include a short description of what they do eat so that responses can be more accurate. Other than that, I don't think it's necessary to label ourselves. If someone wants to label themselves, I won't stop them, but I prefer to be known as more than "that lacto-ovo".

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#54 Old 11-07-2005, 01:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

"Im a level-5 vegan. I wont eat anything that casts a shadow."

Anything that "is" can cast a shadow...but of course you are kidding so I'll shut up now.
#55 Old 11-07-2005, 04:43 PM
Veggie Regular

dragon, it's a quote from "The Simpsons."
#56 Old 11-07-2005, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

My degree of vegetarianism? I think I have a bachelor's by now.

If someone is asking for dietary advice, I think they should include a short description of what they do eat so that responses can be more accurate. Other than that, I don't think it's necessary to label ourselves. If someone wants to label themselves, I won't stop them, but I prefer to be known as more than "that lacto-ovo".

I was going to post exactly the same thing.
#57 Old 11-07-2005, 09:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been calling myself a vegan (again) since January, but I don't think I should anymore. Here's what I eat/don't eat, and use/don't use:

99% of the time I don't eat eggs or dairy, but I'm thinking of eating them a little more often, but not on a daily basis.

I do eat bug products. I've eaten honey during my entire second bout of "veganism", but I avoided carmine and other bug bits. I don't avoid those anymore.

I don't care much about gelatin anymore. If I want a supplement and the store only has it in a gelatin capsule, I get it. But I don't eat actual foods that have it.

I don't wear or buy new leather, and I hadn't bought wool or silk in 2 years, but I'm thinking of giving up that restriction.

I don't buy cosmetics that are tested on animals, but I don't mind buying otherwise vegan beauty and household products that are owned by a non-vegan, animal testing parent company.

I do buy toothpaste that may be tested on animals.

I don't blink at buying over-the-counter drugs that are tested on animals.

The problem with calling myself a vegetarian is that most people will assume I want to eat eggs and dairy on a regular basis. The problem with calling myself vegan is that I don't live up to many vegan standards, and I don't have goals to do so.
#58 Old 11-07-2005, 10:19 PM
Beginner

I'm an extremely picky vegan. I don't like any food that isn't remotely solid, and I don't like alot of different foods. I'm trying my best not to let things slide. I barely eat out, and when I do, I try to make sure there's no possible way the food can be non-vegan. I don't wear leather, really because I've never actually liked it, but I still own things that are wool and they're few and far between so I'll wear them until I grow out of them ( they're fairly new things, which I bought when I still wore animal hair). I don't normally wear them anyway. I don't eat anything that's from a bug or any crustacean. I think I'm way closer to fruititarianism than I am being a vegetarian( or a vegan) because I really don't like many vegetables.

I think that the individual labels for vegetarians are beneficial when talking about your personal food preferences to someone who is educated about what each means, but other than that, they tend to confuse people.
#59 Old 11-22-2005, 10:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemydragon View Post

Correct me if I am wrong. I thought a strict Vegan ate NO animal products? Including Honey?

Im a strict *~VEGAN~*

Iv used honey recently to help get rid of my cold.

I used it once, and gave up, {i felt guilty}

I shall never go back

Ghost
#60 Old 11-22-2005, 11:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Would somebody PLEASE fix the thread title? It's supposed to be "label YOUR degree of vegetarianism", not YOU. It's making me craaaaaazy!

*this space not for sale*

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page