New Forum Suggestion [Spirituality and Philosophy Forum] - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-06-2005, 03:12 PM

I think it would be cool to have a forum dedicated to lofty issues such as spirituality, philosophy, religion, and other "big" matters of that kind. The Heap is too confrontationally oriented for that kind of thing (not broad enough) and The Patch is too general, and threads like that could get lost among the slutters and ^^^ers.

How about it? We're a pretty ethical and principled lot, and we all have pretty strong feelings about what we believe in and why. A forum for discussing the merit of such ideas, not only as debates, but as a sharing of ideas and experiences as well, would seem like a natural fit.

The Rev
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-06-2005, 03:15 PM
Banned

While that seems wonderbar, I gotta say - No.

If you want, start a couple threads in a support forum and see how they fair. If things have changed since the previous spirituality thread a couple years ago, great. But I really don't think they have.
#3 Old 06-06-2005, 03:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it would be a great idea...but I don't know that everybody can play well together. The mods might get too overwhelmed with that forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-06-2005, 03:17 PM
Administrator

It's a nice idea but unfortunately some people would turn it into a debate forum.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 06-06-2005, 03:20 PM
Banned

Rev, start a thread in a support forum as a water tester.
#6 Old 06-06-2005, 03:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Isn't that what the heap is for?

(seriously, though )

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#7 Old 06-06-2005, 03:48 PM

I didn't realize it was tried before. I'll post some threads here and there about those kinds of subjects and we'll see how it goes. Either way, it's not a big deal to me. Just a suggestion.

The Rev
#8 Old 06-06-2005, 04:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshTart View Post

While that seems wonderbar, I gotta say - No.

If you want, start a couple threads in a support forum and see how they fair. If things have changed since the previous spirituality thread a couple years ago, great. But I really don't think they have.

A couple of years ago? It seems that supportive threads for discussion of one particular spirituality or another pop up about once a month, and for the most part have involved pretty respectful discussion.
#9 Old 06-06-2005, 04:34 PM
Banned

I don't know. There is always someone that starts on religion is rubbish, you are idiots, morons, etc.

I can see why Michael wouldn't want an entire forum of that.
#10 Old 06-06-2005, 04:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshTart View Post

I don't know. There is always someone that starts on religion is rubbish, you are idiots, morons, etc.

I've been glancing into explicitly religious threads here and there tends to be quite a bit more worries about anti-religious trolling than actual anti-religious trolling.

I don't think it can work, even as a trial baloon, without a firm commitment by everyone involved to make it work.
#11 Old 06-06-2005, 04:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd love one PROVIDED it had less Heap-like qualities. I was going to start something similar recently and chickened [or Tofurkeyed] out.
#12 Old 06-06-2005, 05:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I actually think the idea has merit.

When a spirituality thread is opened in the Heap, it tends to turn ugly.

When one is opened in the support forums, there's no room for discussion.

When it is opened in the Patch, it's seen as frivolous.

check out the discussions at Beliefnet.com for examples of how it can be done...

Nec Aspera Terrent
#13 Old 06-06-2005, 05:08 PM
Banned

Ok, where should we try this? None of the support seem to fit.
#14 Old 06-06-2005, 05:11 PM
Veggie Regular

ASSUMING Michael chooses to give it a try, I would suggest either in the Focus Forums or in General Discussion.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#15 Old 06-06-2005, 05:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

ASSUMING Michael chooses to give it a try, I would suggest either in the Focus Forums or in General Discussion.

Well, that narrows it down to the Patch, or Relationships and Family.

I'd be interested in floating and moderating a trial baloon on this.
#16 Old 06-06-2005, 05:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, none of the current forums is appropriate. That's why we would need Michael to make the choice to add a new forum.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#17 Old 06-06-2005, 05:24 PM
Banned

Quote:

Yeah, none of the current forums is appropriate. That's why we would need Michael to make the choice to add a new forum.

I'm willing to work around the structure if that's what is necessary to make these discussions happen.
#18 Old 06-06-2005, 05:49 PM
Banned

Ok, got itchy and launched the trial baloon, let's see how this works:

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=38727
#19 Old 06-06-2005, 06:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Excellent work!!!

*puts mod hat on...*

for now, while this is still in trial mode, let's use Kirk's format for the title and OP of any new S&P thread. If we can demonstrate that these discussions can be handled in an open, sane, non-confrontational way, we might just make something happen!

Nec Aspera Terrent
#20 Old 06-06-2005, 07:38 PM
Veggie Regular

when people start debates it gets ugly. religious debates are tough cause everyone thinks they're right and determined to set others "straight"

however a forum for spiritual discussion might work. we could just keep everything seperate. ie if you want to discuss christianity do it in a christianity thread. if you want to talk metaphysics do it in a metaphysics thread, and so on... maybe the odd debate now and then but for the most part i think people will post in the threads that interest them. we could have a rule that if you start a debate you have to do it in a seperate thread and not hijack other people's topics, and maybe state in the title that it's a debate/discussion of whatever nature so that people know what they're in for before they open it.

i've always found the problem with most religious/spiritual discussions is that some people want to discuss politely and some people want to thump (aka preach) their beliefs. if one doesn't bother the other it should be fine.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#21 Old 06-06-2005, 09:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I think a forum for this sort of discussion would be great! The above suggestions for keeping debates in other areas/threads are great though... I like discussion and would participate in such a forum, don't care much for debates however...
#22 Old 06-07-2005, 12:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I would enjoy the **** out of a philospohy forum (I mod one on another board)...but what is philosophizing without heated debate over irrelevant esoterica?

ebola
#23 Old 06-07-2005, 12:44 AM
Banned

I think this is a great idea! That way we can keep all the members of 'Over-Intellectualizers Anonymous' confined to one forum
#24 Old 06-07-2005, 06:06 AM
Veggie Regular

If both of those forums were made they should be seperate. Philosophy though I would be in favour of as it's a very interesting and intellectual topic.
#25 Old 06-07-2005, 11:20 AM
Veggie Regular

>>I think this is a great idea! That way we can keep all the members of 'Over-Intellectualizers Anonymous' confined to one forum >>

hey!!
#26 Old 06-07-2005, 12:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I actually think the idea has merit.

When a spirituality thread is opened in the Heap, it tends to turn ugly.

When one is opened in the support forums, there's no room for discussion.

When it is opened in the Patch, it's seen as frivolous.

check out the discussions at Beliefnet.com for examples of how it can be done...

Personally, I this idea has merit too (though some of it would be over my head). One way to curb heated debate -- and I don't know if it would work -- would be for the mods to quote "no debate, just discussion!" on the each thread as was done on Men and Women's forums. Of course, as Ebola said, nasty debate might be impossible to stop!

One solution might be for only people who have a leaning toward the philosophy or spirtuality to post. If you strongly disagree, go over to Food Discussion or In the News and let it be. I'm not much of a debater but like to discuss.

If mods & admin just can't do a spirituality/philosophy forum, I think the most logical place is the Patch. It's just that a new forum might encourage people to talk about this, which might be interesting for us all.

I know I have a "burning" spirituality question to pose right now that I have been thinking about for months, but am afraid to post because I know it will be shot down in the Heap. Heck, I might do it anyway and take it to the Patch.

#27 Old 06-07-2005, 01:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I love the idea...
#28 Old 06-07-2005, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post

I think this is a great idea! That way we can keep all the members of 'Over-Intellectualizers Anonymous' confined to one forum

I second the motion with a humping motion....
#29 Old 06-07-2005, 04:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I would enjoy learning from other VBers about their beliefs. I've tried to get a grasp on what most Buddhists, most atheists, most pagans, etc believe by participating in those threads before, but most of them became he-said/she-said/God-said/God-is-dead fights. I remember one thread about Buddhism that wasn't that way. Maybe zoebird started it--I think it was in the Relationships & Family forum. I learned some stuff about Zen I didn't know, and I got to ask some questions about what I had been told in college about Buddhism. It was fun!

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#30 Old 06-07-2005, 09:43 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Check out the discussions at Beliefnet.com for examples of how it can be done...

Beliefnet.com is great -- they keep nasty stuff at a minimum by having a moderator and membership to each forum, as well as a predetermined beginning and ending date for each forum. (Anyone can read the forum postings, but only someone who's joined the forum can post.) That way, a moderator can toss a troublemaker out without tossing them out of the whole Beliefnet membership.

I don't know if Michael can set up a particular forum in VeggieBoards in that sort of manner.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page