Separate Vegan/Vegetarian Forums? - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: What do you think about separate vegan/vegetarian forums?
Good idea. 0 0%
Bad idea. 0 0%
Don't know and/or don't care. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-10-2005, 04:18 AM
Administrator

I've thought about this in the past, thought I'd run it by everyone and see what they think. Would it be beneficial to have seperate forums for discussing vegetarianism and veganism? I'm thinking it might help relieve some of the underlying tension.

Also, what would you think about a "going veg" forum for people who are thinking about reducing or eliminating the meat in their diet? Having a seperate forum might help those people feel more welcome. I think anything we can do to encourage or assist those people would be helpful.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-10-2005, 04:25 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't like the idea of separating the vegans from the vegetarians. However, I do like the idea of making another forum for the soon-to-be-veg people.
#3 Old 05-10-2005, 04:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Good idea for vegetarians to have a safe area, free from needling. We can all mingle in loads of other forums.

I'm sure "thinking about going veg or cutting back" would be a very useful forum as long as it was 'safe'.

There's no point in having a vegan forum as no two vegans can agree on the definition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-10-2005, 04:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I think having seperate forums for vegans and vegetarians would be a great idea.
#5 Old 05-10-2005, 08:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't know. Might be worth a try though.
#6 Old 05-10-2005, 08:05 AM

Well, how would one decide if they're "worthy" to post in the vegan forum? Really, I see this as dividing VB even more. How hard is it to treat each other with respect?

ETA: I do like the "going veg" board idea..a place for all those "I just went veg and...." questions.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#7 Old 05-10-2005, 08:10 AM
Banned

Seperating vegans and vegetarians will just end up with a lot more of the vegan vs vegetarian stuff that goes in cycles around here.

I don't think we get enough traffic of "going veg" people to warrant a new forum. I fear that would cause more newbies to become ignored.

I think things are best they way they are.
#8 Old 05-10-2005, 08:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I think it will cause furthur bickering and divide among vegans/veggies, vegans/vegans. I do like the idea of a "Going Veg" support forum. We can have a bunch of veg*n FAQ's listed there, and it would be a good spot for already veg*s to look up info they may have forgotten. I think that would be cool and those of us that are willing to help new veggies and not just say "Oh you drink milk? It's pus you know " we can hang out in there and answer questions, provide links, etc
#9 Old 05-10-2005, 09:07 AM
Veggie Regular

With the exception of the "going veg" forum, I think the idea is too separatist. The way to resolve the tension between the vegans and vegetarians is for everyone to chill out and give each other some respect.

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#10 Old 05-10-2005, 09:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I fully agree with the 3 posters just preceding me.

I also think we should start a campaign against veg* snobism and *holier-than-thou*-ism. But maybe it is arrogant of me to say so ?!
#11 Old 05-10-2005, 09:32 AM
Banned

No to separate vegan/vegetarian forums, a big to a going veg *support* forum.
#12 Old 05-10-2005, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena99 View Post

I don't like the idea of separating the vegans from the vegetarians. However, I do like the idea of making another forum for the soon-to-be-veg people.

Not only do I concur with this post, but with Elena's sig as well.

The Rev
#13 Old 05-10-2005, 09:40 AM
Veggie Regular

People just need to learn to deal with one another. I agree with Jen. How hard is it for supposedly enlightened people to just treat one another with respect? We all supposedly respect all these other life forms. We need to just exhibit a bit more intraspecies respect and consideration. Also, despite the fact that snobbery and instigation of arguments over these issues tends to be a pain in the backside at times, I think it helps people to develop a thicker skin. The rest of the non veg world tends to be even less tolerant of our shared lifestyle choice than anywhere else. If you can't learn to deal with some of the crap here, where you do at least get some support from people who already know what you're going through, how can you deal with it in the "real world." Even if you do manage to segregate people to separate corners, those respective corners will find something to argue about. What then? Find more corners in which to split people up?
#14 Old 05-10-2005, 09:44 AM

You should purge the boards of vegetarians and make it vegan only.
#15 Old 05-10-2005, 09:48 AM

You should purge the vegetarians from VeggieBoards and make it VeganBoards.
#16 Old 05-10-2005, 09:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I think that would only heighten the sense of superiority that some vegans here feel over vegetarians.

They need to learn to accept everyone here, as we are all fighting for the same things. If they can't do that, they need to be banned.

It's quite simple actually.
#17 Old 05-10-2005, 09:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree with what most others are saying.

I think that separate areas for vegans and vegetarians would add further tension, but I do like the idea of a forum where people who are in the transitionary period can go, ask questions, get support, etc.
#18 Old 05-10-2005, 10:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena99 View Post

#19 Old 05-10-2005, 10:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine View Post

People just need to learn to deal with one another. I agree with Jen. How hard is it for supposedly enlightened people to just treat one another with respect? We all supposedly respect all these other life forms. We need to just exhibit a bit more intraspecies respect and consideration. Also, despite the fact that snobbery and instigation of arguments over these issues tends to be a pain in the backside at times, I think it helps people to develop a thicker skin. The rest of the non veg world tends to be even less tolerant of our shared lifestyle choice than anywhere else. If you can't learn to deal with some of the crap here, where you do at least get some support from people who already know what you're going through, how can you deal with it in the "real world." Even if you do manage to segregate people to separate corners, those respective corners will find something to argue about. What then? Find more corners in which to split people up?

Couldn't agree more!

It is actually sad that this has to be offered as a solution. We (veg*ns) are all on the same side here and we can't play well together . Sad, sad, sad.....
#20 Old 05-10-2005, 10:17 AM
Veggie Regular

We all just have to learn to live together
#21 Old 05-10-2005, 10:31 AM

I think it's a great idea. In fact, maybe there should also be a separate forum for pescatarians as well. And how about a forum for vegetarians who don't check labels and so end up eating gelatine? Maybe a forum for vegans who eat honey and another one for vegans who don't wear wool? In fact scrub that, it's a bad idea.... too many forums. How about just two forums.... one for people who refrain from all animal products, don't support any company that exploits animals, don't drive cars in case of road-kill, wear face masks to avoid inhaling microbes, plant all their own veg by hand in order to avoid killing mice..... and one forum for everybody else.

Seriously.... we all exploit in one form or another. It's just a matter of degree. Vegetarian and vegan are just labels for stopping-off points on the ladder to perfection. Neither one should judge the other.
#22 Old 05-10-2005, 10:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Great idea!

And how about separate forums for cat owners and for dog owners? VBers who have both can post in both forums, but if you don't have a cat, stay out of the cat forum!

There could also be separate forums for mouse owners, rat owners, rabbit owners, fish owners, ferret owners, etc.

We also need separate forums; one for people who love Harry Potter, one for people who hate Harry Potter and one for people who have never read Harry Potter books.

I also demand a separate forum for female cat owners under 5 1/2 feet in height who are trying to go vegan, hate brussels sprouts, have never watched American Idol and have older siblings, one of whom used to be vegetarian.

*this space not for sale*
#23 Old 05-10-2005, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

I also demand a separate forum for female cat owners under 5 1/2 feet in height who are trying to go vegan, hate brussels sprouts, have never watched American Idol and have older siblings, one of whom used to be vegetarian.

Don't be ridiculous! Cat owners aren't real vegans! How can you be vegan if you own a cat? You'd be a 'vegetarian practicing a vegan diet but falling a bit short on the wider ethics'!

PS. I'm not a vegan hater, just so we're clear on that!
#24 Old 05-10-2005, 11:04 AM
Banned

A war would erupt over whether people who eat honey can call themselves vegan, and the veggieboards would lay in waste for all eternity. Bad idea.

I think people should just learn to treat each other with respect.
#25 Old 05-10-2005, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstutzma View Post

I think people should just learn to treat each other with respect.

Does that mean we have to be nice to meat eaters?
#26 Old 05-10-2005, 11:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorAtomik View Post

Does that mean we have to be nice to meat eaters?

Actually, in my book, yes. ;-)
#27 Old 05-10-2005, 11:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Well, how would one decide if they're "worthy" to post in the vegan forum? Really, I see this as dividing VB even more. How hard is it to treat each other with respect?

This is why .. You're sooooo smart-!
#28 Old 05-10-2005, 11:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satya View Post

Couldn't agree more!

It is actually sad that this has to be offered as a solution. We (veg*ns) are all on the same side here and we can't play well together . Sad, sad, sad.....

We could just take the rude ones out back and kick the [email protected] out of them.........
#29 Old 05-10-2005, 11:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Well, how would one decide if they're "worthy" to post in the vegan forum?

Agreed. Plus, I am not vegan but I don't eat eggs, do all my baked desserts without milk or eggs, and feel that veganism is my goal. Many conversations would still apply to someone like me.
#30 Old 05-10-2005, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstutzma View Post

Actually, in my book, yes. ;-)

I was only kidding!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page