Separate Vegan/Vegetarian Forums? - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: What do you think about separate vegan/vegetarian forums?
Good idea. 0 0%
Bad idea. 0 0%
Don't know and/or don't care. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 05-10-2005, 07:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I like the way things are right now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 05-10-2005, 10:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Maybe I wasn't clear, that's what I had in mind. Not a "if you're vegan you have to post here and not here and if you're vegetarian you have to post here and not here" kind of thing. The vegan forum would be for vegan topics, the vegetarian forum would be for vegetarian topics. You could still post in either, your posts would just have to be supportive of whichever forum you're posting in.

See, that is what I thought. I do like this idea.
#63 Old 05-10-2005, 10:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I could go with what Borealis is talking about. It would make some topic searches easier. And, if the vegan forum becomes a "veganer than thou" war, I can just avoid it by not going in there, right? Just kidding, folks.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 05-11-2005, 12:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post

See, that is what I thought. I do like this idea.

Thats what I thought you said Borealis and now I see I was right on!....so not all about seperation is not nearly so bad as you all thought..

and Martin!...... lol.
#65 Old 05-11-2005, 01:46 AM
Beginner

but didn't you already get rid of the men/women forum because it was dividing veggieboards.

All I see is the same thing happening if you seperate vegetarian/vegan. they're both in the veggie family, I think it just fits
#66 Old 05-11-2005, 02:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Worst idea ever.

It will also contradict the reason why you got rid of the men's and women's forums.

I think we just need to learn how not to start threads JUST to piss people off, learn how to not take offense to comments NOT about at us, and learn to accept (not necessarily respect) other people's life choices. How to instill that mind set into our community is the challenge.

But really, what a stupid idea. I can say that because i'm more smarter then you and you're opinion doesn't matter.
#67 Old 05-11-2005, 05:29 AM
Banned

Although having seperate forums for veg & vegan, and a support forum for those people in transition from meat-eating are in themselves good ideas, I don't think they are going to do much in the way of solving the problem of intolerance on the board. We already have a recognized support forum yet that's never stopped certain members from going in there and making intolerant posts. I can see those people doing exactly the same thing in new forums. I suggest leaving the forums as they are and just edit out the crap either at mod discretion or when a member reports the post.
#68 Old 05-11-2005, 07:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by newstars View Post

But really, what a stupid idea. I can say that because i'm more smarter then you and you're opinion doesn't matter.

You mean "you're opinion don't matter".

#69 Old 05-12-2005, 12:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you become much more strict with less-than-helpul comments and criticism aimed at non-vegans and newbies. Zero-tolerence for people who piss on someone asking for help. I think if people got banned for a day or so every time they said something cruddy to a newbie, then perhaps that shooting-fish-in-a-barrel-practise would eventually cease.

I think you and the mods are far too nice about those infractions.

I think the support area for people trying to drop meat is a fantastic one.

d
#70 Old 05-12-2005, 12:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Worst idea ever.

It will also contradict the reason why you got rid of the men's and women's forums.

I think we just need to learn how not to start threads JUST to piss people off, learn how to not take offense to comments NOT about at us, and learn to accept (not necessarily respect) other people's life choices. How to instill that mind set into our community is the challenge.

Here's the thing -- it would be great if we all learned acceptance and tolerance. It would be awesome if we never took offense. But how do we, as a board, learn this? What practical, workable solutions do you suggest for this problem? How about taking up the challenge, rather than slinging weak attempts at non-constructive humor around?
#71 Old 05-12-2005, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:

Here's the thing -- it would be great if we all learned acceptance and tolerance. It would be awesome if we never took offense. But how do we, as a board, learn this? What practical, workable solutions do you suggest for this problem? How about taking up the challenge, rather than slinging weak attempts at non-constructive humor around?

The obvious solution.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#72 Old 05-12-2005, 12:47 PM
Veggie Regular

#73 Old 05-12-2005, 01:14 PM
Veggie Regular

non constructive humour, <attempted by many, often substituted by cheap sarcasm>
#74 Old 05-12-2005, 02:16 PM
Veggie Regular

You could try a seperate vegetarianism forum for a 25 day free trial period. Never know tell you try. If you think it is not working -- cut. Admin + mod power! One thing I'd wonder: with all the vegan halos would the vegetarians want to come out and play/talk food?

Also, there are those of us that have given up flesh and fish and dairy but still aren't 100% vegan, sneaking a snap of a milk chocolate bar meant for our omni or succoming to a product with whey. So I like the idea of a becoming vegan forum.
#75 Old 05-12-2005, 04:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I honestly don't know what THE answer is, but I truly don't believe separate forums, regardless of whether either group is free to post there, is the way. You don't resolve tension by trying to avoid it. I think that an argument could definitely be made for having a forum for just transitioning vegetarians. It would make it a lot easier to get their FAQs and general newness on the boards dealt with while they're still new to the message board and to vegetarianism in general, just to get their feet wet before jumping into the pool. However, the rest of us non-meat eaters are supposed to be on the same team and in the same pool together already. And let's not forget the people who are neither, but still enjoy frequenting this board. I don't see how splitting everyone up is going to make this situation better. In my mind it's analogous to splitting up a group of people, because there is some racial tension present within the group. Not everyone in the group has a problem mind you, but there are a select few who just can't seem to take the stick out of their butt.

The scenario goes something like this:

So we're going to split up into one section for black people and one section for white people so that everyone feels more comfortable. This doesn't mean that the black people can't go visit the white people and talk to people in that group, or that the white people can't go talk to black people in the other group. It would just reduce tension if everyone were to have a core group to be in where he or she feels more welcome and comfortable.

Do you honestly think in that kind of scenario that anyone from one group would feel welcome crossing the line to go socialize with someone in the other group? The tension won't have actually gone anywhere. People with bad attitudes would still be hanging around, but now they would feel justified in maintaining those attitudes, because 'hey we're in a separate group with our own kind now. We don't need to care about "those people" over there.' And before anyone starts pointing out the vegans, let me just say there has been venom on both sides of this issue. On the one hand you have some holier than thou types who don't think that anyone outside of themselves is doing enough to help "the cause", but on the other hand you have some vegetarians (L/O, O, whatever) in their defensiveness accusing all vegans of being in that category. I'm not pointing any fingers. Everyone here knows what he or she has or hasn't said.

One of the reasons that I think this board works, despite the rudeness and intolerance on the part of a small handful of people, is because anyone who has even lurked on this board for any length of time knows that while there may be some underlying tension, the attitudes of a few do not reflect on the ideals of the majority of people who are here. If you split things up, people might not be inclined to even go look at postings from a group that they don't consider themselves to be a part of, and they will be missing out on the big picture.

Again, I don't have THE answer, but I think that the idea already put on the table at least gets us talking along the lines of how to resolve the overall issue. I do believe, however, that the best way for us to deal with this to confront it head on. If you give people a convenient way to not deal with this issue, they will probably take it. People don't generally deal with things unless they have to. Perhaps we should have a forum just to discuss how to deal with this one issue. It may actually be warranted. This goes far beyond the attitudes present on this board alone and gets into attitudes present within the larger veg*n community.

Sorry for the long post, but I had to get that off my chest.
#76 Old 05-12-2005, 04:39 PM
Veggie Regular

No, don't apologise. You have made some good points. I'll have to think about this for a bit.
#77 Old 05-12-2005, 04:40 PM
Banned

Either seperate the forums, or start coming down hard on the vegans who give lacto-ovo's a hard time.

There are some self righteous vegans here who make it really difficult for l/o. When I was a l/o, I was getting sick and tired of hearing things like "I wish my favorite celeb was vegan. He/she is "Just a vegetarian." Or, "I wouldn't eat Gimme Lean, because it tastes too much like dead chopped up pig". or "How can you still eat eggs, dairy? When I found out how cruel dairy was I stopped eating it." And the list goes on.

That attitude made me want to run to a steak house and get away from those nutjobs.
#78 Old 05-12-2005, 04:40 PM
Veggie Regular

While we are at it lets make a different forum for blacks, jews, mexicans, canadians, europeans, and everyone else so us elitest Americans can talk down about everyone else.
#79 Old 05-12-2005, 04:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post

Good idea for vegetarians to have a safe area, free from needling. We can all mingle in loads of other forums.

I'm sure "thinking about going veg or cutting back" would be a very useful forum as long as it was 'safe'.

There's no point in having a vegan forum as no two vegans can agree on the definition.

Perfectly said. I agree 100%.
#80 Old 05-12-2005, 04:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyVT View Post

While we are at it lets make a different forum for blacks, jews, mexicans, canadians, europeans, and everyone else so us elitest Americans can talk down about everyone else.

Oh, that's a helpful comment. /sarcasm

And who are you calling "us Americans"? Lots of people here from all over the world, you know.
#81 Old 05-12-2005, 05:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Then maybe you should be in the other forum.
#82 Old 05-12-2005, 06:02 PM

This doesn't have to turn into a nasty thing, y'know.
#83 Old 05-12-2005, 06:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Great idea!

And how about separate forums for cat owners and for dog owners? VBers who have both can post in both forums, but if you don't have a cat, stay out of the cat forum!

There could also be separate forums for mouse owners, rat owners, rabbit owners, fish owners, ferret owners, etc.

We also need separate forums; one for people who love Harry Potter, one for people who hate Harry Potter and one for people who have never read Harry Potter books.

I also demand a separate forum for female cat owners under 5 1/2 feet in height who are trying to go vegan, hate brussels sprouts, have never watched American Idol and have older siblings, one of whom used to be vegetarian.

Hhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha-Nuf said
#84 Old 05-12-2005, 07:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I said yes, but then I thought - A vegan forum, a vegetarian forum, and a general veg*n discussion forum too.
#85 Old 05-12-2005, 07:32 PM
Veggie Regular

i like the idea, it's not really separating vegans and vegetarians, but actually avoiding attacks IMO it's not like we don't get enough communication in the veggie patch , family forum, health forum, and other places ....

and i like the other idea as well
#86 Old 05-12-2005, 11:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Well I am taking up the challenge by doing my part. I limit myself to the heated debates I get involved in. I use my better judgement in deciding how long to carry on in an argument before it ends up into an "i'm right and you're wrong" match. I have learned what debates aren't worth partaking in. I try my best to hear out people's opinions or comments, even when they are somewhat controversial or offensive. I remember FR's thread about white women dating black men. Instead of trying to understand why he felt the way he did about something that he was simply being honest about like I and a few other members involved in the thread were, most people felt the need to condemn, and throw insults at him.

I know I have had my bad moments, but I think, overall, I'm a positive contributor to this board who's easy to get along with.

And as for your comment about slinging weak attempts at non-constructive humour around, I think this is one of the problems this board has. Here, I put some light-hearted humour that pokes fun at the problems we are discussing, and someone, somehow takes offense to it. I know it's hard to always understand the context of one's comments through text, but I also think some of us need to lighten-up a bit instead of feeling the need to condemn people.

I've been called a misogynist for jokingly calling my ex a "wh****re". I've also seen other members suffer injust criticism, or labels for comments or simply questions they've made. I've also been guilty of being too quick to judge. I think most of us have. It's just a matter of all of us doing our part to reduce conflicts by thinking before we type, admitting when we're wrong, being open-minded, etc...

Personally, I think separating us like little children isn't the right solution, even if we do act like children sometimes.
#87 Old 05-12-2005, 11:45 PM
Banned

Quote:

Personally, I think separating us like little children isn't the right solution, even if we do act like children sometimes.

But it's not about separating us. Michael said:

Quote:
Not a "if you're vegan you have to post here and not here and if you're vegetarian you have to post here and not here" kind of thing. The vegan forum would be for vegan topics, the vegetarian forum would be for vegetarian topics. You could still post in either, your posts would just have to be supportive of whichever forum you're posting in.

#88 Old 05-13-2005, 12:02 AM
Banned

Will there be forums for flexitarians and omnivores?
#89 Old 05-13-2005, 01:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurmudgeon View Post

But it's not about separating us. Michael said:

I understand, but I think it will be pointless anyhow. There will always be the heap, where people can post threads relating directly to topics discussed in other threads.
#90 Old 05-13-2005, 02:45 AM
Veggie Regular

By that logic, why seperate anything at all, then? Why not just have one board on veggieboards?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page