The VeggieBoards Improvement Project - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-18-2005, 05:31 PM
Administrator

I've been giving a lot of thought to how we can improve VeggieBoards - not so much the site itself but our sense of community. We have so much potential and as a whole I just don't think we're living up to it.

I have some amazing ideas, some my own and some contributed by others. Over the next few months I'll be addressing most of the major concerns people have with VB. Good or bad, I welcome your opinions but some of you may be disappointed with the direction in which we're heading. I've put this off too long and it's time I do what's best for the community.

I know several of you feel it's pointless to "complain" about anything around here. You may think I don't care or that I won't do anything about it. The first is far from the truth. I do care. The second is more accurate. In a nutshell, it's easier to avoid the problem and hope it goes away than it is to do something about it. I know that's something I need to work on. And that's the point of all this.

Right now I'm in the planning stages. Over the weekend I will be compiling a list of "complaints" that I've read both here and on other sites. I'll sort them by priority and come up with a plan to address each.

I will also be writing a mission statement that will outline the core values of our community - what we stand for and why we're here. My goal is to bring us closer together by providing a more friendly/supportive atmosphere. At the same time I would like to reduce the amount of moderation that needs to take place. That's where our mission statement comes in. By posting here you will be asked to abide by a very reasonable set of values. The focus will turn from enforcing rules to ensuring that our core values are supported. If you (or we) decide you are unable to support those core values then it may be best for you to post somewhere else.

Until then I want you to know that we are all responsible for bettering VB. Your posts are what make up this community and I'd like to ask that each of you put forth a little extra effort in making quality posts that are respectful of others.

Also, over the next week or so I'll be contacting some of you privately to see if you have any concerns or suggestions. You're also more than welcome to pm me. All of these decisions will be based on what I think is best for the community so this is the time to make your thoughts known.

Like I said, it's not all doom and gloom. I just feel we're at a crossroads and that this is the time to make some critical decisions about which way we want to go.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-18-2005, 06:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

I will also be writing a mission statement that will outline the core values of our community - what we stand for and why we're here

I would like to make two suggestions in that regard.

1. Keep it short. People will glaze over or not read anything too long.

2. Put links to in places on the site where people eyes will naturally fall.

My Blog: beforewisdom.com
#3 Old 02-18-2005, 06:14 PM
Veggie Regular

This is really good to hear, Michael.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-18-2005, 06:21 PM
Veggie Regular

wow, respect owing truthfully this time..... a most vital positive turn for the better this is....

lots of people ride these boards, and generally speaking in a gobsmacking nutshell, I'll say just like a mule will tolerate by how it deems to be, its rider still rides therefore but the mule still hates getting kicked in the sides. Oneday the rider gets respect for animal that carries that person/ or persons in the case of the community as a whole.
#5 Old 02-18-2005, 06:32 PM
Veggie Regular

*sigh* This means I have to behave, raise my hand, and say I'll help!
#6 Old 02-18-2005, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Thanks. As I've said we all need to step it up a notch. Not just in what we post but how we interact with others, particularly those we don't like. Actions like that bring everyone down and don't reflect well on the community as a whole. I'm hoping this will be something people can dedicate themselves to long-term, I know it's hard to change behaviors but that's what I'm asking everyone to do. I don't want this to fizzle and die within a month (and I doubt many of you do either). Things aren't bad, we have a good base to build upon. We just want everything we do from here on to be an improvement upon what we've already done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 02-18-2005, 07:10 PM
Veggie Regular

just a little complement, out of all the message boards/forums/chatrooms i have ever been on this one has the most concerned leader/owner (whatever you wanna call yourself)

that is probably the reason why i stick around - because you (and your crew) really care about what's going on around here.

thanks M
#8 Old 02-18-2005, 07:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA~goth~UK View Post

wow, respect owing truthfully this time..... a most vital positive turn for the better this is....

lots of people ride these boards, and generally speaking in a gobsmacking nutshell, I'll say just like a mule will tolerate by how it deems to be, its rider still rides therefore but the mule still hates getting kicked in the sides. Oneday the rider gets respect for animal that carries that person/ or persons in the case of the community as a whole.

is it me, or is that Greek?

*this space not for sale*
#9 Old 02-18-2005, 07:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky View Post

just a little complement, out of all the message boards/forums/chatrooms i have ever been on this one has the most concerned leader/owner (whatever you wanna call yourself)

that is probably the reason why i stick around - because you (and your crew) really care about what's going on around here.

thanks M

i agree wholeheartedly!! michael
#10 Old 02-18-2005, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky View Post

I know a few people will roll their eyes at that but I feel it's true and I'm thankful you noticed.

#11 Old 02-18-2005, 08:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Ya, but what will all the other message boards think of us? They're gonna think we're a bunch of wusses!
#12 Old 02-18-2005, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Most of the other message boards are comprised of ex-VB'ers anyway.

#13 Old 02-18-2005, 08:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Sounds good.
#14 Old 02-18-2005, 08:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by newstars View Post

Ya, but what will all the other message boards think of us? They're gonna think we're a bunch of wusses!

The other sites seem to be far wussier than this one is anyway. If they give us any flack will give em a little of this. And they'll go cryin to their mommies.
#15 Old 02-18-2005, 08:30 PM
Veggie Regular

does this mean I have to quit pissing people off just for the hell of it?

but on the plus side, it means I get to make a detailed list of every little thinkg that's wrong with VB!

*sits down to make list*

uhhh.... ummmm..... hmm. well, when I think of something, I'll let you know.
#16 Old 02-18-2005, 08:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balabean View Post

The other sites seem to be far wussier than this one is anyway. If they give us any flack will give em a little of this. And they'll go cryin to their mommies.

heck yes!
#17 Old 02-18-2005, 09:02 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I think this is fantastic! Great job Michael. VB has needed it for a while. And no, that wasn't a complaint just a statement of how I feel.

And let's please not slag off other message boards. Different courses for different hourses, ok?

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#18 Old 02-18-2005, 09:53 PM
Veggie Regular

#19 Old 02-19-2005, 02:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

And let's please not slag off other message boards. Different courses for different hourses, ok?

I second what Kiz' statement that I've quoted. We are here because we choose to be. Other people are on other boards because they want to be. I'm way more interested in what's going on here, than what's going on somewhere else.

I have been in the middle of internet message board wars, and I for one am just going to stay here, where I enjoy things.

Life's too short to bicker with someone that might be on the other side of the planet, especially if it's just that you hold differing opinions. However, Life is long enough to reach out, and make a friend on the other side of the planet.

We should talk to each other, isn't that why we're here?

#20 Old 02-19-2005, 02:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks Michael. I have stayed away for a week or so because I felt like I wasn't able to contribute much that was positive. I feel that generally we work well as a community and am glad you are seeking to improve this.
#21 Old 02-19-2005, 11:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Do I smell a KGVB?

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#22 Old 02-19-2005, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Huh?

#23 Old 02-19-2005, 06:33 PM
Veggie Regular

kinder gentler veggieboards
#24 Old 02-19-2005, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Ah. I kept thinking KGB. Yours makes more sense.

#25 Old 02-19-2005, 06:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

No slagging of any sort occured. It was just a joke. I'm not sincerely concerned about the VB community being viewed as wusses, haha.
#26 Old 02-20-2005, 03:31 PM
Veggie Regular

<<< thinks michael would make a good manager
#27 Old 02-20-2005, 04:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Ah. I kept thinking KGB.

I hope VB doesn't become the KGB!
#28 Old 02-20-2005, 09:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know if this is the type of improvement stuff you are looking for, but is there a way to combine the health sections back together as they were before? It seems like the health forums get less traffic now that they are split up into 3 catagories. Or maybe it just seems like that to me. I dunno. I also think that most of the people who frequent the health forums are interested in that stuff in general so it would be nice to look at it all at once.
#29 Old 02-21-2005, 12:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSwab View Post

I don't know if this is the type of improvement stuff you are looking for, but is there a way to combine the health sections back together as they were before? It seems like the health forums get less traffic now that they are split up into 3 catagories. Or maybe it just seems like that to me. I dunno. I also think that most of the people who frequent the health forums are interested in that stuff in general so it would be nice to look at it all at once.

I totally agree with this. The health forum used to be my favorite forum on here, but now it just seems like all the subsections are always dead. Sooo, I second this motion.
#30 Old 02-21-2005, 01:51 AM
Administrator

There's a way we can have it both ways. I need to do more research into it though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page