New Moderating Guidelines - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-18-2004, 02:17 AM
Administrator

We've recently had some concerns raised about how disciplinary measures are adminstered. These are valid concerns and the last few days we've been working on ways to address and correct them.

It wasn't intentional but we've somehow moved to a zero tolerance policy on TOS violations. It's lazy moderating and I've certainly been guilty of it myself.

So here is what we've come up with. This should greatly improve the flow of communication around here.

Quote:
New Moderator Guidelines

We will be enforcing the TOS much as we have in the past, however, there will be several key differences.

First... There will be more emphasis on warning people against improper behavior prior to suspension. We will work to get away from the zero tolerance policy we've somehow adopted. If we see a minor offense we will attempt to edit it or we will ask that you edit it. It will then be up to the moderator whether or not to issue an official warning. If one is not issued then the incident will not be held against you in the future.

Second... For the most part we will be implementing a three strikes system. We will attempt to warn against improper behavior two times. If there is a third occurrence of improper behavior within a 6 month period there will be a 7 day suspension. Every occurrence of improper behavior following the suspension will result in an automatic 3 day suspension. If we feel that you are abusing this policy an extended suspension or permanent ban will be considered.

This formula will only take into account warnings/suspensions that have occurred less than 6 months prior to the most recent warning/suspension. The three strikes policy takes into account all violations of the TOS - it does not have to be the same violation three times.

Third... We will attempt to provide better communication when acting in an official capacity.

• Reported Posts: A moderator should contact you via private message to acknowledge that your report has been received. If possible, we will provide an explaination of what was done and why.
  • Warnings: A moderator should contact you via private message to provide you with an explaination of what was done, why, suggest ways to correct the behavior, and the consequences of future occurrences.
  • Suspensions: A moderator should contact you via e-mail with the information above as well as the duration of your suspension.

We reserve the right to deviate from this if we feel it is necessary. But hopefully this will provide some structure and will help keep good people from being suspended for silly reasons.

For the most part this is what we're going with but before we officially adopted this policy we wanted to get some input from everyone. We're open to making minor changes if needed.

If you have questions or concerns that you would like addressed privately please feel free to pm me.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-18-2004, 02:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Tell me the slut for power thread is exempt from the post slutting TOS
#3 Old 12-18-2004, 02:26 AM
Veggie Regular

This policy sounds like a step forward. I like it. VB has gotten a little crazy lately I think.

I would like to emphasize the importance of CONSISTENT application of the rules and such. Example: if two people post the same thing in the same thread, it isn't fair that one person gets their post completely deleted and account suspended while the other post is allowed.

I think there are some people who get away with some pretty offensive PERSONAL attacks and trolling/baiting whereas some other people get dinged for relatively minor things.

JMHO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-18-2004, 02:30 AM

Yeah, well I got suspended for writing a swear word differently.. but i always see people write other swear words with creative spelling. Go figure. Could have like, edited my post and warned me or something.
#5 Old 12-18-2004, 02:31 AM
Administrator

Well, that's an entirely different issue that I hope to address after the holidays. Seems like everyone is a little stressed this time of year. Plus that'll give us a few weeks to see what effect our new guidelines have.

So yeah, I realize that's a big problem and I'll be working on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 12-18-2004, 02:36 AM
Administrator

DK - Under the new guidelines that post would have been edited and you would have been given a warning. And I disagree that you spelled it "differently." Creative spelling is different from actually spelling out the word. And it was clearly done to bypass the censor feature. If one of the mods had done what you did they would have been suspended as well.

For the record, I don't have that policy because I'm uptight. And I know kids hear and say those words all the time. That really has nothing to do with it. Most employers have software that blocks sites containing inappropriate content. I don't want VB blocked for myself or anyone else who may be viewing it while at work.

#7 Old 12-18-2004, 02:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks Michael. I think the new guidelines are a great step forward.
#8 Old 12-18-2004, 02:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

. Most employers have software that blocks sites containing inappropriate content. I don't want VB blocked for myself or anyone else who may be viewing it while at work.

That's something I didn't know. I feel a whole lot happier about asterisks now
#9 Old 12-18-2004, 03:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Michael, I really like the new guidelines. They make a lot of sense and I would like to see them in place and (consistently/without bias) enforced!
#10 Old 12-18-2004, 11:03 AM
Beginner

Quote:

We've recently had some concerns raised about how disciplinary measures are adminstered. These are valid concerns and the last few days we've been working on ways to address and correct them.

It's time Vegsource learnt something from VB.
#11 Old 12-18-2004, 01:04 PM

Good job, Michael. I like it. It seemed like regular people were getting booted for some pretty minor infractions and all because one mod was offended by it. Its good to have a set uniform policy.

We have a similar system with an exception for trolls, who get immediately banned, but we don't get many trolls anymore. This place seems to get a few with some frequency. I'd make sure to reserve the right to ban anybody who has as their intent the disruption of the place.
#12 Old 12-18-2004, 01:11 PM

It's pretty much a dead giveaway when someone says "I'm waiting to see how long it is before I get banned" that their true intention is getting banned. Not really hard to see through that or trolls that hit the board (i.e. bubba from last night).

I like that suggestions were made, people listened, and positive change insued.
#13 Old 12-18-2004, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankruptor View Post

We have a similar system with an exception for trolls, who get immediately banned, but we don't get many trolls anymore. This place seems to get a few with some frequency. I'd make sure to reserve the right to ban anybody who has as their intent the disruption of the place.

Yep, we won't hesitate to give trolls and spammers the boot.

#14 Old 12-18-2004, 03:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm happy to see this. Though I personally haven't been affected by it, I have noticed increased tension, and it's wonderful to see that you guys are taking it seriously and maturely and working to find solutions. Thank you!
#15 Old 12-18-2004, 05:04 PM
Banned

sounds good to me
#16 Old 12-18-2004, 06:05 PM
Banned

I would casually suggest:

enforce everything in the TOS equally or take out what you don't want to enforce. A lot of people, mods included (and mods should NEVER violate the TOS imo for example setting purposes) post articles in their entirety, for example. These posts should be deleted and posters warned or that item in the TOS should be eliminated.

mods should never discuss a suspension or ban in public.

I don't really personally care about how VB is run, I have never been inconvenienced, however these are issues I have seen cause problems elsewhere and it seems that websites that follow a policy similar to the one outlined above with the addition of the two items I mentioned have much less bickering about policy issues than some other sites.

peace out
#17 Old 12-18-2004, 06:25 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyKass View Post

Yeah, well I got suspended for writing a swear word differently.. but i always see people write other swear words with creative spelling. Go figure. Could have like, edited my post and warned me or something.

I've noticed things like that. Except with me it was the other way around. I did the "creative spelling" swear word and nothing happened. My post was not even edited - I didn't even know it was wrong to do! That's why I was so surprised when people like Borealis got suspended for the same thing.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#18 Old 12-18-2004, 06:27 PM
Administrator

No. They did not get suspended for the same thing. They used the code in a way in which the word was actually spelled out.

And for the record, borealis did it intentionally to see if she would get suspended.

#19 Old 12-18-2004, 06:27 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Oh, by the way, thanks for this Michael. I know I've been one of the big whingers lately, but I do live VB.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#20 Old 12-18-2004, 06:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

No. They did not get suspended for the same thing. They used the code in a way in which the word was actually spelled out.

Right, I did not get suspended for creative swear spelling. It was creative coding.

Quote:

And for the record, borealis did it intentionally to see if she would get suspended.

Not quite right. I was testing another user's claim that VB users who break rules are treated differently. I broke the same rule that DannyKass did, and recieved the same consequence. You can believe this or not, but I was happy to see the rules applied equally.

There is a question I have about the TOS, and this seems like a good place to ask. The pertinent section reads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS View Post

This site is programmed with a list of words that are considered profane under any context and these words are not allowed to be posted. Attempting to bypass the censor by misspelling, inserting spaces or symbols, transposing letters, using look-alike symbols, or any other method is not allowed. The only acceptable method of posting one of these profane words is to completely obscure it, making it impossible to determine what the word is without context.

It's clear that spelling a swear word with one asterisk, ! for i, and so on is disallowed. Of course, we know that this happens on VB all the time. Will this rule be enforced as it is written, or will the rule be worded differently? Or will it be merely enforced at the discretion of the moderators?
#21 Old 12-18-2004, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Not sure. I'll give it some thought.

#22 Old 12-18-2004, 07:28 PM
Banned

If you will notice on my sig, I had to add a request that people not gripe to me about the mods. Their gripes were generally that certain mods were not made to follow the rules as the general members do. I believe you have covered this problem in these new policies. Thanks.

These rules are going to apply to the mods aren't they?
#23 Old 12-18-2004, 08:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Sounds good, Michael!
#24 Old 12-18-2004, 08:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Looks good to me!
#25 Old 12-18-2004, 11:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Your doing a lot more then many other admins would do to keep this place on track, Michael
#26 Old 12-19-2004, 08:29 PM
Banned

It depends which boards you go to of course, but I'd say it's more a case of Michael now doing what most other admins already do.
#27 Old 12-20-2004, 03:51 AM

It's more the mod/admin team coming up with how to run VB much more effectively based on user concerns.
#28 Old 12-20-2004, 04:58 AM
Administrator

Doesn't really matter how it came about. Just matters that we do what we can to stick with it and make it work.

#29 Old 12-20-2004, 12:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmm, I've been gone, but it's good to see what looks like progress.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#30 Old 12-20-2004, 12:58 PM
Banned

Good work!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page