Attention - Password and Security Update - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 61Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#31 Old 06-25-2016, 12:42 PM
Vegan since 1991
 
David3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Joe View Post
I realized that Michael had sold the site to a non-veg*n organization. I didn't realize how heavily invested it was in making money from hunting and fishing. Ah, Michael, not very veg*n of you.

I don't think that I want to continue to add to their profits.
I feel the same way. The issue, however, is that VeggieBoards is the #1 Google search result for "vegetarian forum" searches. That's why so many new vegetarians come here.

I've been trying to join the #2 Google "vegetarian forum" result: The Vegetarian Society of the UK's forum. I attempted to register for the forum, and I received an email message that the registration process might take a couple of days. That was 4 days ago.

.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 06-25-2016 at 12:48 PM.
David3 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#32 Old 06-25-2016, 01:07 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
The Security and Data Breach link is interesting. I didn't realize that the owner of VeggieBoards, Vertical Scope, had such a wide variety of other forums, including 10 different hunting and fishing forums: http://www.verticalscope.com/outdoor/ . Whatever sells advertising, I guess!

.
I knew. I brought it up a couple of years ago, but there was a lack of interest.
LedBoots is offline  
#33 Old 06-25-2016, 02:05 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
I knew. I brought it up a couple of years ago, but there was a lack of interest.
Lack of interest?

I don't think the forum owners are going to divest themselves of the hunting/ fishing boards or of this site because some veg*ns don't like contributing to the profitability of an enterprise that derives income from hunting/fishing.

IOW, it's a matter of what each member feels comfortable supporting, and acting accordingly.
Beautiful Joe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#34 Old 06-25-2016, 02:54 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Joe View Post
Lack of interest?

I don't think the forum owners are going to divest themselves of the hunting/ fishing boards or of this site because some veg*ns don't like contributing to the profitability of an enterprise that derives income from hunting/fishing.

IOW, it's a matter of what each member feels comfortable supporting, and acting accordingly.
Lack of interest from the members, I meant.
LedBoots is offline  
#35 Old 06-25-2016, 03:46 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396

These are the owners. I sent this screenshot to a couple of mods in PM's back in 2014.
LedBoots is offline  
#36 Old 06-25-2016, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,942
I do remember that change, and discussion. I guess I felt about it the way I do towards mainstream grocery stores, small brands owned by larger corporations. I'm pretty ignorant of how internet site ownership works, or how my contribution to a forum matters.
silva is offline  
#37 Old 06-25-2016, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular
 
runnerveggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,862
I'm not entirely happy with the way the security breach was handled. The admins seemed confused about what actually happened, and it took 10 days for the company to come clean about it. I still haven't gotten an email about it, and I'm not sure what the cause for delay is. This should be an automated process.

Even the statement at the top of the page now is cryptic -- was I just supposed to know what "Vertical Scope" is? It is never defined, so I wasn't even sure whether the breach applied to me. Now I understand that it is the company that owns VB.

I changed my password, but I have a sinking feeling that upgrades are not complete and I'll be asked to change it again who knows how many times over the next couple of weeks.

I guess I won't be too heartbroken if my VB account is compromised -- I might just let it go.
LedBoots likes this.

Last edited by runnerveggie; 06-26-2016 at 01:21 PM.
runnerveggie is offline  
#38 Old 06-26-2016, 06:25 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Joe View Post
I realized that Michael had sold the site to a non-veg*n organization. I didn't realize how heavily invested it was in making money from hunting and fishing. Ah, Michael, not very veg*n of you.
I don't think that Michael sold the site to VerticalScope. I think it was to another company, Huddler which was very hands-off in its operation.

Lv

Last edited by leedsveg; 06-26-2016 at 07:44 AM.
leedsveg is offline  
#39 Old 06-26-2016, 08:19 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post
I don't think that Michael sold the site to VerticalScope. I think it was to another company, Huddler which was very hands-off in its operation.

Lv
Yes, he did. Then Huddler sold to VerticalScope. For those of you who were here to remember the Duck hunter forum who invaded and trolled here at VB years ago, their site is also a VerticalScope site.

Gross
LedBoots is offline  
#40 Old 06-26-2016, 09:23 AM
Lifelong vegetarian
 
@rno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,617
Thank you for the information about Vertical Scope.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.

Last edited by Werewolf Girl; 06-26-2016 at 01:11 PM. Reason: promotion of other forums is against the TOS
@rno is offline  
#41 Old 06-26-2016, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator
 
Werewolf Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 16,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
I do remember that change, and discussion. I guess I felt about it the way I do towards mainstream grocery stores, small brands owned by larger corporations.
This is how I see it, it's the platform that allows the community to exist but it doesn't represent the community or interfere with it.

It's no different to me than using Facebook and visiting vegetarian pages there even though it has pages devoted to hunting and cooking meat or going to r/vegan on reddit even though there are a lot of bacon memes on every other subreddit. The r/vegan community are incredible people and do a lot of good work getting the vegan message out there and that isn't negated by the fact that most people on reddit aren't vegan, the same thinking applies here.

As David3 mentioned we're the number 1 Google search result for vegetarian forum searches and since my goal is to reach as many people as possible with the information I share this is the best place to do it.

It also helps that there are a lot of awesome people here I enjoy hanging out with...
Naturebound and CricketVS like this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Werewolf Girl is offline  
#42 Old 06-26-2016, 04:45 PM
The Corpulent Vegan
 
Aliakai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Seattle
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post
This is how I see it, it's the platform that allows the community to exist but it doesn't represent the community or interfere with it.

It's no different to me than using Facebook and visiting vegetarian pages there even though it has pages devoted to hunting and cooking meat or going to r/vegan on reddit even though there are a lot of bacon memes on every other subreddit. The r/vegan community are incredible people and do a lot of good work getting the vegan message out there and that isn't negated by the fact that most people on reddit aren't vegan, the same thinking applies here.

As David3 mentioned we're the number 1 Google search result for vegetarian forum searches and since my goal is to reach as many people as possible with the information I share this is the best place to do it.

It also helps that there are a lot of awesome people here I enjoy hanging out with...
I'm in WWG's camp here. "Buying products," in this case using the site and providing "eyes" for advertising, works the same way in grocery stores as it does on sites. By giving this site traffic, we may be supporting a company that does non veg'n stuff, but we're showing there's a demand. It's the same way I feel about the accidentally vegan list, just because the company does nonvegan stuff doesn't mean it's a bad idea to support the vegan products they do have. Ben and Jerry's almond flavors for the win!

As far as Vertical Scope's handling of this issue, I feel like it was botched and am frustrated also. I never got the original email and it took 12 links and 3 emails (none of which I got a reply from by the way) to finally get the password reset form. And the requirement that we change passwords every year still has me ticked off, if they want to make it harder for people with old accounts to come back and harass the current members with these requirements, they're going to drive traffic from the site. We still don't know how many regulars we've lost or how many can't post because they didn't get the link either.

I wish they would listen to us and let the mods handle the site, including stuff like those dumb articles on the homepage and adding FAQ stickies so that we don't get so many of the same questions on the transition boards. How this was handled is just one incident in a long list of issues VB needs to address, and the question of who's funding/owning the site is secondary to the question of how we can get the board back on track and busy again.

It's better to burn out than fade away! - Def Leppard


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aliakai is offline  
#43 Old 06-26-2016, 05:05 PM
Veggie Regular
 
karenlovessnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Home Sweet Home
Posts: 12,079
I agree with the awesome people part.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LedBoots likes this.
karenlovessnow is offline  
#44 Old 06-27-2016, 12:53 PM
Administrator
 
CricketVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerveggie View Post
I'm not entirely happy with the way the security breach was handled. The admins seemed confused about what actually happened, and it took 10 days for the company to come clean about it. I still haven't gotten an email about it, and I'm not sure what the cause for delay is. This should be an automated process.

Even the statement at the top of the page now is cryptic -- was I just supposed to know what "Vertical Scope" is? It is never defined, so I wasn't even sure whether the breach applied to me. Now I understand that it is the company that owns VB.

I changed my password, but I have a sinking feeling that upgrades are not complete and I'll be asked to change it again who knows how many times over the next couple of weeks.

I guess I won't be too heartbroken if my VB account is compromised -- I might just let it go.
We announced this back on the 14th. I will be merging this thread with that one in just a few moments.

Emails did go out and the forced password changes were implemented. There were some members who did not see the email, for a number of reasons. (1) They had an old email address associated with their account that they no longer had access to. (2) Their ISP may block automated emails. (3) It may have gone into their spam folders.

Right now, the plan is to have members change their passwords once a year, but we can revisit that later on to decide if it is necessary.

If I can further assist you, please let me know.
CricketVS is offline  
#45 Old 06-29-2016, 01:33 PM
Newbie
 
F8doggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7
I didn't get an e-mail, but when I came back here, and tried to get on, it gave me that red error message. I tried to change my password, over and over. I am Gita and have over 1000 posts, and have been on veggieboards for years, but now I have to use a new name. If anyone knows how I can get my old name back, and my posts I would really appreciate it.
LedBoots likes this.
F8doggie is offline  
#46 Old 06-29-2016, 01:57 PM
Administrator
 
CricketVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by F8doggie View Post
I didn't get an e-mail, but when I came back here, and tried to get on, it gave me that red error message. I tried to change my password, over and over. I am Gita and have over 1000 posts, and have been on veggieboards for years, but now I have to use a new name. If anyone knows how I can get my old name back, and my posts I would really appreciate it.
I am going to PM you for more information so that I can help you recover your old account.
CricketVS is offline  
#47 Old 06-30-2016, 12:04 PM
Fellow Hummusapian
 
phoenixrising's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: ColoRADo
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post
Not surprised. Just had a few days frustration trying to log in. Maybe others are having this same experience?

Yeah, I couldn't get back on.

So... hello again, everyone! I've missed this place.
LedBoots likes this.
phoenixrising is offline  
#48 Old 06-30-2016, 06:21 PM
Veggie Regular
 
karenlovessnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Home Sweet Home
Posts: 12,079
Several people are having issues. I've been logged in through Tapatalk but I imagine if I logged out I would have a problem getting back in. People are emailing for help with log in but are not getting any response.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
karenlovessnow is offline  
#49 Old 07-01-2016, 09:04 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Gita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mexas
Posts: 1,610
I finally changed my password!!!! Yippie!
Gita is offline  
#50 Old 07-01-2016, 09:39 AM
Newbie
 
beancounter2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 5
Hi,

My original user name was Beancounter, and I have been a member for many years.

I registered back then with an email account that I no longer have.

I followed the instructions to notify the Admins about this a few weeks ago, but have not received a response, so I assume they are backlogged, or I didn't provide the correct information.

So, just when you thought it was safe to go back into the Compost Heap again....
LedBoots and Naturebound like this.
beancounter2 is offline  
#51 Old 07-01-2016, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,942
I seriously hope they fix this mess soon before you lose people.
Beancounters an orginal!
silva is offline  
#52 Old 07-01-2016, 06:48 PM
Newbie
 
beancounter2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 5
First, I'd like to thank Sara B. for quickly responding to my post in this thread and sending me a password reset.

However, the password reset that was sent to me was for my new account under "beancounter2". I didn't need a password reset for the new account.

I was looking for a password reset to my old/original account under the username "Beancounter". Since my original account is tied to an email account that I no longer have, I'm wondering if it is possible to reset the password since I can't receive the password reset.

I suppose a password reset could be sent to me for my old/original account to my new email address, but there is no way for me to prove that I'm the owner of the old account.

So, it looks like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place on this.

The Original Beancounter
beancounter2 is offline  
#53 Old 07-01-2016, 08:49 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
Piratehuntress is also a long time member who cannot log in.

ADMINS, THIS BOARD IS 15 YEARS OLD. DO YOU STILL HAVE THE SAME EMAIL FROM A DECADE PLUS AGO???

Only yelling because you are ignoring this problem!!
LedBoots is offline  
#54 Old 07-01-2016, 08:50 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
Well, maybe they want the long time members to either leave or make new accounts so everyone is all equal and new.
karenlovessnow likes this.
LedBoots is offline  
#55 Old 07-01-2016, 09:16 PM
Veggie Regular
 
runnerveggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,862
I have the same email address as when I joined, and still haven't gotten any emails from VB in the last 6 months *except* the automated password reset emails from clicking the "forgot my password" link. I use gmail, and there is nothing in my spam folder.

I guess I should be glad the password reset emails still work, but I wonder if VB emails such as the one the admins claim was sent out regarding the breach are getting flagged by the gmail serves as potentially malicious.
LedBoots likes this.
runnerveggie is offline  
#56 Old 07-02-2016, 03:30 AM
Veggie Regular
 
karenlovessnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Home Sweet Home
Posts: 12,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Well, maybe they want the long time members to either leave or make new accounts so everyone is all equal and new.


I was thinking the same thing. So why not just say so? People might be ticked off, initially, but eventually they will either get over it or move on. It's not like it hasn't happened before. I'm too old for guessing games, lol. I need "straight up and easy".


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LedBoots likes this.
karenlovessnow is offline  
#57 Old 07-02-2016, 04:21 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Naturebound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,609
I just want to say that I am sad that so many of our older members are unable to log back on. I think it is easy, if you are not intimately familiar with a forum and the members who regularly participate, to see only anonymous usernames and not think this is a big deal. But let me tell you, some of the members on here have literally changed my life, even saved me in some ways, from some pretty nasty turmoil I was in. People here have been incredibly generous with their time and talents, and we are a real and viable community, not just an advice column.

I hope that these issues can be resolved so we can get back to being the awesome community we are capable of!
silva, LedBoots and leedsveg like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Naturebound is offline  
#58 Old 07-02-2016, 05:11 AM
Veggie Regular
 
karenlovessnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Home Sweet Home
Posts: 12,079
Attention - Password and Security Update

Just to be clear, I meant "easy" as in, I hate change, but if it has to happen I need it to be as easy as possible. In that respect, if it was intentional (and I can't imagine it was) that people would be unable to log in so that they were forced to sign up with a new name, that should have been made clear from the start.

I agree with you, NB, that some of the members see this, and other forums, as a community. I have formed real attachments and emotional binding to many members, even though it is likely I will never meet them in person.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
silva and LedBoots like this.

Last edited by karenlovessnow; 07-02-2016 at 07:03 AM.
karenlovessnow is offline  
#59 Old 07-05-2016, 03:01 PM
Administrator
 
CricketVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixrising View Post
Yeah, I couldn't get back on.

So... hello again, everyone! I've missed this place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beancounter2 View Post
Hi,

My original user name was Beancounter, and I have been a member for many years.

I registered back then with an email account that I no longer have.

I followed the instructions to notify the Admins about this a few weeks ago, but have not received a response, so I assume they are backlogged, or I didn't provide the correct information.

So, just when you thought it was safe to go back into the Compost Heap again....
I sent both of you a PM with my email address.

If you are still unable to login to your old account, please contact me so that I can help you.
CricketVS is offline  
#60 Old 07-06-2016, 09:33 AM
ficbot01
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I tried three times to log in with the new password it sent me and it didn't work. Finally, I re-read the email more carefully and realized you guys changed my username too! My post count, history, everything all gone and I am a newbie again. I accept having to change my password for every site I visit. But I refuse to have to memorize a list of numerous *usernames* too. Can someone advise me on how to change it back? I searched the preferences and found nothing. I am trying to spend less time on the internet anyway; I won't post here anymore if I have to remember a new username for it.
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off