Has the site been hacked and emails gathered? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-28-2014, 06:09 AM
Siv
Veggie Regular

Has the site been hacked and emails gathered?

I use a catchall email box which works by sending all email to my domain to a single mailbox. This lets me use unique emails for every site I visit where subscription is necessary. For veggieboards, I'm using [email protected]*mydomain*.net and this is the only site where I have used that email.

This week, I have started receiving a bunch of spam mail (e.g. "Buy Cheap Meds") sent to the [email protected] email address. This is the first time this has happened - have we been hacked?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-28-2014, 07:39 AM
Siv
Veggie Regular

Here's the latest one (there was a clickable link probably taking you to a spam site):

Subject: hi there veggie
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 16:09:55 +0200
To: veggie <[email protected]*****.net>

Hello veggie, my name is Anna. I'm 19 years old.
I have never written to men first, but decided to try. I hope I was not mistaken in you.
More about me you will find on link below

[ View my profile ]

I'm waiting for you online
--
Tracie
Sent with Airmail
#3 Old 08-28-2014, 10:15 AM
Beginner

I've been getting pop-ups this morning. First time ever, only when I'm on veggieboards. None when I was on other sites.

COULD be because some of my settings were changed by an incompetent school IT guy, if we're supposed to have pop-ups while using the forums?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-28-2014, 11:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Siv, thanks for bringing this up. I'll bring this matter to the attention of the other moderators and tech.

Thanks.

Aristede

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#5 Old 08-29-2014, 05:52 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siv View Post
I use a catchall email box which works by sending all email to my domain to a single mailbox. This lets me use unique emails for every site I visit where subscription is necessary. For veggieboards, I'm using [email protected]*mydomain*.net and this is the only site where I have used that email.

This week, I have started receiving a bunch of spam mail (e.g. "Buy Cheap Meds") sent to the [email protected] email address. This is the first time this has happened - have we been hacked?
Hello Siv,

Sorry to hear about that. When you start to notice the increase of spam in your inbox?
Can you send me a PM with your email address and some more info. I would also flag all the spam you get it help prevent it from coming back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anole View Post
I've been getting pop-ups this morning. First time ever, only when I'm on veggieboards. None when I was on other sites.

COULD be because some of my settings were changed by an incompetent school IT guy, if we're supposed to have pop-ups while using the forums?

Are they little text ads? They could be the intelleTXT ads showing up for you. They can be disabled in your edit details section of the User CP. If the ads you're having are different then what I described, could you grab a screenshot of them and post it here.

Cheers,

~ dm, community support
#6 Old 09-09-2014, 07:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Hot 19 year olds wanting men? Why would you reject that?
#7 Old 09-10-2014, 07:17 AM
Don't Eat Animals.

I have been getting pop-ups, too. They take up the whole screen in a new tab.

There was a different one a few days ago.

Here's one I captured today.

Screen Shot 2014-09-10 at 9.14.38 AM.png

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#8 Old 09-10-2014, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Are you seeing these on a desktop or mobile?
KN
#9 Old 09-10-2014, 03:14 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Mac Book Pro Laptop.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#10 Old 09-11-2014, 07:22 AM
Administrator

That looks like something on your mac :S anyone else seeing something like this?
KN
#11 Old 09-11-2014, 03:07 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

It only happens on the VB website.

#12 Old 09-11-2014, 04:20 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Just got this one.....it only happens on the VB website, as well.

Screen Shot 2014-09-11 at 5.08.21 PM.png

#13 Old 09-12-2014, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Is it anywhere on the board or specific threads? Also what browser are you using?
KN
#14 Old 09-12-2014, 08:16 AM
Don't Eat Animals.

I'm using FIREFOX. I'll see if it's related to a specific place if it happens again.

#15 Old 09-12-2014, 07:14 PM
Beginner

I've gotten a few more full-screen pop-ups, although I haven't taken a screenshot yet (I keep forgetting and closing them ASAP). I'm on a mac laptop using chrome, and it's still only on veggieboards that it happens.
#16 Old 09-12-2014, 07:30 PM

Diesel - hahaha, thanks for the laugh.

On a serious note - I seem to be o.k. - no pop-ups, no more spam that usual - using Firefox.
Don't know if that will help.

Being a healthy vegan is definitely the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page