Why are all threads on Honey being merged into a super thread? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By River
  • 1 Post By Werewolf Girl
  • 2 Post By Capstan
  • 1 Post By logic
  • 4 Post By Capstan
  • 3 Post By leedsveg
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 05-06-2014, 10:24 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 2,108
Why are all threads on honey being merged into a super thread? There are numerous common themes and questions that come up on this site and they don't get merged into some ancient super thread....so why is this being done for discussions on honey?

Is this site still vegetarian friendly or have things changed?
logic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 05-06-2014, 10:30 PM
Herbivorous Urchin
 
River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by logic View Post

Why are all threads on honey being merged into a super thread? There are numerous common themes and questions that come up on this site and they don't get merged into some ancient super thread....so why is this being done for discussions on honey?

Is this site still vegetarian friendly or have things changed?

The super thread has existed for a long long time, one of my first posts on this forum was a thread about honey. It was promtply moved as well. The honey super thread was "lost" for a while, but as we have had three recent honey threads, it seemed like a good time to declutter the board.

Vegetarianism is still more than welcome, and had nothing to do with the merges. I don't believe anyone questions whether or not honey is vegetarian, and vegetarianism does not often come up when discussing honey.

Did that answer your question logic?

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
River is offline  
#3 Old 05-06-2014, 10:40 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 2,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

The super thread has existed for a long long time, one of my first posts on this forum was a thread about honey. It was promtply moved as well. The honey super thread was "lost" for a while, but as we have had three recent honey threads, it seemed like a good time to declutter the board.
Are all threads with common themes going to be merged? If not, why is honey singled out? Also the super thread is about whether honey is vegan or not so is it only threads about this particular question that will get moved?
logic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 05-06-2014, 10:45 PM
Herbivorous Urchin
 
River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,721
Honey has been the (as far as I am aware) only subject consistently merged into a auper thread, and there are no conversations about changing that.

Honey is singled out because they tend to pop up in waves and start fights, thus ending up in the heap. Having multiple active honey threads causes clutter, and often all three recycle the same discussion.

Peta threads used to cause similar trouble, and Michael, the original owner, considered a PETA super thread or banning PETA fights. This never happened, but like PETA, many vegans are exhausted by constant honey threads.

This is not a new super thread, to be clear.
leedsveg likes this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
River is offline  
#5 Old 05-06-2014, 10:51 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 2,108
So any topic about honey is going to be merged into a super thread about whether honey is vegan? I'm having trouble understanding that, basically, we can't create threads about honey even though its a perfectly legitimate vegetarian topic.
logic is offline  
#6 Old 05-06-2014, 10:56 PM
Herbivorous Urchin
 
River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,721
All three threads merged to the super thread were on how vegan honey is. The honey super thread's title explicitly says the thread's purpose. It is to discuss the (un)vegan nature of honey.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
River is offline  
#7 Old 05-06-2014, 11:00 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 2,108
Great, so one can create a thread about the ethics of honey consumption and it won't be moved to that ghastly thread?
logic is offline  
#8 Old 05-06-2014, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator
 
Werewolf Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 16,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

All three threads merged to the super thread were on how vegan honey is. The honey super thread's title explicitly says the thread's purpose. It is to discuss the (un)vegan nature of honey.

Exactly, we've just had exactly the same discussions over and over and over and OVER again. Even in the 5 years I've been here I've probably seen the exact same conversation rehashed over 20 times, and VB has been around since 2000 so I can only imagine how many other times it's come up.

If you want to start a discussion about honey in the Vegetarian Forum or General Food Discussions that's NOT about whether or not honey is vegan be my guest.
Tom likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Werewolf Girl is offline  
#9 Old 05-06-2014, 11:56 PM
Impeach the gangster
 
Capstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by logic View Post

Great, so one can create a thread about the ethics of honey consumption and it won't be moved to that ghastly thread?

 

I'd be fine with that, provided such a thread is not started in the Vegan Support forums, and does not attempt to redefine the term, vegan, to include honey consumption, nor resorts to calling out or otherwise undermining vegans for their abstinence. We do not permit vegans to hassle vegetarians about their lifestyle. It cuts both ways. Honey is a vegetarian food, not vegan; therefore, may I suggest, if you wish to discuss the ethics of honey consumption, you do so in terms of vegetarianism, within the appropriate areas. Any honey threads started relating directly to veganism, or evolving into such a debate, will be removed to the Superthread.

Tom and mags102 like this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
Capstan is offline  
#10 Old 05-07-2014, 12:49 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 2,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

I'd be fine with that, provided such a thread is not started in the Vegan Support forums, and does not attempt to redefine the term, vegan, to include honey consumption, nor resorts to calling out or otherwise undermining vegans for their abstinence.
Wait....so vegetarians can't say anything that may undermine a position held by vegans? That seems like a double standard as vegans are allowed to make ethical arguments against dairy, etc that could undermine vegetarianism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

may I suggest, if you wish to discuss the ethics of honey consumption, you do so in terms of vegetarianism, within the appropriate areas. Any honey threads started relating directly to veganism, or evolving into such a debate, will be removed to the Superthread.
I'm not sure what it means to discuss the ethics of honey "in terms of vegetarianism" but one can certainly talk about ethical issues without mentioning veganism, after all, veganism isn't an ethical theory.

But, okay, we can discuss the ethics of honey without it being merged into the ghastly super thread so long as we don't use the V-word.
unethicalvegan likes this.
logic is offline  
#11 Old 05-07-2014, 01:42 AM
Impeach the gangster
 
Capstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by logic View Post


Wait....so vegetarians can't say anything that may undermine a position held by vegans? That seems like a double standard as vegans are allowed to make ethical arguments against dairy, etc that could undermine vegetarianism.

 

It's the position of VB to support both vegetarians and vegans. It's why we have separate forums for these two lifestyles. Vegans are not permitted to argue against vegetarianism in the Vegetarian forums. If you encounter violations of this, you should report it to the mods. By the same token, arguments in favor of non-vegan foods should be kept out of the Vegan forums. It's not so much a question of what you say, as of where you say it; however, be aware that attempts to redefine veganism to include non-vegan foods and practices will likely be moved to The Compost Heap, and if they're specifically about honey, to the Honey Superthread. We are not going to change the definition of veganism, for the sake of those wishing to call themselves vegan, while practicing a non-vegan lifestyle. We also have General Food Discussion and General Health Discussion forums, and The Veggie Patch, which is for "off-topic" conversations, such as ethical considerations and what-not.

 

Quote:
I'm not sure what it means to discuss the ethics of honey "in terms of vegetarianism" but one can certainly talk about ethical issues without mentioning veganism, after all, veganism isn't an ethical theory. 

 

No one's arguing with you about that.


"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
Capstan is offline  
#12 Old 05-07-2014, 02:12 AM
Impeach the gangster
 
Capstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by logic View Post


But, okay, we can discuss the ethics of honey without it being merged into the ghastly super thread so long as we don't use the V-word.
 

 

Basically, yes.


"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
Capstan is offline  
#13 Old 05-07-2014, 03:43 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,325

To be honest, I get bored with non-vegans coming out with the same old stuff about honey. This also applies to threads on oysters/bivalves.

 

Nothing I can prove but I have a horrible feeling that members may have been driven away from VeggieBoards because of the honey/oyster threads. 

 

I tend not to contribute now, hoping that the threads "wither on the vine" as quickly as possible. 

leedsveg is offline  
#14 Old 05-07-2014, 06:06 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post
 

 

It's the position of VB to support both vegetarians and vegans. It's why we have separate forums for these two lifestyles. Vegans are not permitted to argue against vegetarianism in the Vegetarian forums. If you encounter violations of this, you should report it to the mods. By the same token, arguments in favor of non-vegan foods should be kept out of the Vegan forums. It's not so much a question of what you say, as of where you say it; however, be aware that attempts to redefine veganism to include non-vegan foods and practices will likely be moved to The Compost Heap, and if they're specifically about honey, to the Honey Superthread. We are not going to change the definition of veganism, for the sake of those wishing to call themselves vegan, while practicing a non-vegan lifestyle. We also have General Food Discussion and General Health Discussion forums, and The Veggie Patch, which is for "off-topic" conversations, such as ethical considerations and what-not.

 

 

No one's arguing with you about that.

 

Is there a clear consensus among the vegan sub forum on what exactly a vegan lifestyle pertains to? As someone new to veganism, I would find it useful, and I am sure others finding their way to the forum would too. 

Tree Trunks is offline  
#15 Old 05-07-2014, 06:09 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post
 

To be honest, I get bored with non-vegans coming out with the same old stuff about honey. This also applies to threads on oysters/bivalves.

 

Nothing I can prove but I have a horrible feeling that members may have been driven away from VeggieBoards because of the honey/oyster threads. 

 

I tend not to contribute now, hoping that the threads "wither on the vine" as quickly as possible. 

 

Perhaps leave it to someone else to participate in those discussions. If you are bored it may show in your responses and have a negative impact on someone's decision to become vegan.

Tree Trunks is offline  
#16 Old 05-07-2014, 06:16 AM
Ankle Biter
 
Poppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Central Virginia, USA
Posts: 9,332
I think you're right leedsveg. I know I took a long break from VB because I was worn down by the oyster/bivalve/fish eggs discussions. sad.gif

Honey threads have a history of blowing up. It will be interesting to see how many times the words "bee vomit" appear in a thread about the nutritional value of honey in the vegetarian forum.tongue3.gif

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
Poppy is offline  
#17 Old 05-07-2014, 06:19 AM
Ankle Biter
 
Poppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Central Virginia, USA
Posts: 9,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Trunks View Post

Is there a clear consensus among the vegan sub forum on what exactly a vegan lifestyle pertains to? As someone new to veganism, I would find it useful, and I am sure others finding their way to the forum would too. 

Clear consensuses among vegans are very rare!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
Poppy is offline  
#18 Old 05-07-2014, 06:22 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post


Clear consensuses among vegans are very rare!

 

So if there is no consensus,  how do any of us know if we are vegan or not?

Tree Trunks is offline  
#19 Old 05-07-2014, 08:04 AM
Herbivorous Urchin
 
River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Trunks View Post

So if there is no consensus,  how do any of us know if we are vegan or not?

Veganism is defined on this board as abstaining from ALL animal products and products which cause harm to animals, as far as practical and possible.

Veganism is NOT just dietary.

I am locking this thread as we have answered the original question, and it is veering off.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
River is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off