Regarding VeggieBoards on the Huddler Platform - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-31-2012, 06:01 PM

Some of the users in this community have expressed concern over the fact that VeggieBoards is now owned and operated by Huddler, a company whose believes are not strictly vegetarian. I wanted to start this post to answer these concerns on behalf of Huddler, as well as to provide a space for an open conversation on this subject. 

Huddler powers communities of all types and interests, but it doesn't mean we have a preference or bias toward one or the other. Huddler employs some people who eat meat and some who don't (as well as people of different races, religions, political views, etc.). But the company has no stance on one or the other - we respect everyone’s personal choices and belief systems, whether they are employees or forum members. 

Anyone on VeggieBoards concerned with a conflict of interests with Huddler ought to also consider not using Facebook, Tumblr, Pinterest, Twitter, or any other large scale community platform, because all of those host discussions and profiles by meat publications or vendors. At that point, anyone truly concerned with this might as well give up using a majority of the internet due to similar associations. 

VeggieBoards is part of the Huddler network because of what it represents: a unique community for like-minded vegetarians and vegans to connect and share their opinions. Attempting to change that would be only to Huddler's detriment; the value of the site is in its community. Not to mention that our interest only lies in making this community better for its members. Huddler thrives when its communities thrive. 

Regarding meat ads on VeggieBoards - we are doing our best to block these ads in a heartbeat, as soon as you report them to us. We do apologize that you have to see such ads once in a while. A lot of the ad networks group ads by “food” without having a distinction for vegetarian or vegan-only ads. Since this is outside of Huddler’s control, we can only reactively block inappropriate ads when you report them to us. 

But the bottom line is that Huddler has no ulterior motives or agenda and wants nothing more than to see the VeggieBoards community thrive. We want existing users to continue using the boards and feel just as safe and comfortable as they’ve ever felt. So if any of you have considered leaving the site as a result of the change in ownership and management, we urge you to reconsider this decision and we assure you that our mission is to keep VeggieBoards true to its core values. We have no intention, nor interest in changing the tone of the forums or the type of content published on the site.

If you have any other questions or concerns, I'm here to answer them. 

Best, 

Monica

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-31-2012, 06:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I have no issue with VB but I don't understand this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monicas View Post

FB, Pinterest, twitter don't profess to be strictly for vegetarians and vegans.
#3 Old 10-31-2012, 11:02 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Monica, This post might have been more effective if it had been posted months ago. Lots of people have left.

And what do you mean by the Facebook, Twitter remark? It reminds me of when people say using a computer isn't vegan, or I shouldn't drive a car and be vegan. This site is not like Facebook, open to all, it is a specialty site for people who don't eat meat.
Wtf, really.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-01-2012, 08:57 AM
Veggie Regular

this post seems pretty pointless. anyone that was going to be influenced by this to stay has left months ago and won't even be reading it. also, if huddler cared they'd have addressed concerns when they happened and not months later. although some things are still being ignored

Quote:

Anyone on VeggieBoards concerned with a conflict of interests with Huddler ought to also consider not using Facebook, Tumblr, Pinterest, Twitter, or any other large scale community platform, because all of those host discussions and profiles by meat publications or vendors. At that point, anyone truly concerned with this might as well give up using a majority of the internet due to similar associations. 
completely missed the point.
#5 Old 11-01-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

Monica, This post might have been more effective if it had been posted months ago. Lots of people have left.
And what do you mean by the Facebook, Twitter remark? This site is not like Facebook, open to all, it is a specialty site for people who don't eat meat.

Hi LedBoots, 

One of the main reasons why I made this post was because nothing had been said until now. We've been extremely busy with getting the new site up and running, and the team was short on staff at the time. There is no excuse for not answering your concerns in a more timely manner, but I am here now to answer any questions you may have about the platform. I wish I could bring those users back, but all I can do now is make it better for existing and future users.

Regarding VeggieBoards being a specialty site, there is no doubt about that - but since it's a large online community, it is powered by a robust platform that specializes in building online forum software. It would not be feasible for a site owner to build their own software from scratch and maintain it. Another similar example are blogs: if someone starts a vegan blog, they would most likely host it on a blogging platform, such as WordPress, Blogger, etc. - they would not build a blogging tool from scratch. With this analogy in mind, Huddler provides the platform that enables the VeggieBoards community to thrive. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirpkatze View Post

Anyone that was going to be influenced by this to stay has left months ago and won't even be reading it. also, if huddler cared they'd have addressed concerns when they happened and not months later. although some things are still being ignored.

Hi zirpkatze

Regarding your comment about things that are being ignored - please post them in this forum and either Jennifer or I will do our best to answer them. Thank you!

#6 Old 11-01-2012, 11:01 AM

Another user was asking if they can delete their account (because they want to leave the community for the same reason mentioned above) and I owe that user an answer: 

Due to the destructive consequences of deleting an account (and all posts made by that user) - imagine losing context if you delete a thread starting post, or a conversation which would no longer make sense if certain posts were missing - account deletion is not possible.

One alternative option is to change the username, password and email address associated with that account. 

Also, the user can go in and delete individual posts or edit posts he or she made in the past.

#7 Old 11-01-2012, 11:03 AM

Members are not able to delete their own posts.  The best they can do is edit a post to show a single character.  They've been asking about the ability to delete their posts since the switch.

I'm a moderator in disquise. 

#8 Old 11-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Ankle Biter

^^^That was me, by the way. smiley.gif We use SneakyPete to see the board as a non-mod member would see it. There is no delete button for members.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#9 Old 11-01-2012, 11:14 AM

I was not aware that the "delete post" button is missing when using the site as a regular user. I will see what I can find out about it and get back to you as soon as possible with an answer. 

Best, 

Monica

#10 Old 11-01-2012, 12:50 PM
Banned

I would like to have all of my posts in locked threads deleted. (Due to the personal nature of the Slut threads, I posted things in there that I would not have posted, had I known that Huddler would happen to the board.) A mod has graciously offered to help me with this, should I find the posts I would like removed. I feel it's unfair to impose this amount of work on a mod.

Is there another way I can get the posts removed?

Failing that, how would I go about having my user name permanently changed?
#11 Old 11-01-2012, 01:40 PM

Hi RabbitLuvr, 

Currently, the only way to get those posts in a locked thread removed is by having a moderator do it. 

We can also change your email address, password and username, so the account is no longer tied to you. 

#12 Old 11-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:

If you have any other questions or concerns, I'm here to answer them. 

Best, 

Monica

I have a concern with the above statement. Can you explain it a little more please? On the surface, it appears snarky and ignorant, so I must be misunderstanding something.
#13 Old 11-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi Monica,

Respectfully, I don't think arguing that people shouldn't have a problem with the fact that Huddler isn't a vegetarian company is very constructive. Personally, it's not an issue for me as long as the moderators and administrators of the site are all vegetarian and/or vegan (which is still the case), but if others feel differently then I'd say that is up to them. As has been pointed out, several months ago would have been a more ideal time for this (I also believe such a thread was promised at the time). However, late is better than never and I do give you some props for opening yourself up to questions. 

By "operated by Huddler" you are referring to the technical side (i.e. software, servers, etc) of things, correct?
#14 Old 11-01-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:

I think it's far more valid to be concerned by the tone that statement comes across with which is incredibly condescending. As someone who came after the switch, I find it odd that a representative of the company taking over VB would even attempt to make such a comparison.

If you had left out that entire paragraph your entire post would have been very heartening; I am now actually concerned. Is there a reason you felt that was appropriate or even needed? Do you realize how much of a back-handed insult that came across as?

Please continue with your efforts to promote and grow the community based off what made it such a success, your addressing of the meat related advertisements and their removals have been very considerate and quick...but explain, please, what in the world you meant by that comment other than to be rude?

As LedBoots said, I must be misunderstanding something.
#15 Old 11-01-2012, 09:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Regarding your comment about things that are being ignored - please post them in this forum and either Jennifer or I will do our best to answer them. Thank you!
this seems to be an issue still. might be a good place to start working
#16 Old 11-02-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

Hi Monica,

As has been pointed out, several months ago would have been a more ideal time for this (I also believe such a thread was promised at the time). However, late is better than never and I do give you some props for opening yourself up to questions. 

By "operated by Huddler" you are referring to the technical side (i.e. software, servers, etc) of things, correct?

Hi Cornsail, 

Thank you for the props! And yes, by operated we mean software and servers, since Huddler is the platform on which the forums live. Jennifer is the site administrator and she is vegetarian. I help her out with platform-related questions, site growth and planning, but I don't write content, nor do I moderate any of the forums, since I am not vegetarian and it would not be my place to do so. But I respect the community and admire how thriving, passionate and creative it is. Thanks again! 

#17 Old 11-02-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medeina View Post

Please continue with your efforts to promote and grow the community based off what made it such a success, your addressing of the meat related advertisements and their removals have been very considerate and quick...but explain, please, what in the world you meant by that comment other than to be rude?
As LedBoots said, I must be misunderstanding something.

HI Medeina, 

I am so sorry if it came off as an insult - I can assure you it wasn't meant to be one. I was merely trying to compare us with other platforms that specialize in a certain type of software: blogging, social networking, etc. - and how each of these platforms (us included) hosts a variety of sites and companies with different (sometimes opposing) points of view. 

#18 Old 11-02-2012, 06:22 PM

One of the reason that a lot of us are veg*n is that we don't like the objectification of animals, that is treating animals as a means to make money, or turn into food, and the Huddler thing, ironically, feels just like it is objectifying a lot of us. That is turning people's thoughts and feelings, about animal rights etc, into a way to turn a profit,

If a forum was owned by a veggie who just paid for the use of forum software(like VBulletin) of which I think there are many, then that owner might make a profit, but the forum software designers would only make a set profit, that wasn't directly connected to what people wrote, so that wouldn't be objectifying the community in quite the same way.

Would Huddler consider selling Veggieboard to an individual veg*n?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page