ads on the site - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-01-2012, 10:10 AM

picture of kfc.pdf 137k .pdf file

I have a question ... who controls the ads for this site ..... I keep seeing a kfc one... which seems a little off since this is a veg*n website ....  rolleyes.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-01-2012, 10:23 AM
Zelda Freak

Well, that's lovely. I'll forward this to Huddler. I know we've had ad issues in the past but not sure what's going on to fix it. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
#3 Old 08-01-2012, 10:26 AM

oh okay just wondering .... juggle.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-01-2012, 10:32 AM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

I keep seeing a burger one. Plus insect killers :'(

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#5 Old 08-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

I keep seeing a burger one. Plus insect killers :'(

Huddler says they'll, "Forward to ad sales and we'll block KFC." I'll forward the other stuff too. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#6 Old 08-01-2012, 12:31 PM

Just blocked KFC.  The main problem with the ads is that it's basically impossible to block out "meat" ads without additionally block out all other food ads, which is not ideal given that we'd like to see vegetarian food ads from Google.  We have a long list of blocked ads at this point, but with user feedback we can ban others as well.  Thanks for being patient with this!

#7 Old 08-01-2012, 12:46 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post

Huddler says they'll, "Forward to ad sales and we'll block KFC." I'll forward the other stuff too. 

I have a question. Is it simply seeing the ads that gets revenue for the site? Or do you have to click them? Just curious.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#8 Old 08-01-2012, 12:47 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by huddler View Post

Just blocked KFC.  The main problem with the ads is that it's basically impossible to block out "meat" ads without additionally block out all other food ads, which is not idea given that we'd like to see vegetarian food ads from Google.  We have a long list of blocked ads at this point, but with user feedback we can ban others as well.  Thanks for being patient with this!

Oh yay, thank you :)

#9 Old 08-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

I have a question. Is it simply seeing the ads that gets revenue for the site? Or do you have to click them? Just curious.

I don't handle Huddler ads so I'm not sure who all they use (I've seen Google on here, but really don't pay attention to if there are others). But ad companies for websites come in different flavors. Some pay for the view - i.e. they pay you to promote their ad on a purely visual basis. Some pay per click and others pay per page view (say your page gets 100,000 views vs. 1,000). Some companies do a mixed bag approach. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#10 Old 08-01-2012, 01:00 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post

I don't handle Huddler ads so I'm not sure who all they use (I've seen Google on here, but really don't pay attention to if there are others). But ad companies for websites come in different flavors. Some pay for the view - i.e. they pay you to promote their ad on a purely visual basis. Some pay per click and others pay per page view (say your page gets 100,000 views vs. 1,000). Some companies do a mixed bag approach. 

Oh okay that's good to know ^_^ thanks.

#11 Old 08-17-2012, 12:13 PM

Can I add Dominos to the list? 

They may do good veggie pizzas but their adverts are always for meat ones. 

“People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” 

#12 Old 05-11-2013, 05:49 AM
Vegan Very Metal

What about typically non green ads? I often see ads for flights, cars and scumbag banks. I would assume that these things are not a problem with huddler, seeing as this is a vegetarian board, but they always irritate the hell out of me. It would be nice to view this board without being bombarded by companies that i despise. Dream on i suppose, as unethical profits will always take precedence.sad.gif
Colorsntrees likes this.
#13 Old 10-04-2013, 06:08 AM

Can I ask that the Lidl advert be taken off the site. It's coming up on EVERY page that I'm going to and it shows meat in huge detail. It's awful and completely inappropriate. 

“People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” 

#14 Old 10-04-2013, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieFee View Post

Can I ask that the Lidl advert be taken off the site. It's coming up on EVERY page that I'm going to and it shows meat in huge detail. It's awful and completely inappropriate. 

Thanks for catching that! I'll send a PM to Jennifer C our admin and ask her to get it taken down.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#15 Old 10-05-2013, 11:05 AM

Normally the Google Adsense ads you see are based on your interests, the websites you visited, the searches you have done...

So an easy way to get rid of them is to delete the cookies on your browser :up:

Aristede likes this.
#16 Old 10-08-2013, 02:54 AM
Veggie Regular

I am not sure all the ad's here are posted by Adsense. As members above have stated, there are ads by KFC, TotalRecipeSearch.com (which has put photos of meat based recipes) and Acorn shoes (wool based which I assume we all stand against) and I've searched for none of those, so these aren't by Google.

Jennifer, I appreciate the fact that efforts are being put to avoid such ads and I realize that its impossible to detect which kind of ads Huddler chooses to put on the site. I guess we need to do this only because such ads make our collective sincere efforts seem contradictory to the outsider. This site would be a great place for vegan friendly/pro-environment firms and hope they take notice.

The earth has enough resources for everyones need but not their greed.

#17 Old 10-09-2013, 01:05 PM
Zelda Freak

Hey everyone - sorry about meat ads :( 

If you need to report a meat ad, Huddler has told me that it helps to include a screenshot of the ad, as it helps them suss out which ad agency it's from. 

More instructions here -  where and how to report meat ads

I'll try to check in on that meat reporting thread so I can send reports to Huddler. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page