New VeggieBoards Admin - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-21-2012, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Over the last few weeks I've been working with Huddler to find someone to take over administrative duties and serve as a liaison between the VB community and Huddler. Huddler will continue to handle the technical side of things with the new administrator focusing on the community itself - facilitating discussion, creating content, welcoming new members, etc. And yes, she is a vegetarian. smiley.gif Without further ado, I'd like to introduce you to our new administrator - Jennifer C...

https://www.veggieboards.com/u/55681/jennifer-c

Here is a note from Jennifer, I'm sure she'll be along shortly to say hello... smiley.gif
Quote:
"Hey everyone, my name is Jennifer. I recently joined VeggieBoards as a new member, but beyond that, I plan on helping to grow the VeggieBoards community, so I figured an introduction was in order.

I've been a full time vegetarian since I was a teen (with a odd break from vegetarian living mid-life - see below). I grew up in an on again, off again vegetarian household and was never a huge fan of meat growing up, mainly due to taste. As I got older and realized how icky meat's footprint can be for the planet, and how unhealthy meat can be, I liked it even less. About three years ago I had this crazy, "Hey, I want to eat meat" moment (I know, weird). I ate meat once in a while for about a year (NOT red meat or pork, just poultry and fish), but then decided to go back to not eating it. I'm currently a vegetarian and I've been a vegetarian for more years of my life than not.

VeggieBoards is a very attractive community to me, because although I've been a vegetarian for years, it can still be complicated to eat this way at times. For example, when I was pregnant with my son I had REALLY STRONG meat cravings, which was a weird issue with no great solution (I didn't eat meat then, although I wanted to). I've also had to deal with the same learning curves that many vegetarians run into, like finding decent healthy food at restaurants (slim pickings), raising a vegetarian child (who is super picky) and dating meat eaters. I've also been toying with the idea of vegan eating, but that's a whole, much bigger can of worms, and I'm not sure yet if vegan living is for me.

Something else appealing and awesome I've noticed about VeggieBoards, simply from visiting and reading the postings here, is that this is such a huge and vibrant community with tons of great ideas and solutions for vegetarians.

Since I'm planning on working with VeggieBoards to enhance the community you may be wondering about my work background. I've been a freelance writer for around 9 years - the last career I ever thought I'd be involved with (I actually went to college for midwifery). At this point I've done all kinds of freelance writing from tech documents and proposals for companies, non-profits and health organizations to national glossy magazines to online writing. Being that I'm a social person centered in a somewhat isolated career category, I've realized that I enjoy online writing best. You get to make instant connections with others via blog comments, email, forums and social networking and online work allows you to keep up with breaking news (it's always changing and never dull).

I'm lucky because for the past few years I've been able to write about topics I honestly enjoy such as green living, organic gardening, vegetarian and organic cooking and baking, organic industry, health and parenting. I've written for and run social media campaigns for many great sites such as the New York Times Co., Inhabitots, Mother Nature Network, Green Options, SheKnows, b5 Media and more. I also own many of my own eco-blogs.

I have various personal and work-related goals for VeggieBoards. I'd like to gain more insight into vegan eating and be able to connect with others who may have the same common vegetarian problems I've dealt with. I'm also really into low-impact living, and am currently trying to cut back on all food packaging (for example, I make homemade bread instead of buying bread in packages). However, while I like to bake, I'm kind of a slacker cook, which makes it tough to cut out packaging. I'd like to find more vegetarian recipes that are fast, not crazy time intensive but still tasty.

I'd like to help grow and expand the VeggieBoards community, which I'll hopefully be doing via new vegetarian content, posting some of my own tried and true recipes, pumping up the board's social media footprint and more. I'm also eager to hear what current community members would like to see happen in order to keep the boards fun and fresh, plus learn more about what might improve your overall experience here at VeggieBoards."

It's great to meet everyone and I can't wait to hear more about what you'd like to see happen here at VeggieBoards.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-21-2012, 06:56 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Yay! A big welcome to her! ^_^

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#3 Old 06-21-2012, 07:18 PM
Veggie Regular

A brand new member is taking over?  Just picked out of a hat, or what?

She seems fairly unrepresentative of the veg community here (or what it was, I don't know).  I just read about being vegetarian for health and the environment.  Nothing about animals. 

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-21-2012, 07:26 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

A brand new member is taking over?  Just picked out of a hat, or what?

She seems fairly unrepresentative of the veg community here (or what it was, I don't know).  I just read about being vegetarian for health and the environment.  Nothing about animals. 

She will hopefully learn more about the animals rights of being a vegetarian probably from looking around here lol :)

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#5 Old 06-21-2012, 07:31 PM
Ankle Biter

I am very sure that animal rights issues will continue to be a very important part of VB.  

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#6 Old 06-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Oh brother. It's a vegetarian board, not an animal rights board. No one really even asked me why I was a vegetarian, not sure why it would be an issue now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 Old 06-21-2012, 07:47 PM
Veggie Regular

No, but in a transition in which you can see that there is a lot of concern about the integrity of the board and "the community" from long-time members, I would hope there would be some more thought given to additional changes.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#8 Old 06-21-2012, 07:49 PM
Administrator

And there was. She's far more qualified and can bring far more to this community than I ever could. Crazy idea but maybe you could get to know her first.

And again, people are vegetarian for numerous reasons, to be honest I don't care why someone is vegetarian. If you're in it for AR reasons the result is the same.

#9 Old 06-21-2012, 07:55 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

And there was. She's far more qualified and can bring far more to this community than I ever could. Crazy idea but maybe you could get to know her first.
And again, people are vegetarian for numerous reasons, to be honest I don't care why someone is vegetarian. If you're in it for AR reasons the result is the same.

No one is saying she isn't welcome. I'm happy that she's here! :D I'm interested to see what she can bring. I can understand the concern though because a lot of us are vegan or vegetarian for animals and we just don't want to see that get swept under the rug. That is all, but neither I nor anyone else said she would do that, and I'm all about getting to know her and see what she can do. ^_^

#10 Old 06-22-2012, 07:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

It's a vegetarian board, not an animal rights board.

Hi Michael, this must be your first visit here.  Welcome to VeggieBoards!  thumbsup.gif

#11 Old 06-22-2012, 08:31 AM

Welcome Jennifer.

#12 Old 06-22-2012, 10:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi Jennifer,

Welcome to VB!

What is your relationship to huddler? (the business, not the member)

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#13 Old 06-22-2012, 10:41 AM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

She will hopefully learn more about the animals rights of being a vegetarian probably from looking around here lol :)

Hi everyone. The above is true - I can always learn more (everyone can) about why we eat how we do.

In my house, when I was a kid, we didn't eat meat on and off from the time I was born. My mom had odd stints of going vegetarian, but I can't remember her ever giving my siblings or me any concrete reasons as to why, other than, "We're just not going to eat meat." Honestly, I have no idea if she was concerned about animals, didn't like meat for other reasons, or was simply going along with what her pals were doing. Once in a while she'd mention that meat, "Wasn't healthy" but that's as far as the conversation went. As a kid, if you're not given reasons for actions, you draw your own conclusions, and my conclusion was that meat tasted terrible, so maybe that's why we weren't eating it. 

Growing up, I had animals around (dogs, cats, horses) and obviously we were taught to be kind to them, but animals didn't come up much in a "You shouldn't eat them" sort of conversation. By the time animal rights came to my attention (via some newly vegetarian friends who were passionate about animals) I was a teen and had already been a vegetarian for years. So, for me to say I became a vegetarian due specifically to animal rights would be false - but it doesn't mean that this issue hasn't come into play in my household. 

I wanted my own son (Cedar) who I raised vegetarian from birth, to have more information about this decision than I was given as a kid, and we have discussed many more aspects of not eating meat than my mom discussed with me. We've talked about health, the environment and animal rights. When I've written about going vegetarian for various clients and at my own site, I've also brought up all these issues. I think it's useful for folks to get a whole picture, not just one reason why they shouldn't eat meat.

Not eating meat is beneficial for the planet, people and animals for lots of reasons, not just one. And, in my opinion, if someone's not eating meat, the benefits still play out, no matter why they first made the decision. 

The integrity of the boards and their usefulness is already evident. My main goal here is to help make the boards better, not by changing what's important to current members or sweeping issues away, but to help by adding new content based on my experiences, promote content via social media (something I'm good at) and hopefully help more people outside the boards become aware of the issues brought up here.  

Thanks to Michael for the intro and to everyone who said welcome :)

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
#14 Old 06-22-2012, 10:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Hello and welcome to VB Jennifer. I'm looking forward to getting to know you better.

After being vegetarian for 3 years I am a relatively new vegan eater with my 1 year anniversary coming up next month but I am happy to help out with questions about totally plant based food whenever I can.

As foreveraspirit said I am sure you will learn much about animal rights through board participation. I know that I certainly have.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein
#15 Old 06-22-2012, 10:47 AM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post

Hi Jennifer,

Welcome to VB!

What is your relationship to huddler? (the business, not the member)

Hey, 

I worked with another Huddler site - Green Options for a while, which is how I first met up with the Huddler team. I was an admin on their boards, wrote eco-content, worked with PR contacts, ran contests, managed some of their social media and that sort of stuff. I'm not based where Huddler is though. I'm actually freelance and living in Portland, OR. 

Thanks for the welcome.

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#16 Old 06-22-2012, 10:48 AM
Veggie Regular

What surprises me most about this thread is that Michael hasn't locked it yet to prevent any further discussion (in the spirit of developing a forum receptive to community members' concerns).

Anyway, I don't think the health veg*n admin thing would be big news since in the past, VB had an omni admin/mod (Robert) and another omni moderator (Tame).

In general, I've found that making an admin or mod out of someone unfamiliar to the community is a very good policy that engenders the atmosphere where everyone is among friends.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#17 Old 06-22-2012, 11:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

What surprises me most about this thread is that Michael hasn't locked it yet to prevent any further discussion (in the spirit of developing a forum receptive to community members' concerns).

Anyway, I don't think the health veg*n admin thing would be big news since in the past, VB had an omni admin/mod (Robert) and another omni moderator (Tame).

In general, I've found that making an admin or mod out of someone unfamiliar to the community is a very good policy that engenders the atmosphere where everyone is among friends.

As long as an admin is a vegetarian, I don't care what their reason is. (assuming it's genuine, of course)

I'm more concerned about where the money is flowing.

In other words, is the person holding the admin position, loyal to the board and it's purpose, or more loyal to any commissions earned, and the source of those commissions.

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#18 Old 06-22-2012, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to VB, Jennifer! smiley.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#19 Old 06-22-2012, 12:53 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:

As long as an admin is a vegetarian, I don't care what their reason is. (assuming it's genuine, of course)

I'm more concerned about where the money is flowing.

In other words, is the person holding the admin position, loyal to the board and it's purpose, or more loyal to any commissions earned, and the source of those commissions.

Because I work with so many writers and social media managers, I think about the above issue often.

My professional take is that people who are super concerned with page views, commission and so fourth may be able to help grow a site, but if they're not also interested in the community or topic at hand, they come off sounding like robots. There's nothing wrong with commission goals (they help grow sites and keep them viable) but there is something super off kilter when people are only interested in commission goals. You can tell when a site is all about the money. If I visit a site and the writers there are clearly not engaged in a topic that matters to me or they're faking knowledge, I can totally tell and it irks me to no end. 

My personal take is that I'm better at what I do (write, social media, etc) when I'm truly interested. For example, I could help grow page views for a sports site, using basic work tactics I've picked up, but the site could do better. I know zero about sports (except skateboarding). I'd be faking interest and everyone could tell. Worse I'd be crazy bored.

Over the last few years, I've migrated into working only for sites that cover topics that actually interest me, which is more useful for me because I get to hang out, have fun, ask questions, learn new things and help out. In turn I'm more useful to the site in question. Overall, if I wasn't interested in vegetarian living, I wouldn't be here, because life is way too short for boredom shenanagins.

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#20 Old 06-22-2012, 01:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post

Because I work with so many writers and social media managers, I think about the above issue often.

My professional take is that people who are super concerned with page views, commission and so fourth may be able to help grow a site, but if they're not also interested in the community or topic at hand, they come off sounding like robots. There's nothing wrong with commission goals (they help grow sites and keep them viable) but there is something super off kilter when people are only interested in commission goals. You can tell when a site is all about the money. If I visit a site and the writers there are clearly not engaged in a topic that matters to me or they're faking knowledge, I can totally tell and it irks me to no end. 

My personal take is that I'm better at what I do (write, social media, etc) when I'm truly interested. For example, I could help grow page views for a sports site, using basic work tactics I've picked up, but the site could do better. I know zero about sports (except skateboarding). I'd be faking interest and everyone could tell. Worse I'd be crazy bored.

Over the last few years, I've migrated into working only for sites that cover topics that actually interest me, which is more useful for me because I get to hang out, have fun, ask questions, learn new things and help out. In turn I'm more useful to the site in question. Overall, if I wasn't interested in vegetarian living, I wouldn't be here, because life is way too short for boredom shenanagins.

I'm trying to avoid sounding like a jerk, but do you still think it's OK for environmentalist to be onmi's?

Are you still OK with "good" meat?

Do you still feed your family organic meat?

-nomad888
#21 Old 06-22-2012, 01:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Ooh, fun quiz for the new admin!

Do you think it's OK for veg*ns to steal veg*n sweets from small children?

Are you OK with Tom Cruise being a Scientologist?

Does anyone in your extended family have a picture like this: http://image.timepassagesnostalgia.com/watermarked/imagesa4/a468kidprintx2.jpg

on their wall? 

smiley.gif

PS Hiya 

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#22 Old 06-22-2012, 01:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'IckenNoodleSoup View Post

Ooh, fun quiz for the new admin!

Do you think it's OK for veg*ns to steal veg*n sweets from small children?

Are you OK with Tom Cruise being a Scientologist?

Does anyone in your extended family have a picture like this: http://image.timepassagesnostalgia.com/watermarked/imagesa4/a468kidprintx2.jpg

on their wall? 

smiley.gif

PS Hiya 

No quiz. Just some genuine concerns from comments she made in other forums.

-nomad888
#23 Old 06-22-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:

No quiz. Just some genuine concerns from comments she made in other forums.

What other forums? Are you stalking her? Creepy.

#24 Old 06-22-2012, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plant View Post

That was my first thought shocked.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#25 Old 06-22-2012, 02:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi Jennifer!
Glad to hear you're a veg parent. Me too smiley.gif
#26 Old 06-22-2012, 02:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plant View Post

rolleyes.gif I'm sure Beancounter was just asking for more information about her views on vegetarianism as this is a veggie and vegan forum.

#27 Old 06-22-2012, 03:01 PM
Veggie Regular

http://www.growingagreenfamily.com/ten-sane-tips-for-a-green-safe-and-happy-life/

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#28 Old 06-22-2012, 03:04 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:

I'm trying to avoid sounding like a jerk, but do you still think it's OK for environmentalist to be onmi's?

Are you still OK with "good" meat?

Do you still feed your family organic meat?

You don't sound like a jerk. These are good questions. 

I personally believe that eating meat and eco-friendly living don't mix well, because I feel that meat is really detrimental from an environmental standpoint. But I also know that if I start preaching and saying, "Hey, if you eat beef you suck and you're killing the planet," I'll turn more people away from green living than I'll win over, which is not my goal. I think it's ok (but not preferable) if someone eats meat and says they're green, because there are various shades of green and learning curves. 

At the green family site I own, I get a lot of emails and comments from folks who are trying to go green but feel bad that they're not perfect. I've been there - had to listen to people preach at me about how they're so much greener because they're doing such and such and I'm not. People can be really judgmental and frankly it makes me less inclined to try at all. I want people to try, not give up, so I try to be nice, not crazed about issues. 

I take a low-key approach, such as it's smart to try to live green but we all make mistakes and have challenges. I advocate easy starter steps for all green goals, including not eating meat, such as Meatless Monday, easy ways to get protein into veggie kids or stuff like 10 vegetarian meals that meat eaters might like. Starting slow, in my opinion, is better than not trying at all. 

As for sustainable meat or "good" meat...

I don't believe in "animal-friendly" or "ethical" meat, terms I've heard tossed around by some environmentalists and other folks, because in the end it's all the same for the animal. It doesn't really matter if an animal is given pasture time, no antibiotics and better feed or raised in a factory farm does it? Not so much, not for the animal. "Ethical" meat from an animal standpoint makes zero sense and it's not a term I advocate.

Organics have almost nothing to do with animal welfare in my opinion and I think the National Organic Program (NOP) needs insanely better livestock rules. But overall, I feel that organic meat makes more environmental sense than conventional meat, because there are some planet and health (for people) benefits. When people ask me about it, I say, "If you must eat meat, yeah, choose organic,"  but if they're willing, I'll also discuss why it would be better not to eat it at all or to cut way back. 

On buying organic meat:

My home situation is 100% wacky right now because although I don't eat meat and raised my son vegetarian, my partners kids, who live with us part time, eat every type of meat on the planet it seems. Their mom feeds them a lot of bacon and fast food burgers (ugh). I'm not their parent, so it's VERY hard. If the kids want meat, their dad will buy it, because that's how they've been raised. In cases like that I urge them to buy organic over conventional. First though, I make a point of making vegetarian dishes I think they might like, before meat comes up.

If meat is coming into my house though, I'd rather it be organic than not. When I had my weird break from vegetarian eating (mentioned in my intro) I did buy organic, but even so I felt bad, thus went back to no meat. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#29 Old 06-22-2012, 03:17 PM
Zelda Freak

Funny, I almost posted this exact link above to show what I meant about my views on not being perfectly green. For example, three (or 2.5?) years ago (can't remember the exact date - because I didn't journal it), when I decided to eat poultry and fish again, I wasn't perfect and even bought non-ethical fish. I tried not to dwell though. That and the Raid issue and the Skittles issue are things I tend to point out to people because I want folks to understand that there's no such thing as perfect. No perfect parents, no perfect eco-people and so on. 

If you let those nagging perfection issues get to you, it becomes harder to try and improve. Well, for me it does. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#30 Old 06-22-2012, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

If Huddler hadn't changed the software, I would have erased the post after I posted it, because I thought better of it.

Anyway, I wish you well and hope you make lots of money off this site.  Also, in your area there are very few poisonous spiders.  You might try escorting individuals out with a cup and a piece of cardboard rather than poisoning them.

It was an exceptionally poorly handled transition all around, but that's not your fault.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page