New VeggieBoards Admin - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 06-24-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post

Well Ok, if you say so, but IMO oysters are not a grey area.

what organism would be a grey area to you?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 06-24-2012, 03:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

Well this really isn't the right thread for this discussion, but I can tell you what isn't a grey area:

Anything that's an animal.

Last time I checked, oysters were under that classification.

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#63 Old 06-24-2012, 04:39 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

Well this really isn't the right thread for this discussion, but I can tell you what isn't a grey area:

Until oysters start growing on trees, I'll have to agree with this.

Don't they teach the difference between plants and animals in elementary school? huh.gif

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 06-24-2012, 05:39 PM
Ankle Biter

Quote:

The grey areas are not whether something is an animal or not (at least in my mind), but rather, despite the fact that they are animals, whether we choose to continue to exploit them for our own purposes, as when we choose to eat eggs.  These kinds of discussions take place on VeggieBoards all the time - and they should.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#65 Old 06-24-2012, 06:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

The grey areas are not whether something is an animal or not (at least in my mind), but rather, despite the fact that they are animals, whether we choose to continue to exploit them for our own purposes, as when we choose to eat eggs.  These kinds of discussions take place on VeggieBoards all the time - and they should.

That's wasn't the initial assertion made by the OP. It looks like the thread veered off in another direction from when I posted there.

At the time, the OP was insisting that since "oysters can't feel", it's OK to eat them".

That is what I was responding to, and the basis for my concerns.

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#66 Old 06-24-2012, 06:53 PM
Ankle Biter

Quote:

That's wasn't the initial assertion made by the OP. It looks like the thread veered off in another direction from when I posted there.

At the time, the OP was insisting that since "oysters can't feel", it's OK to eat them".

That is what I was responding to, and the basis for my concerns.

Fair enough.  

But a statement like "oysters can't feel so it might be okay to eat them" does not equate to "oysters can't feel so we should eat them".  The op said several times that s/he didn't intend to eat them any time soon.  Peter Singer actually condoned the eating of bi-valves, or so the story goes, so the question of whether or not it's okay has been controversial for a while. 

Yeah, certainly some people like to come on VB and cause trouble by bringing up issues like why isn't it ok to eat oysters, you guys are monsters because plants feel pain, if we stop eating animals they'll take over the world, etc. But in all honesty a lot of our members enjoy engaging in those discussions. If it's an active discussion, not terribly offensive and doesn't break any rules, why not let it go on?  The way things are going these days, someone probably would have complained bitterly for shutting it down if we had! brood.gif

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page