Can we tell who is banned? - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 11-09-2012, 08:50 PM
Veggie Regular

As a mod I can see the word "BANNED" under someone's name if they're banned. I would have thought that it wouldn't be too difficult to grant non-mods the ability to see the same thing? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 11-09-2012, 10:19 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

As a mod I can see the word "BANNED" under someone's name if they're banned. I would have thought that it wouldn't be too difficult to grant non-mods the ability to see the same thing? 

It does seem like it would be an easy fix. Maybe there's some back end deal that makes it difficult if the change needs to happen across the board. I'm not tech, so I'm not sure. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
#63 Old 11-10-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post

Hi everyone. 

I know some of you had questions about wanting to know who is banned, who is not, etc. I brought this up with Huddler's tech folks and did get a response. 

They noted that in order to know who is banned, there would need to be some sort of "banned badge made." Implementing it though, across the board would not be a quick change. According to the tech person I chatted with, a banned badge is, "Not something that's going to happen soon."  

but the moderators can see who is banned, so the software must look to see if someone is a moderator and then print the word "banned" if the person viewing the thread is a mod......it would seem like a fairly simple software change to me.
The only reason I can see for it not to be done is because Huddler don't want people to be able to see who is banned.....Maybe they thing having the word 'banned' under so many people's avatars makes the place seem less harmonious. I think for most people who look and post in forms, seeing that people are banned(like in a 5 year old thread) is common place; no need for alarm.
Whereas not being able to see who is banned creates an atmosphere of paranoia.. Who is banned; who isn't; can someone respond to a comment, or are the disappeared?

The more secrets there are, the less of an atmosphere of trust there is, and the less harmonious a place feels....surely that it obvious?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 11-10-2012, 04:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I wonder if the techs are aware of the fact that mods can see the word banned beneath banned members' names. 

#65 Old 11-10-2012, 06:26 AM
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

but the moderators can see who is banned, so the software must look to see if someone is a moderator and then print the word "banned" if the person viewing the thread is a mod......it would seem like a fairly simple software change to me.
The only reason I can see for it not to be done is because Huddler don't want people to be able to see who is banned.....Maybe they thing having the word 'banned' under so many people's avatars makes the place seem less harmonious. I think for most people who look and post in forms, seeing that people are banned(like in a 5 year old thread) is common place; no need for alarm.
Whereas not being able to see who is banned creates an atmosphere of paranoia.. Who is banned; who isn't; can someone respond to a comment, or are the disappeared?
The more secrets there are, the less of an atmosphere of trust there is, and the less harmonious a place feels....surely that it obvious?

Interesting comment, Blobbenstein. Hopefully everyone will be able to see who is banned in the not so distant future. In the meantime, if you want to know about someone specifically, feel free to ask - there's no reason for bans to be secret. We won't tell you why someone was banned, but we can tell you who.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#66 Old 11-10-2012, 09:34 AM
Zelda Freak

Quote:

I'm not so sure it makes me paranoid when I'm at a forum and I can't see who is banned, but I agree that it's frustrating if you can't know who may (or may not respond) to you. Especially here because people seem to post on older threads here often. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

I wonder if the techs are aware of the fact that mods can see the word banned beneath banned members' names. 

That's a good point. I'll ask. 

Maybe we could just change someone's user name to reflect the ban. Though then I guess if someone's user name was "Banned" for whatever crazy reason that might be confusing. Hmmm. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#67 Old 11-10-2012, 10:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

popcorn.gifThis discussion is making me more and more curious about who has been banned. We need a list. deal2.gif

laugh.gif

#68 Old 11-10-2012, 11:05 AM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

popcorn.gifThis discussion is making me more and more curious about who has been banned. We need a list. deal2.gif

laugh.gif

A list seems extremely time consuming for whoever has to make it. You can look up IP bans here easily, but those are spam issues. I don't see a way to narrow it down to who is banned or not in the general user admin area. 

If people are this curious why not have a thread in this area (Community Assistance) where you can ask if a specific someone is banned? That would be easier than creating a list I think. Then if you run across someone who you're not sure will respond to you or not, you can just ask. In fact, I'll just start a thread now.  

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#69 Old 11-10-2012, 11:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post
A list seems extremely time consuming for whoever has to make it. You can look up IP bans here easily, but those are spam issues. I don't see a way to narrow it down to who is banned or not in the general user admin area. 

Sorry, I was completely joking about needing a list. blush.giftongue3.gif

#70 Old 11-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

Sorry, I was completely joking about needing a list. blush.giftongue3.gif

That's okay. If the community wants to know who is banned, it's a good idea, joke or not. Some people don't seem to be kidding and really want to know who is banned. We have a thread now though. https://www.veggieboards.com/t/138029/need-to-know-who-is-banned

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page