Can we tell who is banned? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 06-15-2012, 04:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhippy View Post

Does the new software not allow for the courtesy of telling a banned member what they were banned for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

At the moment, it doesn't, and I hope that changes.  This change caught us (the moderators) by surprise as we were used to sending a message along with the ban.

I'm not really up with the whole banning process, but couldn't a regular email be sent to the person, then, to let them know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 06-15-2012, 04:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Agreed.

Other software issues and concerns that have not been answered yet:

Why can't our accounts be deleted when we request it? Why can't our pm's be completely deleted as well? I'm not understanding why when we delete a pm it goes straight to the trash folder where it will stay until we send/receive another 20 messages to fill it up again. Why can't the trash folder be emptied???

I'm not really bothered by a lot of the changes, with the exception of this...this really bothers me. sad.gif
#33 Old 06-15-2012, 04:48 AM
Veggie Regular

We've always had an issue with account deletions. To be honest, the mods have always hated them, since it makes it impossible to go back and look up information about an old member. This isn't a problem in most cases, but sometimes we suspect an old member has returned, sometimes a problem member. However, Michael would usually personally delete accounts when people requested it of him specifically; the mods have never been able to do this from a technical standpoint. So, I have told at least one person recently who wanted their account deleted that the best I could do is permanently ban them. I do not know if account deletions are possible in the new software, but if they are, it would be up to Huddler or Michael to take care of that for you. Perhaps contacting one of them via PM would be the most efficient method. (I'm not saying "you" to Fadeaway, but a general "you" to anyone who wants to do this).

At least the mods are aware of the PM issue, but not any solutions yet. Huddler has not been signed on very frequently, so the best I can say is to be patient. I know that's not what anyone wants to hear.

We're also aware that there are some issues with the forum being flagged as malware for some people. I'm not having this problem on any browser, so I don't know what's going on. But know that we know about this. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 06-15-2012, 05:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks Dormouse and mods.

I am very confused by Michael's title. I thought Michael was no longer an admin and just a regular member who no longer had the ability to do take certain actions regarding the software, modding issues, and site in general?

#35 Old 06-15-2012, 05:13 AM
Veggie Regular

From a technical standpoint, he is still an administrator.

#36 Old 06-15-2012, 08:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

Huddler has not been signed on very frequently

It's very confusing if this site means anything to the people who own it now.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#37 Old 06-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Banned

Quote:

I don't like that someone can be banned and not realize it. 

Have no doubt that some people in control of a forum love doing stuff like that. Ohhhhhh that feeling of control and leaving someone with such questions. Makes up for being nothing but a blip in the real world.

#38 Old 06-15-2012, 04:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

We've always had an issue with account deletions... the mods have never been able to do this from a technical standpoint. I do not know if account deletions are possible in the new software, but if they are, it would be up to Huddler or Michael to take care of that for you.

At least the mods are aware of the PM issue, but not any solutions yet. Huddler has not been signed on very frequently, so the best I can say is to be patient. I know that's not what anyone wants to hear.

Thank you for explaining that. smiley.gif
#39 Old 06-30-2012, 03:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I don't like that someone can be banned and not realize it. Or that they will not be shown a reason.

Which is exactly what happened to Clueless Git.

Do you not like it enough to actualy show a reason?

#40 Old 06-30-2012, 05:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Which is exactly what happened to Clueless Git.

Do you not like it enough to actualy show a reason?

Do you really not know why he would have been banned?

#41 Old 06-30-2012, 08:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

Do you really not know why he would have been banned?

If you think it's obvious why not say why you think he was? I can think of reasons people may have wanted to ban him for things he's said months ago, but if there was a recent controversy I missed it.

Even if the reasons seem obvious to the person doing the banning I think it's terrible modding policy to ban a long time member with no explanation.

#42 Old 06-30-2012, 09:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

If you think it's obvious why not say why you think he was? I can think of reasons people may have wanted to ban him for things he's said months ago, but if there was a recent controversy I missed it.

Even if the reasons seem obvious to the person doing the banning I think it's terrible modding policy to ban a long time member with no explanation.

I don't understand why he wasn't banned a lot sooner as a lot of his comments made the women on here feel uncomfortable and it is supposed to be a family-friendly forum but I agree with you that it's a strange policy not to send the person a message with the reason for the ban.

#43 Old 06-30-2012, 09:06 AM
Ankle Biter

Quote:

It isn't policy. This new system has been full of surprises, some of them not so good.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#44 Old 06-30-2012, 09:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It isn't policy. This new system has been full of surprises, some of them not so good.

Oh yeah, I missed your earlier post in the thread. Sorry.

I wonder if something could be improvised for people who were accidentally banned without explanation like unbanning them, sending them a PM and then giving them a limited period of time to read the PM before banning them again. Or in CG's case I'm sure you could just get his email address from HH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie

I don't understand why he wasn't banned a lot sooner as a lot of his comments made the women on here feel uncomfortable and it is supposed to be a family-friendly forum but I agree with you that it's a strange policy not to send the person a message with the reason for the ban.

But did he make any of those comments recently before his ban? I also think it'd be strange to ban someone for something they did months beforehand.

#45 Old 06-30-2012, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Oh right. smiley.gif

Quote:

But did he make any of those comments recently before his ban?

I don't know.

#46 Old 06-30-2012, 10:57 AM
Ankle Biter

Quote:

I wonder if something could be improvised for people who were accidentally banned without explanation like unbanning them, sending them a PM and then giving them a limited period of time to read the PM before banning them again. Or in CG's case I'm sure you could just get his email address from HH.

Thanks for the feedback - it's good. smiley.gif

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#47 Old 06-30-2012, 01:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

But did he make any of those comments recently before his ban? I also think it'd be strange to ban someone for something they did months beforehand.

Well I reported a posting of his maybe 4 or 5 weeks ago. If others reported his posting(s) around that time, I wouldn't be totally surprised.

#48 Old 07-02-2012, 01:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post

Well I reported a posting of his maybe 4 or 5 weeks ago. If others reported his posting(s) around that time, I wouldn't be totally surprised.

As no reason for the ban has been provided and if one is to assume it is in connection with the exchange on the 'Father of 30 wants help' topic..

then what totally surprises me is.. that some one whose posts are regularly met with a tirade of personal abuse and whose response to that abuse is good humour and not  retaliation should somehow be seen as a perpetrator as opposed to a victim?  

#49 Old 07-02-2012, 02:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

As no reason for the ban has been provided and if one is to assume it is in connection with the exchange on the 'Father of 30 wants help' topic..

then what totally surprises me is.. that some one whose posts are regularly met with a tirade of personal abuse and whose response to that abuse is good humour and not  retaliation should somehow be seen as a perpetrator as opposed to a victim?  

You obviously see things way different to me but since Clueless appears to be banned and so can't respond to anything I would post, I don't feel able, to be fair to him, to make any further comment.

#50 Old 07-13-2012, 02:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Then we have terrible modding policy here as absolutely no reason has ever been given.

Perhaps there is no reason that actualy can be given?

#51 Old 07-13-2012, 02:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Then we have terrible modding policy here as absolutely no reason has ever been given.

Perhaps there is no reason that actualy can be given?

:shrug:

I thought they were going to utilize my suggestions after Poppy said that my feedback was good.

#52 Old 07-15-2012, 11:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

:shrug:

I thought they were going to utilize my suggestions after Poppy said that my feedback was good.

It does seem strange that with two moderators having read and responded to this topic that still absolutely no reason has been given.

A very polite PM to Michael asking if he knew why has been totally ignored also.

#53 Old 07-16-2012, 03:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It does seem strange that with two moderators having read and responded to this topic that still absolutely no reason has been given.

A very polite PM to Michael asking if he knew why has been totally ignored also.

Well, they can't announce it publicly, nor can they contact CG directly because of the ban (unless they use the email he used to sign up). It is a problem with the software, which does not allow ban reasons to be shown to the member anymore, not with the moderators. And this software issue (as well as many others brought up by the membership) has not been addressed by the new admins. 

Michael has nothing to do with anything anymore, so I don't know why you would ask him. 

#54 Old 07-16-2012, 04:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Well, they can't announce it publicly, nor can they contact CG directly because of the ban (unless they use the email he used to sign up). It is a problem with the software, which does not allow ban reasons to be shown to the member anymore, not with the moderators. And this software issue (as well as many others brought up by the membership) has not been addressed by the new admins.

What about my suggestions in post #44? Poppy's response (post #46) seemed to indicate that they (or at least one of them) would be used.

#55 Old 07-16-2012, 07:09 AM
Veggie Regular

P.S. I have given up my moderator duties, which is why I said "they" and can't really give much more in the way of an answer or a solution. Sorry. 

#56 Old 07-16-2012, 08:28 AM
Ankle Biter

Quote:

We cannot respond to you about an issue with another member. All I can say is that I'm sorry that the new software caught us off-guard, and we have since realized the shortfalls of the new system.

#57 Old 11-01-2012, 09:37 PM

any news about getting this bug sorted out?

I think it casts a smog over the board. Half the posters could be banned, but there is no way to tell.

#58 Old 11-02-2012, 12:45 AM
Zelda Freak

I'm sending a list of to-dos or rather "VB member wants" to Huddler tomorrow, i.e. get the like button working, deal with whatever is going on with tapatalk and so fourth. I will add this issue to the list.

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
#59 Old 11-02-2012, 03:47 AM

thanks thumbsup.gif

#60 Old 11-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Zelda Freak

Hi everyone. 

I know some of you had questions about wanting to know who is banned, who is not, etc. I brought this up with Huddler's tech folks and did get a response. 

They noted that in order to know who is banned, there would need to be some sort of "banned badge made." Implementing it though, across the board would not be a quick change. According to the tech person I chatted with, a banned badge is, "Not something that's going to happen soon."  

Sorry there's not better news for some of you. 

On the plus side, I also have asked tech if we could get the "Like" buttons working and if we can set it up so that members may delete their own posts, among other things. I already heard back about these issues and it seems like Huddler thinks these problems are fixable sooner rather than later. I'm still working on getting all the info, but as soon as I know more about these specific issues (which should be soon) I'll post about each issue in the community assistance area. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page