New Veggieboards... - Page 17 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#481 Old 06-05-2012, 07:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

There is absolutely no reason to think otherwise

Google gave me a few reasons to think otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#482 Old 06-05-2012, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Looks like a few people are unhappy with the conversion. What I have to say is unlikely to change that but oh well.

It's no real secret that I have not had the time or desire to administer this site for years. Most of that burden was unfairly put upon the moderators. I sincerely appreciate all they've done to keep VeggieBoards going when there was little to no support from me. If it weren't for their help there would be no VeggieBoards today.

With me out of the picture and the moderators not able to do much (technically) beyond moderating that left no one to do upgrades, address technical issues, promote the site, develop new features, etc. Not too mention leaving the moderators, the glue, floundering with no real support or direction. Don't get me wrong, I still love VB but I love it as a member, I was growing to despise it as an administrator. That's why I decided to work with Huddler. They handle all of that for me. I want VB to be successful. I want our membership to grow. I want more people to get the support they've always gotten here. I want us to have new features. However, I don't want to be the person who is responsible for making that happen. I don't have the time. I don't have the money. I don't have the knowledge. I don't have the desire.

Someone asked why I didn't just give this site to a current member? This is an expensive site to run. That rules out quite a few people. And it had to be someone I felt had the technical knowledge to keep the site going if there were serious hardware or software issues. I don't know of anyone here that could do that. Again, Huddler takes care of all of that for us.

Will Huddler make money from this site? Absolutely. And they should. They now pay for the server and associated costs (domain names, etc). The software was written in-house and they have a team of developers to support and improve upon it. They have a technical team that can do upgrades and address any technical issues that may arise. They have a team devoted to marketing and search engine optimization. They have graphic designers. So yes, they have a vested interest in helping VB grow and be successful and that's fine with me because that's all I've ever wanted.

Some people have mentioned the inappropriate ads as an issue. Those ads have always been there. Huddler is working harder to remove them removed than I ever did. Besides, IMO it's better those ad dollars be spent on me than on someone who might actually support those industries. Huddler has kindly offered to remove the ads temporarily for those who requested it and in the 16 hours that thread had been up only one person had taken them up on it (last I checked, which was a few hours ago).

Another issue was the TOS. Huddler has stated many times we plan on keeping this a veg*n only forum and that the rules would not change. To clear up any confusion the TOS link at the bottom of the page has now been updated to include those rules.

The ability to delete posts is obviously very important to some of you. This is not something that's written into the software so it's going to take some time (if it can be done at all). It's not something they can do by flipping a switch. None of their forums have ever had that. You still have the option, in most cases, to edit your posts. You can also PM a moderator and ask them to delete individual posts.

Privacy issues... Huddler has been responsive in adjusting settings so things like profiles are more secure. Most of you should know very little of what you post on the internet is truly private. Just use your judgement and don't post anything you wouldn't want getting out. It's common sense.

Long story short, what's done is done. Going forward our intention is to work hard to improve the site for those who want to be here. If that's not acceptable to you we'll have to agree to disagree and part ways.

For the first time in many years I look forward to being active on VeggieBoards and I'm not going to let a handful of people ruin that for me (let alone anyone else). I will not be addressing this any further. If you didn't get the answers you were hoping for I'm sorry. If you do have remaining questions or suggestions - technical issues, feature requests, etc. I encourage you to start a new thread in this forum. I will continue to work with Huddler to do what we can to implement them.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page