New Veggieboards... - Page 14 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#391 Old 06-04-2012, 01:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

His heart clearly has not been in the site for many years. Only now we're left with admin who not only don't care about the site (except for making money) but aren't even vegetarian and by their own rules shouldn't be posting here. And they want to make a vegetarian community!
Yeah I agree... time to move on!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#392 Old 06-04-2012, 01:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

VeggieBoards has had a good run, but it's probably time for it to die.  Too many software changes, too many people fed up with the BS... I've moved on to Indian Summer's forum and it is really very cool.  Come join us!

I clearly live in a cave. IS has a forum? if a PM magically appeared in my inbox showing me the link I'd be greatful for it. edit: got it

Anyway at first my thoughts were "Oh its a software change, this will take some getting used to but I will try to be positive". but now the more i read, the more I get a bad taste in my mouth.

#393 Old 06-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

I'm assuming the answer is going to determine whether you stay or go?

No. I would like Michael and/or "huddler" to be open about what's going on and that is my #1 gripe right now. Was the site sold? Who owns it? Are the posts by "huddler" made by an individual who's personally in charge of administering the site or by a company rep?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#394 Old 06-04-2012, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't care about any changes made to the site itself but I don't feel comfortable with it not even being run by a veg*n. That's a joke quite frankly.

What's the other site that's been mentioned?

Misanthrope seeks misanthrope.
#395 Old 06-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

I clearly live in a cave. IS has a forum? if a PM magically appeared in my inbox showing me the link I'd be greatful for it.

Anyway at first my thoughts were "Oh its a software change, this will take some getting used to but I will try to be positive". but now the more i read, the more I get a bad taste in my mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rags. View Post

I don't care about any changes made to the site itself but I don't feel comfortable with it not even being run by a veg*n. That's a joke quite frankly.
What's the other site that's been mentioned?

http://forum.veggieviews.com

Join us grin.gif
#396 Old 06-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Awesome. smiley.gif will do once on a computer!

Misanthrope seeks misanthrope.
#397 Old 06-04-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by huddler View Post

If we're missing something, definitely let us know.

Can you bring back the privacy settings that we had with vBulletin? Several people have asked for that in this thread, but you have yet to comment or provide that. (The one comment was that we have the same privacy now, which is simply not true.)

Also, people have asked for the ability to delete our posts. Again, you have yet to provide that, or tell us when we will have that ability.

Is the main issue primarily the fact that banned user can still view user profiles?  I think if I understand more what needs to be private we can figure the privacy issues out. We don't have the ability for regular users to delete posts, however could make that a group level permission for some users...open to doing what folks think is best there.

#398 Old 06-04-2012, 02:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rags. View Post

Awesome. smiley.gif will do once on a computer!

It works with Tapatalk, I'm pretty sure IS said. You need to search for VeggieViews or something, I'm not sure how apps work.
#399 Old 06-04-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

I'm assuming the answer is going to determine whether you stay or go?

No. I would like Michael and/or "huddler" to be open about what's going on and that is my #1 gripe right now. Was the site sold? Who owns it? Are the posts by "huddler" made by an individual who's personally in charge of administering the site or by a company rep?

Made by one individual assigned to administer Veggieboards.  I'm really trying to get up to speed on everything and make sure things get organized.  We're contracted to host, handle advertising, and administer the site.

#400 Old 06-04-2012, 02:42 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:

Made by one individual assigned to administer Veggieboards.  I'm really trying to get up to speed on everything and make sure things get organized.  We're contracted to host, handle advertising, and administer the site.

Are you a veg*n or planning to become one?

If not, it's kind of like an Atheist running a board for Catholics, or vice versa.

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

#401 Old 06-04-2012, 02:48 PM

It happens that I've been vegetarian for 2 years, which is why I was assigned to work on VeggieBoards.  The furor has been much greater than I or I think Michael expected.  As it stands, I think everyone has had the best intentions, and I believe that through Huddler VeggieBoards will continue to grow and be a great place to learn about veganism and vegetarianism.  I've been the one updating the home page with conversations and reviews from the community and would be interested in figuring out if there are other folks from the community who would like to help out managing the front page as well!

#402 Old 06-04-2012, 02:53 PM
Banned

Just a warning guys, especially those of you worried about privacy:

Huddler are reading your PMs.
#403 Old 06-04-2012, 02:57 PM

Actually bounced emails go to a Huddler servers...which had a note from you encouraging folks to go to Veggie Views.  We actually don't have any tools to read PMs, but I can't in good faith continue to let Earthling tell mis-truths about Huddler.  I'm happy to continue a dialogue of the things we can do to make sure we improve VeggieBoards, but not if it is to have folks stop posting here when we are working in earnest to try and fix all the issues folks are worried about.

#404 Old 06-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Veggie Regular

This whole huddler mess is pretty f*cking scary. I most likely will no longer post on vb anymore, as it seems to have just become a shill for an omni company. It no longer feels like a community, and Huddler doesn't seem to care to *actually* fix any issues. Hopefully all the longtime community members (those that haven't already) will migrate over to veggie views. Come join us! It's nice and add-free over there! grin.gif

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#405 Old 06-04-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbleforlola View Post

This whole huddler mess is pretty f*cking scary. I most likely will no longer post on vb anymore, as it seems to have just become a shill for an omni company. It no longer feels like a community, and Huddler doesn't seem to care to *actually* fix any issues. Hopefully all the longtime community members (those that haven't already) will migrate over to veggie views. Come join us! It's nice and add-free over their! grin.gif

I'm really sorry folks feel this way.  I'm really trying my best to try and address key issues.  Outside of Huddler running ads (which also ran before Huddler) and privacy issues which we can definitely try and figure out, what are the main concerns people have about Huddler (or myself) administering the site?

#406 Old 06-04-2012, 03:12 PM
Veggie Regular

The fact that it's a corporation that also runs pro-hunting and other boards we as veg*ns have ethical issues with. It's pretty obvious that huddler doesn't care about ethics or the type of message you are promoting, as long as you make money.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#407 Old 06-04-2012, 03:14 PM
Banned

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

Quote:

If we're missing something, definitely let us know.

Can you bring back the privacy settings that we had with vBulletin? Several people have asked for that in this thread, but you have yet to comment or provide that. (The one comment was that we have the same privacy now, which is simply not true.)

Also, people have asked for the ability to delete our posts. Again, you have yet to provide that, or tell us when we will have that ability.

Is the main issue primarily the fact that banned user can still view user profiles?  I think if I understand more what needs to be private we can figure the privacy issues out. We don't have the ability for regular users to delete posts, however could make that a group level permission for some users...open to doing what folks think is best there.

Please see my earlier post in this thread regarding the privacy issue. It was a long one- you can't miss it.

Also please add me to the user group allowed to delete my own posts. As a long-time member here, it's kind of an insult to be told I can't delete my posts.
#408 Old 06-04-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:

Actually bounced emails go to a Huddler servers...which had a note from you encouraging folks to go to Veggie Views.  We actually don't have any tools to read PMs, but I can't in good faith continue to let Earthling tell mis-truths about Huddler.  I'm happy to continue a dialogue of the things we can do to make sure we improve VeggieBoards, but not if it is to have folks stop posting here when we are working in earnest to try and fix all the issues folks are worried about.

A corporation takes over & the censorship begins...hardly surprising. If you can't read PM's how do you know what they contain?!

Please try to fix this issue:

Huddler running sites involved in animal abuse.

#409 Old 06-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

VeggieBoards has had a good run, but it's probably time for it to die. 

Wow. I can understand some of the complaints, but what I am seeing in this forum is just super harsh and vitriolic.
#410 Old 06-04-2012, 03:38 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:

Quote:

This whole huddler mess is pretty f*cking scary. I most likely will no longer post on vb anymore, as it seems to have just become a shill for an omni company. It no longer feels like a community, and Huddler doesn't seem to care to *actually* fix any issues. Hopefully all the longtime community members (those that haven't already) will migrate over to veggie views. Come join us! It's nice and add-free over their! grin.gif
I'm really sorry folks feel this way.  I'm really trying my best to try and address key issues.  Outside of Huddler running ads (which also ran before Huddler) and privacy issues which we can definitely try and figure out, what are the main concerns people have about Huddler (or myself) administering the site?

Quote:

The fact that it's a corporation that also runs pro-hunting and other boards we as veg*ns have ethical issues with. It's pretty obvious that huddler doesn't care about ethics or the type of message you are promoting, as long as you make money.

^ This. This is a main concern. The majority of people here are animal advocates in one way or another. Many have changed their entire lifestyle because of their concern over the treatment of animals. Then to find out that the people taking over the board are also promoting the exact thing they are MORALLY AND ETHICALLY against is like getting kicked in the stomach.

Aside from the privacy issues and offensive ads, which you say you are already working on, I see the ethical issue as a main concern which I don't think you can fix, at least not without losing revenue which I can't imagine you're willing to do. Bottom line (speaking for myself) is you can't run ethically opposed boards. Those of us who have changed our lives to help animals, don't want to be part of the same company that promotes killing for fun. Okay, maybe they aren't killing the chickens for fun (just for selfishness), but I'm sure the people suffocating the fish are doing it for fun.
Running those sites to make money, makes you equally responsible for their abuse. and why would we want to be a part of something treating animals as a commodity to line their pockets?

#411 Old 06-04-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peewit View Post

Quote:

A corporation takes over & the censorship begins...hardly surprising. If you can't read PM's how do you know what they contain?!

Please try to fix this issue:

Huddler running sites involved in animal abuse.

I think this might be the confusion.  Huddler doesn't administer (serve as the primary admin) on any sites in our platform outside of VeggieBoards.  Huddler is for the vast majority a platform for other site owners and admins to use.  In VeggieBoards case, we are both hosting and administering.  At the beginning we spoke with Michael and asked him for a list of people who might make good administrators and he mentioned that few people had interest.  I will work with the moderator team to see what they recommend so that we can ensure that VeggieBoards members feel like they are being supported and control their community.  This has always been the goal.

#412 Old 06-04-2012, 03:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Ah, poor person doing their job. hug.gif

Is this an atypically hostile transition, or is this pretty much the norm?
#413 Old 06-04-2012, 04:04 PM

Much more hostile bigcry.gif

But in earnest, I completely understand that folks are concerned about a large company appearing to take things over.  The the analog really should be, vBulletin comparative to Huddler.  vBulletin hosts 10,000 of sites that range on all sorts of topics.  Huddler is really the same type of company and in this instance thought serving as administrator would really help the community transition over the the software.  I'd really like to make sure people get there concerns addressed, but the negativity and definitely been surprising. 

Right now I am working on getting:

1. Privacy Issues:  Banned users can view profiles once banned

2. Ad Issues:  Some users are seeing ads that are not relevant for Veggie Boards.

As other issues crop up I will do my very best to solve them.  Thank you again all for having some patience, I personally very much appreciate it!

#414 Old 06-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Veggie Regular

So why is VB an exception in that it is the only site administered by Huddler as well as hosted by them? Did I understand that correctly; is that the case? Is it a logical conclusion for the company to admin sites they host? Will Huddler start administering more sites?
#415 Old 06-04-2012, 04:17 PM
Banned

Quote:

2. Ad Issues:  Some users are seeing ads that are not relevant for Veggie Boards.

As other issues crop up I will do my very best to solve them.  Thank you again all for having some patience, I personally very much appreciate it!

Can you also work on giving me permission to delete my own posts? kthx.
#416 Old 06-04-2012, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

I hope this s**t is eventually handled. I won't be posting as much as I used to for now. VB has been my home for over 6 years, I hate to see it go through stuff like this. I feel like a Captain going down with my ship.

#417 Old 06-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:

Much more hostile bigcry.gif

But in earnest, I completely understand that folks are concerned about a large company appearing to take things over.  The the analog really should be, vBulletin comparative to Huddler.  vBulletin hosts 10,000 of sites that range on all sorts of topics.  Huddler is really the same type of company and in this instance thought serving as administrator would really help the community transition over the the software.  I'd really like to make sure people get there concerns addressed, but the negativity and definitely been surprising. 

Glad to hear you're vegetarian. thumbsup.gif

I think this board is different than most, if not all of the others you have worked with in that it isn't just a hobby site, where people are looking for the best skis or runs. It deals with their ethics, beliefs and often serious issues and choices they are making in their lives. For a lot of people this is the only safe place they can come to talk and ask questions about veg*n issues without being verbally abused or laughed at, especially the younger and newer people.

As Danaksculy64 said above, it's been her home for 6 years and many others as well. We were pretty much told that the site was getting a face-lift with a few added features, but come to find out someone else has taken over running the board. So yeah, there is going to be a lot of hostility when you feel you've been misled.

#418 Old 06-04-2012, 05:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
We don't have the ability for regular users to delete posts, however could make that a group level permission for some users...open to doing what folks think is best there.

Being able to delete one's own posts is very important!

Also, I find this new board very slow - there's a lot of extra junk on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

For the record, Huddler is administering the site now. I'm not much more than a member. I just haven't had the time to do much with the site over the last few years. Huddler is still working on implementing your suggestions and new features so please be patient.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael, since I thought the intention of this site was building a veg "community," I think it would have been better to have said that you were selling it prior to this.  It's kind of like dad selling the house with all the kids still in it and saying, "I'm sure your new parents will take good care of you!"  Don't mean to use such a childish analogy, but this kind of a change at the top without preparation isn't community-building!  It doesn't seem like a very nice thing to do really.  You moved on, so maybe it didn't mean that much to you anymore, but the community you built was still running and it meant something to us.

I know that you put a lot into this site and deserve to make something from it, but no one likes to be viewed as just a money-making source.  If that has been the case recently, it's better to be up-front about it rather than making it seem as though we're building a community but behind the scenes we're just a revenue source.  It's kind of a betrayal.  It makes me think that the recent pushes for building the site were about making it look good for a sale rather than building a veg community or trying to inform people about veg issues.

I don't really understand the changes or what it means or exactly what was behind it.

I won't necessarily leave, because I want to spread the reality of what happens to animals to as wide an audience as possible, but I like to have truth about my activities.  The longer-term members give a site credibility - we add value to the site - so I think in fairness we ought to be told what's going on.

Huddler "team" or person (who knows?) - if this is indeed still meant to be community rather than just a money making source, maybe you should introduce yourself and talk about why you want to administer it?  If you do have some passion for this board other than just making money, then since it's a corporation administering it, if "you" stop doing it at some point, then might it be administered by an individual/s who is against our concerns?  Or even be sold to an animal industry that wants to subtly or blatantly degrade this veg "community?" 

Michael - since you built this, do you have any concern that it will be subverted or wrecked?  None of this would be an issue if there wasn't so much push about "community" and such for these years, but there was an expectation set up that is now confusing.

If I were Hormel or Smithfield I might be trying to buy it right now.  If you do searches about veg*n issues a lot of VeggieBoards links come up.  I'd be deleting all that if I were an animal abusing industry that purchased the site.  I'd erase years of educating that veg*ns tried to do.  I'd be making people scramble to find veg forums - that aren't very active because this has been the most active site on the web. 

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#419 Old 06-04-2012, 07:00 PM

Well Michael is the turtle..smiley.gif...with his head firmly in his shell right now......or is it just tortoises that do that?thinking.gif

With the deleting issue: I don't think posts are actually deleted on most boards, I think they are just hidden, and mods can still read them. I suppose that it might be complicated to modify the software to do that.

Also, if someone is banned, does it say so on their posts, or in their profile? I haven't seen the word 'banned' on anyone's posts.

#420 Old 06-04-2012, 08:21 PM
Contributing Member

When writing reviews, if you want to add the item to a list you only have the option of have it, had it or want it. Some products, especially those dealing with meat, do not fit any of those options. Could you add a 'do not want' option to the list. I know negative choices aren't exactly marketable, but that choice would be nice since meat based items have been added to the reviews section.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page