Privacy re PM's?? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-17-2004, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

On some message boards I've been on, it's been my understanding that private messages are not actually private and can be read by Supermoderators. Is that the case with this board?

m8itcanw8.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-17-2004, 10:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Nope.
#3 Old 02-17-2004, 10:33 AM
Veggie Regular

yes.

There is a privacy statement some where.

In general, vb-moderators (or Michael) do NOT read Pm's.

However, If some one complains that he or she has had a very inappropriate pm, Michael is able to check things out.

In normal situations, you PM will be private.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-17-2004, 10:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Vb privacy statement :

https://veggieboards.com/boards/showt...hlight=privacy

It's still a draft though.
#5 Old 02-17-2004, 10:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Mods or Supermods can not read PM's.
#6 Old 02-17-2004, 10:39 AM
Banned

k-dawg is correct.

There may be a way for an administrator to do so, but mods do not have that ability.
#7 Old 02-17-2004, 10:50 AM
Veggie Regular

from the privacy thing:

Quote:
Private Messaging System

The Private Messaging system is a facility only available to registered members of VeggieBoards. Private messages are stored on our server. We will not open your private messaging folders except to investigate a report of abuse, to protect our servers, or if required to do so by law.

#8 Old 02-17-2004, 10:55 AM
Veggie Regular

"we" meaning administrators.

And come on, if two mods are telling you that we can't look at PM's...chances are, we can't look at PM's.
#9 Old 02-17-2004, 10:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Michael could, if it's built into vBulletin or he spent 10 minutes learning SQL on the internet.
#10 Old 02-17-2004, 11:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1vegan View Post

from the privacy thing:

Mods don't have access to everything an administrator does. Can you understand that, or does someone need to break down the big words for you?
#11 Old 02-17-2004, 11:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame View Post

Mods don't have access to everything an administrator does. Can you understand that, or does someone need to break down the big words for you?

Didn't you just tell me that I was immature?
#12 Old 02-17-2004, 11:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adams View Post

Didn't you just tell me that I was immature?

No, I specifically said I wasn't naming names. Now, if you want to discuss that statement further, do so in the appropriate thread.

As far as my statement to 1vegan - two mods have given the answer, and he wants to disagree. He obviously is struggling comprehending our answers, so I offered to help him out.
#13 Old 02-17-2004, 11:11 AM
Veggie Regular

That was a rhetorical question Tame.
#14 Old 02-17-2004, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
or he spent 10 minutes learning SQL on the internet.

True. Not going to happen though. I won't even learn CSS, killed too many brain cells just learning what little HTML I know.

If anyone is really paranoid about it they can always use e-mail. Unless you're super-paranoid and think I can read your e-mail too.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#15 Old 02-17-2004, 12:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I know SQL...

but I won't use if for evil.
#16 Old 02-17-2004, 12:12 PM
Administrator

You don't have enough access to use it for evil.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#17 Old 02-17-2004, 12:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Damn. I mean, I knew that!
#18 Old 02-17-2004, 12:21 PM
Administrator

By the way, just so you guys know... I'm not sure about other software but there is a hack for vBulletin that allows administrators to easily view your pm's. Most boards probably don't even know about it and even fewer probably use it but it's out there.

If you're interested in reading some "behind the scenes" discussion on it...

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...rivate+message

Most reputable administrators agree that if you are going to do it then you should refer to them as "personal" messages, as opposed to "private" messages, and that the conditions under which you would access someone's pm's be stated in your TOS or privacy statement.

#19 Old 02-17-2004, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1vegan View Post

Vb privacy statement :

https://veggieboards.com/boards/showt...hlight=privacy

It's still a draft though.

There's actually one at the bottom of the page now. This is what it says...

Quote:
Personal Messaging System

The Personal Messaging system is a facility only available to registered members of VeggieBoards. Personal messages are stored on our server. We will not open your personal messaging folders except to investigate a report of abuse, to protect our servers, or if required to do so by law.

Since reading the thread I've linked to above I've started calling it personal messaging, or at least I try to. Though your messages here are relatively private, they may not be on other boards running the same software.

#20 Old 02-17-2004, 12:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelle View Post

On some message boards I've been on, it's been my understanding that private messages are not actually private and can be read by Supermoderators. Is that the case with this board?

No.

And for the record, even administrators cannot access the private messages of others on this software, via any control panel. It may only be accessed via secure access SSH, and will never be accessed by anyone unless required to do so by court order.

And also for the record, this is the same for ALL SQL-based message boards with private messaging abilities. The message is stored in a SQL database until deleted.

And also also for the record: that hack Michael describes which allows for easy reading of people's private messages is NOT installed on this board, nor will it ever be installed on this board. Privacy is a major issue and is something I hold quite strongly.
#21 Old 02-17-2004, 12:33 PM

I'm an Administrator on another Vbulletin board and I don't have access to the PMs there. I suppose anyone smart enough could figure out how to hack the system and get to them, but I don't have that sort of ambition, let alone desire.
#22 Old 02-17-2004, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I should add, for those that do know... even your everday email is not private. When you send an email, it has to travel through servers to reach its destination. ISP's CAN read every email any of it's users send or receive very easily.

That's just how things work... to send or receive something, there must be a copy of the data/information stored.

Despite the claims that some might have you believe... nothing is 100% secure or private online.
#23 Old 02-17-2004, 12:36 PM
Veggie Regular

what i want to know is, what is being said in private messages that people are worried about admins and mods reading?
#24 Old 02-17-2004, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Ask anyone who sends me a pm, they'll tell you I don't even read my own half the time.

#25 Old 02-17-2004, 12:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post

And also also for the record: that hack Michael describes which allows for easy reading of people's private messages is NOT installed on this board, nor will it ever be installed on this board. Privacy is a major issue and is something I hold quite strongly.

Are you an admin too Robert? Who else is there? I'm just curious.
#26 Old 02-17-2004, 12:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Adams, I am and I am not. I work on the server side of things and don't do anything in an admin or mod capacity on the board itself. On the board... I'm a regular member.

But if something goes wrong on the server or something needs fixing with the files/database structure... then I'll look after it. Michael is the only board admin. I want nothing to do with the moding or board admin'ing. Too much like work
#27 Old 02-17-2004, 01:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Ask anyone who sends me a pm, they'll tell you I don't even read my own half the time.

Tell me about it.

I'm never sure when Michael is not reading his PMs, or he is mad at me. My default is that he is mad at me. Covers 99% of the time.

Kreeli - I think Pixelle was afraid that I could check up on what she is saying 'bout me.
#28 Old 02-17-2004, 01:14 PM
Administrator

It's a catch-22 with you Tame. If I'm not already mad at you then I probably will be after I read whatever it is you wrote. I still have your pm's, I just take a while to reply sometimes.

#29 Old 02-17-2004, 01:24 PM
Banned

You mean you haven't looked at the smurf video I sent you? Classic!
#30 Old 02-17-2004, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreeli View Post

what i want to know is, what is being said in private messages that people are worried about admins and mods reading?

I agree...my interest has been perked

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page