Old content disappearing (photos, posts, & private messages) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-21-2010, 11:37 AM
Beginner

First off, I apologize if this has already been addressed. I did a search and read through the Community assistance board back through the period when the forum was upgraded, and couldn't find anything.

I know I posted a photo in the photo album way back in the day. I was trying to find it there and realized no photos from pre-2008 are listed. Also (and I'm not sure of this) but I feel like a bunch of posts from that period are also gone. I know if you go to the last page on some forums, a lot of the posts are blank. Maybe they just got moderated out of existence?

Additionally, I am pretty sure messages in my inbox are missing. Or maybe I don't know how to navigate to them. I can see some of the posts relevant to conversations those messages were part of but others do not seem to be there.

I ask because I was just looking for that picture. I realize I haven't exactly been an active community member, but I would appreciate an answer, and this may satisfy questions some other members may have had (or may have in the future as well)

I know when I post on message boards I like to be assured that the content I introduce will be persistent. This may not be a possibility, but if that is the case, can someone tell me how long I can be assured my posts will remain for so I can back them up if I need to (in case I ever want to go over things I wrote in the past or whatnot)

I'm not trying to be overly critical either. This is a great community and I appreciate everything Michael and the Mods do for us
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-21-2010, 01:59 PM
Ex-*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAteMyVeggies' date='21 July 2010 - 07:37 PM' timestamp='1279737444' post='2676837 View Post

First off, I apologize if this has already been addressed. I did a search and read through the Community assistance board back through the period when the forum was upgraded, and couldn't find anything.

No worries, I don't think we've had a heap of questions like these yet.

Quote:
I know I posted a photo in the photo album way back in the day. I was trying to find it there and realized no photos from pre-2008 are listed.

We used to have a different photo album software which was developed by another company than the one that did the forum software at the time, vBulletin. Then we upgraded to a new version of vBulletin and the photo album no longer worked with vBulletin, but vBulletin developed a photo album software of their own, so we started to use that instead. Recently we have switched the software from vBulletin to Invision and migrated all the data from vBulletin.

So this means the old album is no longer available. However, if there are any particular pictures you would like to see from the old album, please let me know and I will try to dig them up for you.

Quote:
Also (and I'm not sure of this) but I feel like a bunch of posts from that period are also gone. I know if you go to the last page on some forums, a lot of the posts are blank. Maybe they just got moderated out of existence?

I see what you mean. This is something we have to investigate closer.

Quote:
Additionally, I am pretty sure messages in my inbox are missing. Or maybe I don't know how to navigate to them. I can see some of the posts relevant to conversations those messages were part of but others do not seem to be there.

Hm, not sure about this.

Quote:
I know when I post on message boards I like to be assured that the content I introduce will be persistent. This may not be a possibility, but if that is the case, can someone tell me how long I can be assured my posts will remain for so I can back them up if I need to (in case I ever want to go over things I wrote in the past or whatnot)

There is no limit like that. Our goal is to keep everything forever and ever, and whenever we move to new software we try to make sure all the data gets migrated as well, but sometimes that doesn't happen unfortunately.

Quote:
I'm not trying to be overly critical either. This is a great community and I appreciate everything Michael and the Mods do for us

No worries, and thanks for bringing this to our attention.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#3 Old 07-21-2010, 02:29 PM
Ex-*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAteMyVeggies' date='21 July 2010 - 07:37 PM' timestamp='1279737444' post='2676837 View Post

Also (and I'm not sure of this) but I feel like a bunch of posts from that period are also gone. I know if you go to the last page on some forums, a lot of the posts are blank. Maybe they just got moderated out of existence?

I had a look at one of those, and it turned out the thread had been moved from Community Assistance to another subforum. So my guess is that all those closed & empty threads at the last pages are all thread redirects that no longer work because we switched forum software. (But the threads should still exist in the forums to which they were moved.)

Quote:

If you can provide some more details on this, then I can try to look into it. (Feel free to send it in a PM if need be.)

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-24-2010, 10:45 AM
Beginner

I checked the inbox and then searched for my messages around that period and found that the private messages were responses to things posted on the board.. so I stand corrected about that.

The photo is not a big deal because I found another copy of it I had.

I was also worried about things I have posted in the past disappearing, but glad to hear that they don't expire at any point

Thanks for taking the time to respond and look into it
#5 Old 07-24-2010, 10:52 AM
Veggie Regular

I was saving a private message from a member who had since left and had their account closed. Unfortunately this seems to have resulted in the loss of the message. All my sent messages were lost too.

www.thesaucyvegan.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page