VB 'friends" - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-18-2010, 12:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Can someone tell me how this works?

Is it as simple as asking someone to be a friend or is there more to it?

If the above is correct what is the etiquette?

Will being the only person, as far as I am aware, from the country I reside in on VB exclude me from having friends.

Also once you have become friends with someone is anything different?

Thanks in Advance

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-18-2010, 01:10 PM
Banned

The only thing that's different is they appear on your contacts list in your profile, and you'll see them first in the list of who's online at the bottom of the home page.

People generally ask to be friends if you've interacted on the board in some way, like you replied to each other's posts and agreed or had a laugh together, or if you've exchanged visitor messages on your profile. But the worst that can happen with a random request is that they don't accept, which is hardly the end of the world. Hardly any of my VB friends live in my country, so it definitely doesn't stop you being friends.

If you want to add someone, maybe just send them a PM or visitor message saying you like their posts and want to add them. 99% of people will be happy to add you, I bet.
#3 Old 04-18-2010, 03:49 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Also, once you become friends with someone, you'll see a "+" next to their name in the Online User's list, as well as the the Recent Visitors list on your profile.

And I know I'm not the only person on here that feels special when someone adds them, so if you want to add anyone, I'm pretty sure they'd accept! Everyone here is pretty cool and friendly. And, agreed, the worst thing that could happen is them not accepting, so it's not that bad.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-18-2010, 04:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Things will definitely be different, and whether you're ready for it depends on whether you're ready to commit your whole being to that kind of process. Becoming a parent is a big step, and even if you like another VB member's posts, that doesn't mean you will necessarily be able to have the mental resources to raise kids with that person. When you think about a friend request, don't just think about your avatar showing on that person's user profile. You need to be a responsible adult and also think about changing diapers, helping the offspring through puberty, and the very real possibility of divorce.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#5 Old 04-18-2010, 04:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Well... Stuff CAN change... For instance, if someone has set parts of his or her profile and/or visitor messages to be seen by friends only, then you can't see 'em until that person adds you as a friend.
#6 Old 04-18-2010, 05:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Friends' doesn't mean all that much to me, I'll friend anyone who asks lol
#7 Old 04-19-2010, 04:22 AM
Ex-*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

Well... Stuff CAN change... For instance, if someone has set parts of his or her profile and/or visitor messages to be seen by friends only, then you can't see 'em until that person adds you as a friend.

Yes, and I believe this includes pictures / albums you upload. Not sure if many people are aware of this.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#8 Old 04-20-2010, 05:24 PM
Banned

The "Friends" function is actually a massive database being compiled by a third party resource. When you request or accept someone as a friend, you inadvertently agree to a digital contract to become that person's godparent and they become yours. If requested, you also are indebted to them for at least one "big favor". In all fairness, if nothing has been requested from you (or by you) before severing the friendship, no penalties are applied and no further communication between yourself and and the former friend is required. The third party database is purged after 12 year from inception. However, backups of that database may linger for up to 25 years.

I think it gets a little more technical, but I'm not sure.
#9 Old 04-20-2010, 09:46 PM
Veggie Regular

It was a massive step and very mentally taxing when I decided to ask SS to be my VB friend.

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#10 Old 04-20-2010, 10:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeria View Post

It was a massive step and very mentally taxing when I decided to ask SS to be my VB friend.

Yanno, I didn't want to say anything, but that now explains that twitch and intermittent bugging of the eyes thing you have going on. *runs and hides*

My Vegan Food Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#11 Old 04-21-2010, 02:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Damn. I was hoping you wouldn't notice!

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog -
#12 Old 04-22-2010, 11:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

Yes, and I believe this includes pictures / albums you upload. Not sure if many people are aware of this.

For some people, that's the specific reason why they set it to be seen by their friends only.

m8itcanw8.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page