When temperatures soar, one of the best ways to cool down is with a yummy serving of ice cream – unless you’re vegan. That cool desert is full of dairy products that aren’t allowed on vegan diets. Followers aren’t limited to frozen juice, however, because companies are lining up to offer dairy-free products that everyone can enjoy. Urban Taste Bud has a list of vegan choices by brand name to make digging through the freezer section of the grocery store easier. If you’re counting calories too, Enlightened has a line of vegan ice cream bars that clock in at under 100 calories each.
Here are 10 great tasting vegan bars that will make even the most dedicated ice cream lover ask, “this is vegan?”
- Ruby Rockets Better Bars. These are made with fruit and vegetable purees and no extra sugar, so they won’t be as sweet as other bars. Their mellow taste may be suitable for those who don’t like overly sweetened snacks. Flavors include Fudge, Tropical, Mixed Berry and Strawberry.
- So Delicious Dipped Almondmilk Ice Cream Bars. There’s only one flavor, Mocha Almond Fudge, but it has no dairy, eggs, gluten, soy or peanuts. It’s also organic, vegan and Kosher Pareve.
- So Delicious Fudge Bars. It’s a vegan Fudgesicle, what more needs to be said? It comes in original and sugar-free and is organic, vegan, gluten-free and Kosher Pareve.
- Coconut Bliss Frozen Dessert Bars. A dessert that’s wrapped in chocolate is only an improvement and these delights are sweetened only with organic agave syrup. With names like Strawberry Love and Naked Coconut, these are meant to be savored with a good book, not handed out to the kids.
- Jolly Llama Coconut Cream Pops. With a coconut cream base, these creamy treats avoid most top allergens, although the Chocolate Chip variety had a “may contain” labeling for soy cross-contamination. They don’t have a heavy coconut taste to them, allowing flavors like Sea Salt Caramel, Mint Chocolate Chip, and Dark Chocolate flavors to shine.
- So Delicious Dipped Coconut Ice Cream Bars. Coconut fans will line up for these! Made without dairy, eggs, gluten, peanuts or soy, these are safe for vegans and those with allergies. Even the chocolate contains no soy lecithin! They’re also Kosher Pareve.
- Coconut Bliss “in Chocolate” Bars. The chocolate coating is soy free and most flavors are free of top allergens, except the Coconut Almond, which is full of almond bits. Top flavors include Raspberry Acai, Salted Caramel and Vanilla Island. These bars are also Kosher Pareve and gluten-free.
- Daiya Ice Cream Bars. All of the company’s products are free from top allergens, including dairy, eggs, tree nuts and soy, plus they’re vegan. Flavor offerings include Classic Vanilla Bean, Chocolate Fudge Crunch, Espresso Coffee, and Salted Caramel Swirl.
- Haagen Daz Non-Dairy Bars. Two of their favorites, Coconut Caramel Dark Chocolate, and Peanut Butter Chocolate Fudge, get the vegan treatment and turn into ice cream bars. The filling is free from dairy, eggs, gluten, and soy, but the chocolate still contains soy lecithin.
- So Delicious Dipped Cashewmilk Ice Cream Bars. The “cream” is made from nut milk, in this case, cashews, so anyone with a tree nut allergy should avoid them. They’re made without dairy, eggs, gluten, peanuts, and soy and are vegan and Kosher Pareve.
These are only a few of the brands on the market; if you’re feeling adventurous you can try making your own vegan ice cream bars at home. Finding the best tasting vegan ice cream bar by the end of summer may be a daunting task, but it’s a bold challenge worth taking.
What’s your favorite vegan ice cream bar? Share your faves in our comment section! You may find a new favorite there!