While many people switch to the vegetarian diet due to animal rights issues, others do so simply because it is a healthier choice. There is a great deal of scientific evidence in support of the health benefits linked to plant-based diets. Not only does it help with weight loss or healthy weight maintenance, but it may also reduce your risk for chronic disease.
For many people, the problem with a vegetarian diet is boredom. If you’re looking for some simple ways to stave off boredom on the vegetarian diet, you’ve come to the right place. Try the healthy eating tips below!
- Don’t be afraid to add some healthy fats. Many plant-based foods are naturally low in calories so, when making the switch to a vegetarian diet, you could end up slashing your daily calorie intake too severely. To keep your energy up, include healthy fats like avocado, nuts, and seeds in your diet.
- Make sure you get plenty of protein. Protein is an essential nutrient no matter what diet you follow. While many plant foods have protein, things like beans, nuts, and seeds have the highest concentration so try to include a variety of these foods in your diet.
- Get creative with your substitutions. If you’re having trouble figuring out what to make for dinner, don’t limit yourself to vegetarian recipes. Get creative by choosing a traditional recipe and swap out the meat ingredient for your favorite meat-substitute like tofu, tempeh, mushrooms, or eggplant.
- Try planning your meals. When you come home from a long day at work, the last thing you want to do is plan and prepare an extravagant meal. As a result, you probably end up eating the same couple of things week after week. If you want to switch things up without going off your diet, try planning your meals in advance so you have a menu ready for the entire week.
- Get ideas from vegetarian restaurants. If you’re craving a little indulgence (or you’re simply tired of cooking), find a local vegetarian restaurant to try. At the very least you’ll get a delicious meal, but you may also get ideas for some new recipes to try at home.
- Change your mindset about food. One of the top reasons people fail on diets is boredom – if you feel like you are depriving yourself, you won’t be motivated to continue the diet. So, instead of thinking about all of the foods you CAN’T eat on a vegetarian diet, think about the delicious food options you CAN eat instead.
- Experiment with new flavors. There are only so many ways you can dress up a salad but even the blandest of meals can be made exciting with the right combination of herbs and spices. Try turning up the heat with cayenne or red pepper flakes. You could also head to a local spice shop and ask for suggestions.
A vegetarian diet is full of possibilities if you know where to look for them. Rather than sticking to the same simple meal plan of salads and soups, switch things up once in a while by incorporating some of the healthy eating tips above. Enjoy!