or Connect
VeggieBoards › Forums › Recipes › General Food Discussions › Vanilla vodka
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Vanilla vodka

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
Has anybody ever made vanilla vodka? I have a pod in a bottle of vodka but I'm not sure how long to leave it in there.



Also, anybody made chilli vodka? Do you just chuck chillies in a bottle of vodka and leave it a while? How long?
post #2 of 27
Hmm, my research online indicated to take 5 pods and leave it in the bottle for about 15 days. I would say to wait until the vodka is an amber color, if only using one pod.
post #3 of 27
I tried cannabis vodka last night. it was really nice! It tasted like hemp not weed and er, just had hemp seeds in the bottom. everyone except me seemed to think itd get them high or something O_o



id lovee to make chilli vodka! dont tempt me!
post #4 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post




id lovee to make chilli vodka! dont tempt me!



I double dare you!
http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
Reply
http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
Reply
post #5 of 27
I've never tried vanilla vodka.....but I have soaked a banana in vodka with a cup of sugar and covered it with plastic in the fridge for 6-10 hours. Open the banana and you have a jello shot.
post #6 of 27
One of the folks we camp with at Burning Man is a huge infused vodka proponent. We had an infused liquor party this year where there were at least a dozen different infused vodkas. My favorites were the vanilla, the cherry orange and the orange tangarine. Other honorable mentions were jalapeno and chocolate.



I found the following webpage about infusing vodka using Google:



http://www.infused-vodka.com/index.a...TS&Category=17
post #7 of 27
Right next time I go to tescos or the offie im getting me some vodka!

hopefully the birdseye chillis in my fridge will be ok still by then!

ooooh thisll be a mighty vodka

i think chilli pineapple might work well for my next batch =D



Is smirnoff/absolut a good enough quality vodka? Its double the price of the crap i usually buy haha. anything cheaper is generally a drink-wrecker (never make cocktails with glens - ugh) I might get absolut cause i like the shape of the bottle.



do i literally just wash chillis, shove chillis in vodka... wait about 10 days?

this seems too easy

WAY too easy



im getting all excited now =(

this can be my new hobby

i can like

clear a shelf and put a whole collection of different flavoured vodkas on it



oi randomly

what happens if you take ages to drink it?

would the fruit/chilli/whatever go mouldy? should i fish it out after a while?
post #8 of 27
Thread Starter 
[QUOTE=Pirate Ferret]



Is smirnoff/absolut a good enough quality vodka? Its double the price of the crap i usually buy haha. anything cheaper is generally a drink-wrecker (never make cocktails with glens - ugh) I might get absolut cause i like the shape of the bottle.





QUOTE]





Get the cheap stuff, then put it through a drip drip water filter three times and it will taste great.





Try black berry vodka ... put 400g blackberries in a 2 litre bottle with 1 litre of vodka, 6 cloves, 3 tablespoons demerara sugar and a broken up cinnamon stick. Invert it everyday to shake things up then in about 4-6 weeks you will have a delicious drink
post #9 of 27
no, it would not go moldy, as the alcohol basically pickles/preserves whatever you put in it.
post #10 of 27
Kreeli!
http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
Reply
http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
Reply
post #11 of 27
If you're going to buy absolut or smirnoff then why not just buy the already flavoured stuff??



I dont like vanilla much.. but it is kinda nice with coke!
post #12 of 27
i take it by your name you are an Absolut fan?
post #13 of 27
[QUOTE=Absolut]If you're going to buy absolut or smirnoff then why not just buy the already flavoured stuff??/QUOTE]



thats BORING! and ive never seen chilli or anything interesting. smirnoff just does that berry one ive never bothered trying, absolut does what - lemon, vanilla, raspberry. naaaahhhh!



I have no access to a water filter, no desire to buy one (they cost loads)!

I dont really want my fabulous vodka to have an aftertaste of antifreeze, haha. (not that ive ever drank antifreeze)



i dont mind paying a bit extra this once, cause then if it tastes like crap then i know its my fault not the cheap vodkas haha.
post #14 of 27
I am very much a lurker, but I'm making infused liqueurs for my and my husband's families and our friends this year for Christmas.



I did use Smirnoff vodka, at our local Total Wines it's the same price as the rot-gut vodka.



The flavors I have infusing right now:



limoncello

cranberry orange

vanilla pear

peach habanero

mint raspberry



And yesterday I just strained and bottled a lemon ginger.



Very easy and the lemon ginger is gorgeous and tasty!
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever42 View Post

I am very much a lurker, but I'm making infused liqueurs for my and my husband's families and our friends this year for Christmas.



I did use Smirnoff vodka, at our local Total Wines it's the same price as the rot-gut vodka.



The flavors I have infusing right now:



limoncello

cranberry orange

vanilla pear

peach habanero

mint raspberry



And yesterday I just strained and bottled a lemon ginger.



Very easy and the lemon ginger is gorgeous and tasty!



I... I have to do this now. Vanilla pear and lemon ginger both sound amazing. How much of each did you put in? Are you storing it in the original bottle, or buying new ones somewhere?
post #16 of 27
i made a homemade chili vodka once, it burned to no end and honestly was so revolting it found a home in my toilet
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyla View Post

I... I have to do this now. Vanilla pear and lemon ginger both sound amazing. How much of each did you put in? Are you storing it in the original bottle, or buying new ones somewhere?



Let's see. The vanilla pear, I used 1.5 chopped pears (I made two jars, 3 pears total) and one vanilla bean, split down the middle. I bought large liter-sized Ball canning jars and filled with vodka approximately 5/6 of the way up, but you can fill it the whole way if you're not making a liqueur.



With the lemon ginger, I used the entire zest of 3 lemons and two big peeled knobs of ginger - but that wasn't enough ginger, next time I would use four or five, or chop them up finely. And the same amount of vodka as the other.



I let them steep in those Bell jars for a month or more, and as the time comes I've filtered with a coffee filter into a glass measuring cup, added simple syrup (1 cup of water to 2 cups of sugar, boiled and cooled), and poured into a clean one liter glass bottle with a swingtop lid.



Does that make any sense? I feel like I babbled. Please ask if you have any more questions!
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever42 View Post

Let's see. The vanilla pear, I used 1.5 chopped pears (I made two jars, 3 pears total) and one vanilla bean, split down the middle. I bought large liter-sized Ball canning jars and filled with vodka approximately 5/6 of the way up, but you can fill it the whole way if you're not making a liqueur.



With the lemon ginger, I used the entire zest of 3 lemons and two big peeled knobs of ginger - but that wasn't enough ginger, next time I would use four or five, or chop them up finely. And the same amount of vodka as the other.



I let them steep in those Bell jars for a month or more, and as the time comes I've filtered with a coffee filter into a glass measuring cup, added simple syrup (1 cup of water to 2 cups of sugar, boiled and cooled), and poured into a clean one liter glass bottle with a swingtop lid.



Does that make any sense? I feel like I babbled. Please ask if you have any more questions!





Sounds awesome. I'm so getting the stuff to do this when next I go shopping. Thanks so much!
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeysuckle View Post


Get the cheap stuff, then put it through a drip drip water filter three times and it will taste great.





I've sometimes wondered if doing this with 5 o clock would get it to the level of Grey Goose.
post #20 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

I've sometimes wondered if doing this with 5 o clock would get it to the level of Grey Goose.



Never heard of either of 'em so don't know! (I'm guessing if one is paint-stripper type stuff and one is gourmet stuff ...no!, but give it a go!)
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyla View Post

Sounds awesome. I'm so getting the stuff to do this when next I go shopping. Thanks so much!



Great, good luck! I can't wait to bottle the rest of them to see how they taste



Edit: oh, make sure you shake/swirl the jars around every week or so, as well.
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

I've sometimes wondered if doing this with 5 o clock would get it to the level of Grey Goose.



Nope. They did this on Mythbusters, and while it made the rotgut more palatable, it did not make it truly good.
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

I tried cannabis vodka last night. it was really nice! It tasted like hemp not weed and er, just had hemp seeds in the bottom. everyone except me seemed to think itd get them high or something O_o



id lovee to make chilli vodka! dont tempt me!



Is this different to the vodka you make with smoking weed because apparantly that makes you high?
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fona View Post

Is this different to the vodka you make with smoking weed because apparantly that makes you high?



It was literally just hemp seeds dumped in the bottom of a bottle of vodka!

http://www.absinth.com/links/vodka.html that shiz (the smaller bottle is the exact one)



haha i just found a weedy site saying how awful the "marketing ploy" vodka tasted. irony!
post #25 of 27
We used to make flavored vodkas; our favorite bar used Burnett's so we used it as well. It was $11 for 750ml and tasted just fine. We left a couple of habaneros in a bottle for a while and THAT was a mistake. It was so hot, we couldn't drink it (and we looooooooooove spicy). oops.



Anyway, regarding vodka - this is a great article:

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Story?id=3201973
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Martini View Post




Anyway, regarding vodka - this is a great article:

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Story?id=3201973



That's a really cool article! I've always hated grey goose and that explains it



This is such a great idea.... infused vodka. Forever42, I hope you post more because you just gave me some wonderful ideas
post #27 of 27
Thanks for the article Amy.



That's why I drink whisky
http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
Reply
http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Food Discussions
VeggieBoards › Forums › Recipes › General Food Discussions › Vanilla vodka