or Connect
VeggieBoards › Forums › Family & Lifestyle › Companion Animals › Why do people steal other peoples cats???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why do people steal other peoples cats???

Poll Results: Would you continue to feed someones cat if you wanted the cat?

 
  • 40% (4)
    Yes
  • 30% (3)
    Maybe
  • 30% (3)
    No
10 Total Votes  
post #1 of 80
Thread Starter 
My question is why?? Why do they do this? My neighbors have been feeding my cat and letting him in to their home.And of course that cat takes his oppertunity. I have asked them to discontinue, but they keep on going at it! It hurts me to know that my cat is being taken over by other people. He has always been a great indoor/ outdoor cat. Slept in the house all day caught mice at night, but ever since these neighbors have been doing this I rarely see him... I love him soooooooo much and I miss him. He still comes home to me, because he does love me. I know many people disagree with letting cats outdoors, but i feel it is not my place to play god and keep a cat indoors. but if anyone has any suggestions, comments, thoughts, or have been through anything similar, please respond!...I just dont get it...
post #2 of 80
That's one of the many risks you take when you allow your cat to go outside a lot unsupervised. Maybe get a cat fence to keep him in your yard?



If the neighbors don't think you're taking good care of your cat, then they're going to step up and start feeding it.



PS: I didn't really understand the poll question, so I didn't vote.
post #3 of 80
Thread Starter 
Yeah, this was my first thread, I did not quite understand the poll thing, so I just kind of did it. But if I could change it I would have defintly kept him indoors but he has been out for a kitten till now ( a year later). Well the issue really is that they just want my cat. Its not a issue of me not taking care of my baby. Hes a handsome boy and they want him, and I cant quite communicate it to them that they cant have him! Thanks 4 the post
post #4 of 80
If they want him and he likes them better, why not let them have that cat just get another cat?.
post #5 of 80
If a cat is outdoors, I consider it to be a cat in need of help. Is it "playing god" to keep a fish inside its bowl? Maybe you should tip it over slighly in case it wants out. I'm kidding!



The way I see it, if the cat is not in your home/wacky outdoor enclosure, its not your property/pet. It's a loose cat in the neighborhood that is in danger and needs to be feed. You gave it the "freedom" to roam as it pleases, so let it be free to choose where it wants to get out of the rain and eat. It's not your decision.
post #6 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post

If they want him and he likes them better, why not let them have that cat just get another cat?.

You seem to be big on this whole "trading pets around" idea.
post #7 of 80
Perhaps the cat is not owned by any human, therefore cannot be stolen?

Just a thought.
post #8 of 80
Yeah I guess you could say that. Sometimes I wonder about choosing animals ( especially cats and dogs). I'm sure a dog or cat can and does have preferences over which people they like to live with.



Maybe they will show that preference towards another person in the household or another available person.

I've often thought that if I were ever to get a cat or dog again, I'd want them to choose to be with me, rather then just being choosen by me.
post #9 of 80
Thread Starter 
Well the way I see it is a fish should not be in a bowl, it should be in a lake or river, or a ocean. I see the same for every animal, animals need natural habit, as for my cat. As i said my cat comes to me, loves with me and would go any where with me. The neighbors WANT my cat for them, not upon my cats choice. He goes there because they feed him. If they didnt feed him there would not be an issue.
post #10 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsalifestyle View Post

Well the way I see it is a fish should not be in a bowl, it should be in a lake or river, or a ocean. I see the same for every animal, animals need natural habit, as for my cat. As i said my cat comes to me, loves with me and would go any where with me. The neighbors WANT my cat for them, not upon my cats choice. He goes there because they feed him. If they didnt feed him there would not be an issue.





I agree that a fish should be free in the ocean. Personally, I think there is nothing sadder than a fish in a bowl or a bird in a cage...but you are not re-releasing your cat into its natural environment...which I don't think even exists anymore. You think a cat is meant to be wandering streets, getting hit by cars, tortured by jerks, breeding more cats without homes, spreading disease?



Anyway, there are plenty of threads on the site about indoor/outdoor debates. I just thought it was silly for you to complain about other people taking care of your cat and calling them thieves. Your cat is lucky to have another place to go and people that love him/her since it has no permanent home.
post #11 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva-bo-beva View Post

You think a cat is meant to be wandering streets, getting hit by cars, tortured by jerks, breeding more cats without homes, spreading disease?

Talking about putting words into someone's mouth. I missed her post where she says she thinks cats are meant to be tortured and ran over! And how do you know her cat is unneutered and diseased? I missed a lot.
post #12 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsalifestyle View Post

Well the issue really is that they just want my cat. Its not a issue of me not taking care of my baby. Hes a handsome boy and they want him, and I cant quite communicate it to them that they cant have him! Thanks 4 the post

Ah, I see. Maybe you could shave him and make him real ugly then. Nah, I don't know what to say, other than try confining him to your yard or taking him on walks. Then the neighbors won't have a choice.
post #13 of 80
Shaved pussy!!...*smirks*
post #14 of 80
Well, once a cat starts thinking that it's entitled to come into your home, eat your food, etc, it can be hard to refuse them.



The cat may not be yours, but it'll still whine and claw at the door trying to come in. If you want to stop letting the cat in, you have to be willing to ignore the cat's begging, potentially for hours, or potentially even for days (a long time each day). It can take more willpower than a lot of people have to do that. It's not necessarily a plan theft: it can be more like, "Ack... that cat's at the door again. Why doesn't she go home? Well, we'll give her a little food to shut her up." It's short-sighted, weak-willed, and probably disrespectful of the owner, but not really intentional theft.
post #15 of 80
Sounds like your cat likes your neighbors more than he likes you.
post #16 of 80
Maybe just bringing him indoors will solve the problem. Your cat IS considered a freeroaming cat - a "feral" cat. He is not in a home. He is outdoors roaming the streets. Your neighbors have every right to feed a freeroaming cat.



And when the other poster said that she thinks the OP likes cats that wander, and get tortured, and diseased - she wasn't putting words into the OP's mouth. She was making a point. THESE ARE VERY REAL DANGERS TO FREEROAMING CATS. OP eventually your cat will become a victom of your choice to allow him to be in his "natural" environment. The lifespand of "feral" cats in colony's (meaning they are fed everyday and traped neutered and kepts utd on shots) is still only 2 years BECAUSE they are outdoors.



You are not doing your cat any favors by allowing him to roam outdoors. You ARE exposing him to diseases like FIV/FELV which are fatal. You ARE exposing him to torture, pain, and suffering by allowing him to roam in and out of the street as he pleases. You are not keeping your cat safe from danger - so you therfore are exposing him to danger. If he was a kid CPS would have taken him away already. IMO if your neighbors are letting your cat inside and actually give a crap about his welfare (which you don't seem to) then they SHOULD take him and never give him back.



Unless your cat has a collar, a liscence, and a microchip you have no proof of ownership - and your cat is a freeroaming feral that can be trapped by animal controol and euthanized at ANY time. Yes they do this - in almost every city. I used to worked for an animal shelter.
post #17 of 80
Oh, yeah, I was just going to suggest that. What if you put a fancy collar with ID tags on him?



(A microchip is better for IDing a cat, but won't help with the neighbors).



PS: Don't be dismayed by all the anti-outdoor cat people on the board, they tend to make their opinions known loud and clear and scare off people rather than convince them of anything. Especially when their posts are judgmental and condescending.
post #18 of 80
How does a cat that is indoor/outdoors the same as a feral cat who is on their own outdoors 24/7?. While a cat who goes outdoors as they pleases may face risks that an indoors cat doesn't, I don't think it will compare to the risks a feral cat faces.



I understand there are many arguments for the keeping of indoors cats for many locations and situations, it does not help your indoors cat argument to use examples like that which do not make sense.
post #19 of 80
"Feral adj. Not tame nor domesticated; returned to a wild state; existing in an untamed state." Says Webster's.



I don't agree with allowing cats outdoors, but it doesn't automatically make them "feral."
post #20 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganLynn View Post

Maybe just bringing him indoors will solve the problem. Your cat IS considered a freeroaming cat - a "feral" cat. He is not in a home. He is outdoors roaming the streets. Your neighbors have every right to feed a freeroaming cat.



And when the other poster said that she thinks the OP likes cats that wander, and get tortured, and diseased - she wasn't putting words into the OP's mouth. She was making a point. THESE ARE VERY REAL DANGERS TO FREEROAMING CATS. OP eventually your cat will become a victom of your choice to allow him to be in his "natural" environment. The lifespand of "feral" cats in colony's (meaning they are fed everyday and traped neutered and kepts utd on shots) is still only 2 years BECAUSE they are outdoors.



You are not doing your cat any favors by allowing him to roam outdoors. You ARE exposing him to diseases like FIV/FELV which are fatal. You ARE exposing him to torture, pain, and suffering by allowing him to roam in and out of the street as he pleases. You are not keeping your cat safe from danger - so you therfore are exposing him to danger. If he was a kid CPS would have taken him away already. IMO if your neighbors are letting your cat inside and actually give a crap about his welfare (which you don't seem to) then they SHOULD take him and never give him back.



Unless your cat has a collar, a liscence, and a microchip you have no proof of ownership - and your cat is a freeroaming feral that can be trapped by animal controol and euthanized at ANY time. Yes they do this - in almost every city. I used to worked for an animal shelter.



Indoor/outdoor cats are not feral.



And CPS would probably take a kid away if the parents kept him indoors all of the time. Most kids run around their neighborhoods.. riding bikes, skateboarding, playing basketball or street hockey, hanging out at their friend's house.. etc.
post #21 of 80
I was going to say that they might think the cat is a stray, but I guess not if you have spoken to them. I don't know then.

I guess I wouldn't be too bothered if someone let my kitty into their house and such, as long as they didn't shut her in. I know she will come back. It would be a pain if they fed my sister's cat though, she is already getting kind of pudgy
post #22 of 80
Maybe your cat just likes the neighbours. You say you don't want to "play god" by keeping him locked in at night but then you want to "play god" but choosing his friends for him. I had a cat who like visiting the neighbours. She was just friendly. She had certain human friends apart from me and she'd go visit them. She was never let out and night and she knew what her curfew was and obeyed it, but I really couldn't see why I should have stopped her playing with the next door neighbour if they both enjoyed it.



With all your emphasis on feline freedom wouldn't it also make sense that you'd let your cat choose it's own humans?
Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
Reply
Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
Reply
post #23 of 80
I think there is a difference between enjoying someone else's cat and occasionally feeding it, and wanting to 'steal' someone's cat away from them. When I first moved to my current home, there was a gorgeous/huge/black cat that came to my back door every morning/night. I fed it. I don't know if it belonged to anyone...and it certainly wasn't friendly. I could only get within a few feet from it. If I tried to put my hand out to it, he would immediately scratch me...so I just kept feeding him whenever he came to my door. I probably would have taken him in if he had let me. Certainly no one every came to me and said, 'that is my cat'.

Your circumstance is a little different. I think it is rude/awful, to say the least, if these people are actually trying to steer your cat away from you. It's your cat, whether or not anyone agrees/disagrees with the fact that it is an indoor/outdoor. I have four cats, two go outside and two stay in. It's their choice. I always initially try to keep pet cats in, but end up letting them dictate what their preference is. The two that stay indoors are perfectly happy doing so...they know they have the option of going out if they want to...they choose not to. And I also have a cat the 'visits' the neighbors when they are in their yard....he is a very friendly/lovable soul. They do not, however, let him in their home.

Anyway, I digress....(I had caffeinated coffee this morning...I'm a wee bit hyper) I think it's awful that your neighbors are doing this, especially since you have already spoken to them about it.

If, however, there is some reason for them to believe the cat is not being taken care of, then they should approach you with what they think the problem is. And that's all I have to say on the subject...for now...
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~
Reply
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~
Reply
post #24 of 80
There is a woman in town here who puts out cans of tuna to intentionally lure outdoor cats to her house, then she keeps them. She was telling me about it one day when I worked at the pet store. Obviously I do not agree with stealing someone's cat, so I didn't know what to say.



My kitties are indoor only because I value their safety. (The question is not only, "Are you feeding my cat?" but "what are you feeding my cat?") I have seen outdoor kitties around here before and offered them little treats simply because I enjoy cats and I like to see them happy. If there is one that wants to stop over while I am outdoors and say hello, I will be thrilled. But feeding a cat doesn't necessarily mean you intend to keep the cat.
post #25 of 80
That's the chance you take when you let your cat outside. You're lucky they're being nice to him and that he's not dead on the road or being tormented by the neighborhood kids.



Cats are domesticated animals, they need to be cared for and protected. I sure hope you take better care of your children if/when you have them.
Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
Reply
Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
Reply
post #26 of 80
I agree with Michael. Be glad they're feeding him and being nice to him, because I know a lot people who would handle the neighbor's cat coming onto their property in an entirely different way.
post #27 of 80
The solution is simple, keep your cat indoors. I'm just going to be blunt about this. If you love your cat, you won't expose him to the dangers of being outside. Other animals can kill your cat, even if you live in the city, there are still stray dogs or those in backyards that your cat might jump in. There are many terrible people, a wondering cat to them is a source of entertainment; this happens a lot more than you think and the things they will do to cats are much to graphic for me to type. They can also get diseases and they can easily get stuck in places and get in all sorts of trouble.



Anyways, I hope everything works out with your cat.
post #28 of 80
I didn't read the other responses so I appologise if this repeats any of the answers...



When I see an animal that is running loose, I consider it to be a stray. I think this especially if it comes to my house and appears to be hungry or lost. Perhaps your neighbors think this too and don't think the cat is being cared for. I'm not judging you for letting your cat run, but I'm just not one to ever do this. Does your cat have a collar with tags that show it #1 is a pet and #2 has been to the vet to be taken care of and vaccinated?
post #29 of 80
Be careful how you state what your neighbors are doing, in most communities they are not stealing if you allow your cat to be outdoors (even if you have spoken to them). My town (and likely many others) have leash laws for ALL domestic species, for cats, if they are outdoors, they must be contained or on leash no longer than 6 feet. Also, any cat that you feed is considered your property, meaning our neighbor could accurately state that since they are feeding "your" cat, she is theirs. If you don't want your "property" stolen, then don't let other have access to it. If I found your cat on my doorstep, I would turn her in as a stray (even if I knew she was yours). Especially if this was a repeated issue. It's just plain rude and un-neighborly to allow your cat to go to other people's houses.
post #30 of 80
Cats are very independent creatures. They frequently get more attached to a place than people.



A neighbouring cat spends many hours using my bed during the daytime as a place to have his siesta. He doesn't bother me, I don't bother him. He's free to come and go as he pleases. He climbs through the window and leaves when he wakes up.



But I do not feed him. I know he has a place to go and eat if he's hungry (his guardian - or what some people would call "owner"). I know the person who is his guardian - she loves cats and cares for him well. He just prefers having his siesta here for some reason. Cats are unfathomable creatures.



ANIMALS ARE NOT PROPERTY!!!!!! And the cat of the OP is certainly giving this message very strongly. Perhaps this cat is an AR activist???? Direct action in motion...



The cat I live with and care for had an "owner" once. But he refused to live with them, and ended up in our place... and he never left. Kept on returning and decided that it was the place he wanted to live. It was pefectly obvious to all that he found us an ideal family and an ideal location to live at. I found him asleep on my bed once (I obviously have a bed that cats seem to enjoy - LOL!). I spoke to the people who had been caring for him before (they really loved him dearly), and we decided that it was silly to drag him back to their place, because he would just come back to ours. For some reason, he preferred it here. Probably because there is a big botanical garden across the road where he loves to roam and which is just as much his "home" as the apartment which he can use when he is in need of a more sheltered place and if he feels like being stroked and cuddled a bit.



I repeat: ANIMALS ARE NOT PROPERTY. Long live animal freedom.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Companion Animals
VeggieBoards › Forums › Family & Lifestyle › Companion Animals › Why do people steal other peoples cats???