or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Beer

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
Maybe a dumb question but.....I read that not all beer is vegetarian. What is in it that makes it this way?
post #2 of 15
I believe some beers (and some wines and some other liquors) are filtered with animal products---gelatin or isinglass (something from fish). It's not in the final product. I know of some veg*ns who don't consume these products and others are less strict and consume them anyway. If you do a Google search for vegetarian/vegan beers, you should be able to find a list somewhere.
post #3 of 15
http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...highlight=beer



There are a ton of other threads on this topic. Do an advanced search for "beer".
post #4 of 15
Im to drunk therefore lazy to look it up. However I really really hope Corona is vegetarian friendly cause I had at least 5 is about 2 hours and I dont drink much anymore.
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctem View Post

Im to drunk therefore lazy to look it up. However I really really hope Corona is vegetarian friendly cause I had at least 5 is about 2 hours and I dont drink much anymore.



Then you either don't care or are not worried about it.
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctem View Post

Im to drunk therefore lazy to look it up. However I really really hope Corona is vegetarian friendly cause I had at least 5 is about 2 hours and I dont drink much anymore.



I had a quick jaunt around the net, and it looks like Corona isn't vegan.



They also sponsor bull-fighting too, apparently, so that's something else to think about. :/



Whenever I'm getting drunk, I just stick to Miller's anyway.
post #7 of 15
Blech. Guinness isn't vegan. Eh. Warsteiner, theoretically, is at least. I guess it doesn't matter, though, since I'm pregnant. However, O'Doul's is actually pretty good for a fake beer. It reminds me of Bud's Amber Bock. My husband bought me a case of O'Doul's when I was craving beer. I don't think it was pregnancy hormone craving, just an I want what I can't have craving.



My favorite wine is Manechevitz(sp?). It's a Jewish Kosher wine, so I'm betting it's safe.



Thanks for the info,

Laura
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_to_earth View Post

Blech. Guinness isn't vegan. Eh. Warsteiner, theoretically, is at least. I guess it doesn't matter, though, since I'm pregnant. However, O'Doul's is actually pretty good for a fake beer. It reminds me of Bud's Amber Bock. My husband bought me a case of O'Doul's when I was craving beer. I don't think it was pregnancy hormone craving, just an I want what I can't have craving.



My favorite wine is Manechevitz(sp?). It's a Jewish Kosher wine, so I'm betting it's safe.



Thanks for the info,

Laura



Its like liquid candy.



Love it !
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Brandon View Post

http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...highlight=beer



There are a ton of other threads on this topic. Do an advanced search for "beer".



Start a new thread, get yelled at for not searching. Search and respond to a thread, get yelled at for raising and old thread from the dead. You can't win.
post #10 of 15
I love this site http://www.isitvegan.info/



It's an online searchable database of foods that are vegan (also useful for me as an ovo-lacto veggie though!). It's mainly UK products and it doesn't have corona...so it may veggie or may not be.
post #11 of 15
I don't bother checking beer for it's vegetarian status. I'll still drink it. I'll still drink guinness.



It's really not something that worries me too much. Besides, if you think of it in terms of appearance, it makes vegetarians look less like the kinds of people who are sacrificing good things and more like sociable people who don't eat meat.
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdufstuff View Post

Start a new thread, get yelled at for not searching. Search and respond to a thread, get yelled at for raising and old thread from the dead. You can't win.



LoL
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdufstuff View Post

Start a new thread, get yelled at for not searching. Search and respond to a thread, get yelled at for raising and old thread from the dead. You can't win.



ahhh tis the theme of every message board
post #14 of 15
I was curious about this also and came across this list and was happy to find that the brand I normally drink...when I do drink.... is suitable!



http://homepage.ntlworld.com/geraint...ian_beers.html
post #15 of 15
Most really good beers are vegetarian.



Seriously though, the non-veg ones are severely outnumbered. Generic macro's like Bud and such are vegan as is Grolsch. Generally the filtration occurs in darker beers. Unfiltered beer (Hefe's) are generally safe as well.



Samuel Smith and Clipper City are veg too, which is good because they are the most wonderful things on Earth.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Vegetarian Support Forum