or Connect
VeggieBoards › Forums › Raw Food Forum › Raw Food Support Forum › Raw Mushrooms - Safe to eat?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Raw Mushrooms - Safe to eat?

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
Is it safe to eat uncooked mushrooms? I usually eat shiitake or portabella daily but I've always cooked them in the past. I'd like to go raw with mushrooms as I have with fruits and veggies, but I know they're a whole different category. Just curious to know if there's any short/long term issues with eating them. Those spores worry me unless I cook them!
post #2 of 20
I put them on my salad at salad bar restaurants all the time. As long as they're cleaned, I don't see an issue. Or let's say, I don't see any issue beyond the possiblity of cross-contamination that you would have with any raw vegetable.
post #3 of 20
I eat raw portobellos all the time.



I wash them and de-stem them. They are great with raw, homemade guacamole and chopped tomatoes on top.



I also use them in this really good raw fettucini dish.
post #4 of 20
Eating raw organic mushrooms is safe. If you want them to take on more of the texture of cooked, you can marinate them in EVOO and then dehydrate them. I do this when I make my pesto stuffed mushrooms.



I also harvest wild mushrooms and eat them. However, this is very dangerous unless you know what you are doing. I thought about starting a thread on the subject one time, but I would feel bad if someone ate a mushroom that was poisonous.
post #5 of 20
Thread Starter 
Never thought about eating them with guacamole. May have to try that sometime as I make an excellent guac that gets no action these days since dropping tortilla chips a few months ago.



Seems like I seriously need to invest in a dehydrator. If they truly take on the texture of cooked after being marniated and dehydrated, then I think I'm sold! I just tried to eat some of my shiitake raw and it honestly felt like I had chicken skin slipping between my teeth. My friend has a dehydrator she never used, maybe I can buy it off her. I've gotten use to diet changes in the past, raw mushrooms will come around for me eventually now that I know they're safe to eat. Thanks for the replies everyone



SamuelWilson - You're probably right in regards to someone eating the wrong mushroom. I know I'd be super thrilled and eat the first mushroom I came across after hearing wild mushrooms are edible.
post #6 of 20
You could try the carrot and parsnip fettucini that I make a lot. It calls for marinating and dehydrating the portobellos. They turn out so good.



http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=49435
post #7 of 20
Thread Starter 
Wow Jenna! You did an impeccable job recreating the recipe if those are your photos. Now I am completly in dire need of a dehydrator. This can be the first thing I make with it
post #8 of 20
I eat both portobella and shiitake mushrooms raw. The portabellas are really good with guacamole!
post #9 of 20
Ate a supermarket mushroom raw yesterday; tasty enough, but oh dear, woke up feeling like I'd eaten a rotten apple Might've been coincidental, but got myself on Google and found this...



http://www.mykoweb.com/articles/EatingRawMushrooms.html



Be careful! (even in Tescos)
post #10 of 20
I've always eaten raw mushrooms. They're tasty. Just make sure you wash 'em.
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profilus View Post

Ate a supermarket mushroom raw yesterday; tasty enough, but oh dear, woke up feeling like I'd eaten a rotten apple Might've been coincidental, but got myself on Google and found this...



http://www.mykoweb.com/articles/EatingRawMushrooms.html



Be careful! (even in Tescos)



While this is a really great link, thanks I too have been eating raw mushrooms for years and never had any problem. I don't even wash them, I just wipe them with soft cloth, or brush. Also, I don't think that restaurants could legally serve them raw if they were more dangerous than any other raw veggie. Having said that....there is ALWAYS a chance of cross contamination with any raw food. This risk also increases the more hands touch your food on its way to you. I think if it was the mushroom that made you ill, it was something that came in contact with it, not the actual fungi. I think the risk of illness is the same for all produce.....most food borne illness start with raw foods. Remember the green onion, spinach, and lettuce outbreaks???
post #12 of 20
Well, I get closed cup mushroooms from the supermarket and eat them raw in salads, so I guess they're OK.
"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -Sirius Black
Reply
"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -Sirius Black
Reply
post #13 of 20
I've never had a problem with raw mushrooms.



I think that MykoWeb link is very questionable. I'm willing to bet this story was passed on by a "friend of a friend who knew someone who heard about..." or it's some kind of folktale

Quote:
By dramatic example, a few free-spirited youths in Hawaii a few years ago blithely consumed blue-staining Psilocybes as they went collecting from cow patties. What a downer it must have been a short while later, when the doctor told them they had nematodes!

Nematodes aren't really that easy to diagnose, and the "free spirited youths" aren't really all going to be crapping out worms after eating mushrooms or something like that. And even if by some fantastical event they all got diagnosed with nematodes, you can get nematodes from any vegetable - how would they know it was the mushrooms?

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

 

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

Reply

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

 

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

Reply
post #14 of 20
I've never had any problems with mushrooms. I eat them raw all the time. I like to put them in salads.
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessican3267 View Post

I've never had any problems with mushrooms. I eat them raw all the time. I like to put them in salads.

I usually buy the button mushrooms. I need to try the Portabello or the ****ake mushrooms sometime
post #16 of 20
Ive eaten a portabella mushrom "burger" twice in the month and both times fell ill 3-6 hours later. First time i ate half and had horrible diarrhea for a few hours. Wasn't quite sure if it was from the mushroom. Second time, i ate the entire sandwich and along with soft stool, I had the shakes w heart palps, then a few hours later extremely nauseous, running to the bathroom! Not sure if i just cannot digest it or some type of toxin is disagreeing w me. Im not much of a mushroom eater but simply wanted to try meat alternatives. Anyone have similar story?
post #17 of 20

I've recently eating raw mushroom ceviche in a raw food restaurant. They 'cooked' it in lemon juice. They said that the lemon juice makes them more suitable for eating. I don't know exactly what the chemical processes are behind this. It was delicious though, I never thought I'd eat raw mushrooms.

https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/Solkiki for stone ground, bean-to-bar, vegan, white, milk and dark, caramel and raw chocolate
Like our new Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Solkiki/723232394365556?ref=hl
Low cost international shipping!

Reply

https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/Solkiki for stone ground, bean-to-bar, vegan, white, milk and dark, caramel and raw chocolate
Like our new Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Solkiki/723232394365556?ref=hl
Low cost international shipping!

Reply
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solkiki View Post
 

I've recently eating raw mushroom ceviche in a raw food restaurant. They 'cooked' it in lemon juice. They said that the lemon juice makes them more suitable for eating. I don't know exactly what the chemical processes are behind this. It was delicious though, I never thought I'd eat raw mushrooms.

 

Oh, that sounds interesting.  Citrus juice is one way of chemically cooking things; although I don't know quite how it would work on mushrooms.

 

Citric acid is pretty strong, and makes a lot of chemical bonds, making nutrients more available.

post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessican3267 View Post

I've never had any problems with mushrooms. I eat them raw all the time. I like to put them in salads.

 

Me too and I haven't died (yet) :up:

 

I prefer them cooked in garlic-infused olive oil though.

Avatar by http://leelab.deviantart.com/ "Sugar Skull Two", permission for use obtained from artist
Reply
Avatar by http://leelab.deviantart.com/ "Sugar Skull Two", permission for use obtained from artist
Reply
post #20 of 20

Ate raw mushrooms often,no problem,tasty thing.No wrong stuff out of it

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Raw Food Support Forum
VeggieBoards › Forums › Raw Food Forum › Raw Food Support Forum › Raw Mushrooms - Safe to eat?