or Connect
VeggieBoards › Forums › Health & Nutrition › Physical Fitness › How long does it take you to bicycle 7.5 miles?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How long does it take you to bicycle 7.5 miles?

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
i'm thinking of riding a bike to work. it's 7.5 miles away and riding straight down one street will take me directly there. i'm just wondering approximately how long it will take to get there. i normally drive on the freeway to work, and that takes about ten to 15 minutes, depending on traffic.



from your biking experience, can you give me an estimate? thanks.
post #2 of 26
Maybe a half hour, depending on how often you get stopped and w many inclines/slopes you have. Also depends on whether you have one of those nice road bikes, a mountain bike, a hybrid, or something else. it would take me about half and hour if on pavement, a little longer on a gravelly surface, if I'm on a hybrid, but it would be faster on a road bike. Also depends on how much effort you want to put into it - whether you'll be pushing it to speed along or if you ride leisurely.



So there's my long answer to a very short question
post #3 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana View Post

Maybe a half hour, depending on how often you get stopped and w many inclines/slopes you have. Also depends on whether you have one of those nice road bikes, a mountain bike, a hybrid, or something else. it would take me about half and hour if on pavement, a little longer on a gravelly surface, if I'm on a hybrid, but it would be faster on a road bike. Also depends on how much effort you want to put into it - whether you'll be pushing it to speed along or if you ride leisurely.



So there's my long answer to a very short question

thanks. yeah, i was thinking 30-40 minutes too. it's all pavement and leveled, no slopes. i actually don't have a bike yet, but i'm going to mainly to ride on trails, to and at the beach, possibly to work too. i think a road bike would be good for this usage, right? i don't think i'll be using it on bumpy trails.
post #4 of 26
30-40 sounds about right. I bought a hybrid, thought it'd be good for whatever comes up. I usually ride on the street or a paved trail so I sometimes wish I had gotten a road bike, I'm lazy and it's less resistance.



If you're worried about being late you can always try it on your day off first.
Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
Reply
Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
Reply
post #5 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

30-40 sounds about right. I bought a hybrid, thought it'd be good for whatever comes up. I usually ride on the street or a paved trail so I sometimes wish I had gotten a road bike, I'm lazy and it's less resistance.



If you're worried about being late you can always try it on your day off first.

yeah, my brother doesn't recommend hybrids for some reason. i work at five in the morning, no traffic. so i think half hour might be it. but i can work as early as i want so, i guess i could leave home way early, to play it safe the first time. it's just gonna be a hot ride back though. lol.
post #6 of 26
I'm thinking 30-35 minutes sounds about right too. I know I can do a little more than 5 miles in about 20 minutes, so figure in 10 minutes per 2.5 miles and it would probably be about that amount of time. I ride on primarily streets and sidewalks, and ride a mountain bike for what that's worth.



I would recommend taking a change of shirt with you too. Or a towel. Or both.

post #7 of 26
It takes me 20 mins to ride 10 miles... :P



But in your circumstances.. I agree with the rest, it'll take you 30 mins.
post #8 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Brandon View Post

I'm thinking 30-35 minutes sounds about right too. I know I can do a little more than 5 miles in about 20 minutes, so figure in 10 minutes per 2.5 miles and it would probably be about that amount of time. I ride on primarily streets and sidewalks, and ride a mountain bike for what that's worth.



I would recommend taking a change of shirt with you too. Or a towel. Or both.


yeah, and a water bottle for the hot ride back. lol. what would you recommend for riding on streets, mountain or road bike? i was thinking of buying a road bike.
post #9 of 26
depending what kinda bike you have and your fitness level, you're looking at 20-40 minutes. i do 10 hilly miles here in san francisco in about 25 to 30 minutes.

pertaining to road bike vs mountain bike, though. if you're going to be using this bicycle for going to work you'll get there fastest on a road bike simply because it will be lighter and you'll experience less wind resistance. i'd recommend going to a local bike shop, though, and trying out a road bike and a comfort bike. if i were you, i'd invest in a decent comfort bike where you can sit upright and put some road tires on it to reduce wind resistance. i took my schwinn cruiser and put a two rear baskets on it and i do all my grocery shopping with it, it's seriously the most fun i've ever had... lifts me up everyday i'm feeling down. as far as your brother not recommending a hybrid/comfort bike, it's really your decision. go try out a couple! a hybrid bike will mostly limit you to riding in the street (as where a mountain bike can pretty much anywhere)... so that's one downside, but it is a very comfortable ride, which may encourage you to actually take it to work quite often. who knows? just see which fits you best and which you look the most adorable on, after all... you're not racing, so just have fun with it.



oh, p.s. - here's howl, pre-baskets:



post #10 of 26
Mountain bike would be the best. You can ride it anywhere and gives you better stability.
post #11 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebop86 View Post

depending what kinda bike you have and your fitness level, you're looking at 20-40 minutes. i do 10 hilly miles here in san francisco in about 25 to 30 minutes.

pertaining to road bike vs mountain bike, though. if you're going to be using this bicycle for going to work you'll get there fastest on a road bike simply because it will be lighter and you'll experience less wind resistance. i'd recommend going to a local bike shop, though, and trying out a road bike and a comfort bike. if i were you, i'd invest in a decent comfort bike where you can sit upright and put some road tires on it to reduce wind resistance. i took my schwinn cruiser and put a two rear baskets on it and i do all my grocery shopping with it, it's seriously the most fun i've ever had... lifts me up everyday i'm feeling down. as far as your brother not recommending a hybrid/comfort bike, it's really your decision. go try out a couple! a hybrid bike will mostly limit you to riding in the street (as where a mountain bike can pretty much anywhere)... so that's one downside, but it is a very comfortable ride, which may encourage you to actually take it to work quite often. who knows? just see which fits you best and which you look the most adorable on, after all... you're not racing, so just have fun with it.



oh, p.s. - here's howl, pre-baskets:




cool. thanks.
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buenosayres View Post


from your biking experience, can you give me an estimate? thanks.



Oh! I tried this once... for some reason, it took me all day...



Ride 1/2 a mile, take a "shortcut" and get lost

Ride 1/2 mile (out of your way!!) go into Starbucks for Ice Tea and to ask directions...

Ride another 1/2 mile and stop to go potty...

Ride another 1/2 mile, stop to talk to the old lady with the pretty Border Collie...

Ride another 1/4 mile, stop and get a muffin at the vegan bakery, talk to the staff about good Thai restaurants in the neighborhood and what's on sale at the co-op this week...

Ride another two blocks, stop and rest because it's been a pretty steep hill - read the flyer stapled to the phone-pole about a local band you wanted to hear.

Ride another 1/2 mile and stop to answer your cell phone because it's your kids and they have an urgent problem - the cable TV is out, whatever should they do...

Ride another 1/2 mile (and three hourse after starting out..) collapse on the grass at the park and decide this is not nearly as much fun as it first sounded like and it takes WAY too much time... enjoy the sun, fall asleep....



YMMV
post #13 of 26
>>It takes me 20 mins to ride 10 miles... :P

But in your circumstances.. I agree with the rest, it'll take you 30 mins.>>



You cruise at 30 mph? Are you a professional cyclist?



ebola
post #14 of 26
on a relatively rolly-polly area with a hybrid bike, i manage about 15-18 miles in 45-60 minutes. so, i'd say 25-30 or so. but, that's going for exercise, not going for a ride before work, which may require less to no sweating.
post #15 of 26
Thread Starter 
so today i took the route i will take, but on my car though 'cause i don't have the bike yet. it was 7 miles(looked at the odometer) and it took me 16 minutes, driving at 35-40 mph all the way.



i do plan to ride the bike fast, but not too fast 'cause i don't want to arrive tired to work. half an hour should be enough time, i think.







Gnome Chomsky: 30 mph is cruising? i might ride at that speed then. maybe faster. i'll have to give it a try.
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome Chomsky View Post

>>It takes me 20 mins to ride 10 miles... :P

But in your circumstances.. I agree with the rest, it'll take you 30 mins.>>



You cruise at 30 mph? Are you a professional cyclist?



ebola





i have gone 45 mph before.. I dont know the speed and no im not professional cyclist.



Im thinking about buying Pulse Mountain Bike, it looks pretty good.. I want to get back into cycling.
post #17 of 26
Geez. I have a very hilly ride to work and it takes me 20 minutes to go 3 miles! Maybe I'm just slow though.
post #18 of 26
Thread Starter 
well, today i went to one bike store...they didn't have many bikes to suit my needs, which was dissappointing considering they have "the largest selection in OC". this was the one i liked the most: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/030...sp?model=11057





although there were many things i liked about it, there were also things i didn't. like the type of shifters it had, and the fact that i won't be able to install a basket in the rear, only a rack. i suppose i can attach a basket to that rack though. but the shifters?



i'm still gonna look around at other stores for other brands to see which one i like best. i'm in no hurry and i want to buy the right bike for me.
post #19 of 26
My overall average is 12mph (~20kph), as my average counter counts all speeds whenever my wheels are in motion. Considering I bike in traffic with all the stop lights, I have a lot of slowing downs and speedings up.



Naturalchick - I try not to compare myself to others, only myself. It takes me 35-40 minutes to get to the picketline (what was work), which is just over 11 km (~7 miles) with my new hybrid. On my old mountain bike, it was 40-55 minutes. I'm in great shape and have sexy legs
post #20 of 26
Geez you guys are making me feel slow. I just rode 15miles,took me a bit over 2 hours and I had to stop on the way home for sugar lollies because I felt like passing out!!
post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyD View Post

Geez you guys are making me feel slow. I just rode 15miles,took me a bit over 2 hours and I had to stop on the way home for sugar lollies because I felt like passing out!!



Good for you that you did 15 miles (however far that is lol <<metric)!!



I've been cycling to work since May, and was running errands before that. At the height, I was cycling ~25km a day, 5 times a week. Obviously, a leisurely pace for me (18km/hr) is a hard pace for you.



Also, we probably have different bikes then you. For example, if you have a basic Walmart bike, your bike probably weighs twice as much as mine. My bike is less then half the weight (an adult bike) then Michael's "Walmart"-style bike (he's 6 years old)!! The extra weight adds up.



It's important to just plug away at it, take your time, and screw competing with anyone else!! You may find a cheap spedometer handy, as it allows you to track your distance, speed, etc and makes it easier for you to compete against yourself.



Good job on biking
post #22 of 26
>>Gnome Chomsky: 30 mph is cruising? i might ride at that speed then. maybe faster. i'll have to give it a try.>>



Mere mortals cannot cruise at this speed. I, for one, on a light roadbike, can cruise at 20 MPH on flat pavement with no wind. My sprint might be 30 MPH.



>>i have gone 45 mph before.. I dont know the speed and no im not professional cyclist.



Im thinking about buying Pulse Mountain Bike, it looks pretty good.. I want to get back into cycling.>>



If you can ride this fast on flat ground (30 or 45 or whatever), I really would consider switching professions and becoming a professional cyclist.



ebola
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Oh! I tried this once... for some reason, it took me all day...



Ride 1/2 a mile, take a "shortcut" and get lost

Ride 1/2 mile (out of your way!!) go into Starbucks for Ice Tea and to ask directions...

Ride another 1/2 mile and stop to go potty...

Ride another 1/2 mile, stop to talk to the old lady with the pretty Border Collie...

Ride another 1/4 mile, stop and get a muffin at the vegan bakery, talk to the staff about good Thai restaurants in the neighborhood and what's on sale at the co-op this week...

Ride another two blocks, stop and rest because it's been a pretty steep hill - read the flyer stapled to the phone-pole about a local band you wanted to hear.

Ride another 1/2 mile and stop to answer your cell phone because it's your kids and they have an urgent problem - the cable TV is out, whatever should they do...

Ride another 1/2 mile (and three hourse after starting out..) collapse on the grass at the park and decide this is not nearly as much fun as it first sounded like and it takes WAY too much time... enjoy the sun, fall asleep....



YMMV



LMAO.



Sounds like my kind of bike riding.
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudVegan View Post

i have gone 45 mph before.. I dont know the speed and no im not professional cyclist.

How can you claim to simultaneously know the exact speed you were going and not know the speed at all? Do you have a speedometer on your bike?



The fastest I've ever gone is somewhere around 35 miles per hour and that's going down long steep hills in San Francisco. I'm not even sure if adding another 10 miles an hour would have been possible! I suppose that when you travel your 10 miles, and it's down a steep hill the whole way, it's possible you got there in 20 minutes. Is that the case? Or does your bicycle have a motor?
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome Chomsky View Post

>>If you can ride this fast on flat ground (30 or 45 or whatever), I really would consider switching professions and becoming a professional cyclist.



ebola



I agree.
post #26 of 26
Well, I don't have a bike but I've been riding the exercise bike at the gym lately since my hip has been hurting (thus, low impact cardio), and I do somewhere between 5 and 6 miles in 30 minutes. Of course, there are no hills, nor is there the opportunity to glide at all, and after about 15 minutes my butt really starts to hurt from the seat... so i'm sure these things all factor in!
http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Reply
http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Physical Fitness
VeggieBoards › Forums › Health & Nutrition › Physical Fitness › How long does it take you to bicycle 7.5 miles?