Originally Posted by Irizary
People that stupid shouldn't be working in any area that has any impact over anyone else's lives.
Well, they do. There are quite a few extremely ignorant people who are able to influence the outcomes of children's lives.
Alright, so here's the advice I have for any vegetarian or vegan parent, foster parent, guardian, or adoptive parent who may have to interact with Child Protective Services/ Family Services:
- Do whatever it takes to make sure your child thrives in your care. Make sure this is completely obvious to anyone paying attention.
- Make sure your pediatrician is pro-veg. Ask around and find one who has zero issue with your diet/lifestyle.
- Study up on veg nutrition from reputable, mainstream sources. Have veg nutrition books, booklets, DVDs, etc in your home and easily accessible should you need them in a moments notice.
- If you can, keep a low profile. For example, use the word "vegetarian" instead of "vegan." If you're an activist, take a break for a bit. Etc.
- Use your resources. For example, if you have money hire a really good lawyer; it will be well worth it. If you have friends in high places, ask for help.
Lastly, if they remove your natural or adopted children, beg your friends and family to get licensed to be fostercare providers. Many states will prefer to put the children in the care of someone familiar rather than a stranger. This will end up being better for your children in the long run and might even make some other things easier for you (like visitation, etc). It can strain the relationship between you and the friend/family member who fosters but it's really much better for the kids, so long as that person is a good parental figure.