or Connect
VeggieBoards › Forums › General Discussion Forums › The Compost Heap › Mary J Blige Burger King Ad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mary J Blige Burger King Ad - Page 2

post #31 of 95
I don't see anything remotely racist about the ad. The lyrics seem to be saying what's in the sandwich--cheese, sauce, etc.

Chicken and watermelons were considered slave food because they were unpopular with white slave owners. Peasant foods in many cultures have this stereotype. However, in the US chicken and watermelons were used in racist blackface comedy.
Beanitarian.
Reply
Beanitarian.
Reply
post #32 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorjor View Post

I'm black ^ I didn't take offense to it. But it was a terrible commercial.

Is there a good commercial?
Jesus saved me, but the file was corrupted.
Reply
Jesus saved me, but the file was corrupted.
Reply
post #33 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorjor View Post

I just watched it on TMZ. It's painfully cheesy and corny as heck but I wasn't offended... Seems like they're are just looking for something to be offended about. in the last year I swear people have become more thin-skinned than ever.

Have you seen the BK commercial with that Beckham guy? Also totally full of cheese. I fail to see how this guy is so hot that he is hypnotizing.
post #34 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorjor View Post

I just watched it on TMZ.

I'd appreciate it if you (or someone) would please post the URL. Thanks.
post #35 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineaa View Post

Peasant foods in many cultures have this stereotype. However, in the US chicken and watermelons were used in racist blackface comedy.

i don't know. soul food is just poor southern food. don't know about chickens exactly fitting peasant cuisine, chitlins certainly. tripe, haggis. organ meats, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C45g3YP7JOk

just watch the whole movie. it's good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhnsaMLtQM8&feature=related
* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
Reply
* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
Reply
post #36 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

I'd appreciate it if you (or someone) would please post the URL. Thanks.

here it is

http://www.tmz.com/2012/04/04/mary-j.../#.T3_SZHZQono
post #37 of 95
If it had been a white person singing about "French" fries, I swear I'd be so offended I might even go so far as to find the video on Youtube and "dislike" it.

That would teach them.

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

Reply

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

Reply
post #38 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad888 View Post

If it had been a white person singing about "French" fries, I swear I'd be so offended I might even go so far as to find the video on Youtube and "dislike" it.

We call them "freedom fries" in 'Merica.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

 

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

Reply

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

 

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

Reply
post #39 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

We call them "freedom fries" in 'Merica.

LOL. Even Democrats?
post #40 of 95
What a god awful advert.
post #41 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad888 View Post

If it had been a white person singing about "French" fries, I swear I'd be so offended I might even go so far as to find the video on Youtube and "dislike" it.

That would teach them.

white people like juice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UayQTu2kH-U
* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
Reply
* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
Reply
post #42 of 95

**** the pint, she take blood by the liter. 

i'll never leave her, my vicious vixen. 

Reply

**** the pint, she take blood by the liter. 

i'll never leave her, my vicious vixen. 

Reply
post #43 of 95
Don No Soul Simmons: A man who turned a personal affliction into a recording career!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WICfZ4_V-ys
post #44 of 95
as for the actual ad..

i can't believe Mary J. Blige would be so stupid. most people acknowledge that these stereotypes are awful and hurtful (even ?uestlove said that 'i'm the first to order the fish, no matter how much i want the chickenbreast'), but for some reason she still did it. PR advisers tell up and coming black celebrity to not get caught eating 'black food', as if we needed telling twice! i'm disappointed in her. first, for doing a terribly stereotypical ad, and two, doing an ad like this at all. her other ad campaigns have been for VIVA Glam (AIDS awareness through MAC cosmetics) and the like. she seemed above shilling about disgusting food for money.

from Washington Post

Quote:
"Mary J has always presented herself as a special artist and been received as such," culture critic and observer Toure told me in an e-mail. "She's the Queen. She seems to represent the people. To hear her sing the praises of fried chicken is a bit jarring because it's such a stereotype-heavy food." Renay Alize at Madame Noire slammed the commercial as "buffoonish" and wondered why Blige would "stoop to portraying a stereotype."

lame

**** the pint, she take blood by the liter. 

i'll never leave her, my vicious vixen. 

Reply

**** the pint, she take blood by the liter. 

i'll never leave her, my vicious vixen. 

Reply
post #45 of 95
"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
Reply
"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
Reply
post #46 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

But what really amazes me in this thread that there are white people posting in it who presume to tell black people what they should or shouldn't find racist. Outrageous.

You say, after ignoring the opinion of the black person who actually offered their opinion on it.

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

Reply

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

Reply
post #47 of 95
And the person who actually performed in the ad to begin with. But apparently the racist status of a black person implying through song that fried chicken is worth eating must be decided by the will of the majority. Perhaps they should hold a moot or something.
Jesus saved me, but the file was corrupted.
Reply
Jesus saved me, but the file was corrupted.
Reply
post #48 of 95
After making them for the first time yesterday, I have decided that Mary J Blige should sing about mock tuna sandwiches.
post #49 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorjor View Post

here it is

http://www.tmz.com/2012/04/04/mary-j.../#.T3_SZHZQono

Thank you.


ETA: I just saw the ad on my laptop using wifi. I did not see anything wrong with it.
post #50 of 95
Wow. That is an incredibly crappy ad. Who made it, someone who learned how to copy and paste footage into Movie Maker?

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

Reply

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

Reply
post #51 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesia View Post

After making them for the first time yesterday, I have decided that Mary J Blige should sing about mock tuna sandwiches.

Everybody should sing about mock tuna sandwiches!

Apparently this is the "unfinished" version of the commerical so that might possibly explain why it's so crappy and cheesy. Although I can't help but wonder if it really is the finished commercial and the "unfinished" line was just an excuse because of all the negative backlash it has received.
post #52 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegkid View Post

You say, after ignoring the opinion of the black person who actually offered their opinion on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvington View Post

And the person who actually performed in the ad to begin with. But apparently the racist status of a black person implying through song that fried chicken is worth eating must be decided by the will of the majority. Perhaps they should hold a moot or something.

To be fair, Mary J. Blige apologized for the ad and said it didn't come off the way she intended. And another poster who I believe is black (Kenickie) did say she had a problem with the ad.

I just personally don't see how it's racist/offensive and I'm not going to refrain from having my own opinion because I'm not black. I'm also not telling other people what to think/feel, contrary to what was implied.

We are all copies of the same machine. 

Reply

We are all copies of the same machine. 

Reply
post #53 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenickie View Post

as for the actual ad..

i can't believe Mary J. Blige would be so stupid. most people acknowledge that these stereotypes are awful and hurtful (even ?uestlove said that 'i'm the first to order the fish, no matter how much i want the chickenbreast'), but for some reason she still did it. PR advisers tell up and coming black celebrity to not get caught eating 'black food', as if we needed telling twice! i'm disappointed in her. first, for doing a terribly stereotypical ad,

Sorry, but as a white person it has totally escaped my attention that there is any stereotype regarding black people and chicken. I've been an omni for most of my past life and have eaten plenty of chicken, including in the household I grew up in, and this idea was never even suggested.

Billie Holiday has a song titled "Gimme a Pigfoot, and a Bottle of Beer," but I don't recall any song by a black performer about chicken.

I'd be very interested to know what foods are supposedly "black" foods--particularly the kinds of foods black people feel they have to avoid in order not to perpetuate stereotypes.
post #54 of 95
I only know fried chicken, watermelon, grape soda, and kool-aid, and that's because of jokes, a lot of the time by black comedians themselves.
post #55 of 95
There's an easy solution: Everytime Burgerking wants to make an ad about chicken, just have "no black people need apply". That way they won't offend anyone.
post #56 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

There's an easy solution: Everytime Burgerking wants to make an ad about chicken, just have "no black people need apply". That way they won't offend anyone.

But then there would be an outcry about that being racist.
post #57 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlixJ18 View Post

...grape soda...

Grape drink.
post #58 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlixJ18 View Post

I only know fried chicken, ...

I live in the South. There are plenty of places offering Southern fried chicken. AFAIK, white people eat this as much as black people do.
post #59 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

I live in the South. There are plenty of places offering Southern fried chicken. AFAIK, white people eat this as much as black people do.

Here is why.
post #60 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

I live in the South. There are plenty of places offering Southern fried chicken. AFAIK, white people eat this as much as black people do.

I'm just stating the common stereotypes that's all, you asked.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Compost Heap
VeggieBoards › Forums › General Discussion Forums › The Compost Heap › Mary J Blige Burger King Ad