or Connect
VeggieBoards › Forums › Family & Lifestyle › Frugal Living › ALDI love...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ALDI love... - Page 2

post #31 of 96
Sounds like a place for bargains. I found their website. Sadly none in California. I'll have to stick with Grocery Outlet for my bargain shopping.
post #32 of 96
I checked the cinnamon rolls and they have switched suppliers on the jumbo ones too. So I guess now I will be buying them at Walmart until they switch too. We don't eat them every day but do like to have them occasionally on the weekend.

I didn't know that the fruit gels weren't gelatin though...good to know.
post #33 of 96
We got some Aldi's over here. But i prefer to shop at Lidl (same concept as Aldi. Everything cheap). A much bigger choice in fruits and vegetables.
post #34 of 96
Thread Starter 
I understand that ALDI and Trader Joe's are run by the same company which explains why many of the special buys are the same.
post #35 of 96
My parents have been shopping at aldi since I was a kid and I always enjoyed going there as a kid we would fill up two or three carts and really stock up.....my parents still shop there and like a whole lot of the things there and I have to admit being the coupon duchess I usually am shopping at a store with a fistfull of coupons or electronic coupons....but I do like Aldi...except they dont take coupons...with one exception when they had the grand open they had a $5.00 off your order coupon.... for a few things like their canned esp their own brand rotel and frozen veggies, bottled gardinera, sometimes hummus and soymilk and I like some of their special buys.....I have bought fondue pot, coffee maker, waffle maker, toaster,Fryer ect under the crofton brand and liked them and their quality very much.

I have also bought boots, shoes, blankets, ect and once a very nice manager gave me the sale of the century on kids size sandals.....they were being reduced from $5.99 to 99 cents and I was piling them in my cart and the nice manager asked me what I was doing with them and I said I was donating them to a local shoe collecting charity and he marked them down even further to 25 cents a pair and I took all they had and donated them.

I have bought Yoga and Pilates Book/CD/DVD Packs for $1.99 when they were marked down for a class I was teaching.

I got a steal last year on Amys Products my local Aldi had mexican and Italian frozen meals for $2.99 and they didnt sell and they kept marking them down to $1.99. 99 cents and 50 cents and I bought all ten boxes of the mexican one...

OOH and I Luv their re-useable bags they are soooo durable and sooo big...love to use them everywhere...and they are usually a cream color but they had green ones for the holidays sweet....and great to carry donations and donate in.

I do sometimes have an issue with the employees at my local store they throw the food in the cart when they are ringing me out and dont seem to care....untill I gently remind them that this is food and I would like to take it home in one piece and then they stop and do it correctly.

I have a Trader Joes close to me and went once and honestly wasnt that impressed....I havent been back.

Peace

P.S.....sorry I talked your ears off....but thats just me...hehe
LOud & PRoud Veggie-Tari-Jenn~~(KNOT)~~ Vegan and NEVER Will Be.
Be Cents-able...Use Coupons!!~~PEace, LOVe & Beautiful COLORFUL RAinbows!!
Reply
LOud & PRoud Veggie-Tari-Jenn~~(KNOT)~~ Vegan and NEVER Will Be.
Be Cents-able...Use Coupons!!~~PEace, LOVe & Beautiful COLORFUL RAinbows!!
Reply
post #36 of 96
Made another stop at Aldi yesterday to take advantage of their produce sale of the week. I picked up a 3lb bag of apples for only $1.49. They also had advocados for 89 cents each, mangos for 79 cents each and mandarins for $1.79 /2lb bag. I didn't pick up any of those though. I just wanted some apples!
post #37 of 96
deleted

Edited by Beetlejuice - 6/3/12 at 11:47am
post #38 of 96

deleted


Edited by Beetlejuice - 6/3/12 at 11:47am
post #39 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

OK, count me in on the Aldi love. I stopped by on my way home from work this afternoon, and got a pound of asparagus and 9 avocados for $3.81 after tax. I don't know if they have much that I use on a regular basis, but they do seem to be the place for avocados.

Yay!! You're one of us now .
post #40 of 96
I did a quick run in to my local aldi for mamba...yumm....but not for me...hehe...sweet wish it was...LOL and vegan noodle bowls and they had both..yay!!

peace
LOud & PRoud Veggie-Tari-Jenn~~(KNOT)~~ Vegan and NEVER Will Be.
Be Cents-able...Use Coupons!!~~PEace, LOVe & Beautiful COLORFUL RAinbows!!
Reply
LOud & PRoud Veggie-Tari-Jenn~~(KNOT)~~ Vegan and NEVER Will Be.
Be Cents-able...Use Coupons!!~~PEace, LOVe & Beautiful COLORFUL RAinbows!!
Reply
post #41 of 96
Went to Aldi earlier and came home with 5 lbs of potatoes, 3 heads of broccoli, 3 green peppers, 3 kiwi, 1 lb of grapes, an eggplant, 3 lbs of rice, 2 cans of beans, a big can of quick oats, bread, cake mix and frosting, 4 cans of diced green chiles, 6 individual cups of natural applesauce, soy milk, and orange juice, all for only $38. Love it.
post #42 of 96
Ohmygosh. There's an Aldi's near me, but I've never even set foot inside. I have to convince my mom to take me there now though because you guys all make it sound like heaven.
post #43 of 96
Wow, I cant believe there's a thread about ALDI! kinda cool! I shop there alot with the family but I never actually stopped tot think about how much of their stuff is veggie/vegan friendly, I will look better next time I go.

Has anyone tried their Vegetarian chili? It was a 1.20 and sooooo good, I haven't been able to find it in months though :/ also there was a spice blend that they were selling a few weeks ago 3 spices in one canister for like 5 dollars, anyone buy it? I wanted to but I couldn't think of what to use them for.
post #44 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexi View Post

Wow, I cant believe there's a thread about ALDI! kinda cool! I shop there alot with the family but I never actually stopped tot think about how much of their stuff is veggie/vegan friendly, I will look better next time I go.

Has anyone tried their Vegetarian chili? It was a 1.20 and sooooo good, I haven't been able to find it in months though :/ also there was a spice blend that they were selling a few weeks ago 3 spices in one canister for like 5 dollars, anyone buy it? I wanted to but I couldn't think of what to use them for.

Really? I found the veggie chili to be horrible and I've heard others express the same opinion. There was something very "off" tasting about it. They did have it on Special Buy here a couple weeks ago when the featured cuisine was Mexican food. I know the spices you are referring to and they did look good. I was curious about them also but too cheap to pay $5 for them.
post #45 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Really? I found the veggie chili to be horrible and I've heard others express the same opinion. There was something very "off" tasting about it. They did have it on Special Buy here a couple weeks ago when the featured cuisine was Mexican food. I know the spices you are referring to and they did look good. I was curious about them also but too cheap to pay $5 for them.

I agree with you....my parents bought me a few cans of the veggie chili and I didnt care for it at all....it had a funky taste to it....and I returned it....glad to hear you liked it though.

peace
LOud & PRoud Veggie-Tari-Jenn~~(KNOT)~~ Vegan and NEVER Will Be.
Be Cents-able...Use Coupons!!~~PEace, LOVe & Beautiful COLORFUL RAinbows!!
Reply
LOud & PRoud Veggie-Tari-Jenn~~(KNOT)~~ Vegan and NEVER Will Be.
Be Cents-able...Use Coupons!!~~PEace, LOVe & Beautiful COLORFUL RAinbows!!
Reply
post #46 of 96
^^^Ah...what can I say I have weird taste! Lol, I dont know.
post #47 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexi View Post

^^^Ah...what can I say I have weird taste! Lol, I dont know.

LOL

I went to Aldi today w/my parents and I loved that soooo much was marked down and getting clearenced out....thats what I really like about the store.

Peace
LOud & PRoud Veggie-Tari-Jenn~~(KNOT)~~ Vegan and NEVER Will Be.
Be Cents-able...Use Coupons!!~~PEace, LOVe & Beautiful COLORFUL RAinbows!!
Reply
LOud & PRoud Veggie-Tari-Jenn~~(KNOT)~~ Vegan and NEVER Will Be.
Be Cents-able...Use Coupons!!~~PEace, LOVe & Beautiful COLORFUL RAinbows!!
Reply
post #48 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Heart Corey Haim!! View Post

LOL

I went to Aldi today w/my parents and I loved that soooo much was marked down and getting clearenced out....thats what I really like about the store.

Peace

Your store seems to have some great clearance deals. Occasionally my store will have things like breads marked down to 50 cents and special buy food and non food items marked down a little but the price is not drastically reduced.

Are your stores busy? My store is always packed. People even line up outside the doors before 9 am waiting for them to open (I've been guilty of that also). The aisles are always crammed with people and the lines are always insane. The cashiers are pretty good at getting the lines down quickly and calling for back up when needed. The only time my store has been empty was on Black Friday morning because people were too busy shopping at places like the mall and Best Buy.
post #49 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

I glanced and saw the black bean/corn salsa but now I wish I looked better to see if we have mango salsa. I didn't really need any so I didn't bother checking it out. Gotta put that on my list for next time.

I also love that you have to rent the carts, bring your own bags and package your own groceries. It prevents the littering of random shopping carts that constantly get scattered throughout other grocery stores. It gives people an incentive to stop being lazy and return their carts to their proper place. I appreciate how the company has their cashiers sitting in swivel chairs instead of being on their feet all day long. They also get paid a higher amount compared to cashiers at surrounding grocery stores (at least around here anyways).

you guys get your bags packed? wow in the UK no store packs your bags for you, all trolleys have to be rented and they begrudge giving you carrier bags you have to ask for them and a lot of places charge for bags now !
post #50 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by twixygirl View Post

you guys get your bags packed? wow in the UK no store packs your bags for you, all trolleys have to be rented and they begrudge giving you carrier bags you have to ask for them and a lot of places charge for bags now !

Aldis is the only store I know that does that! People in America get stupid-crazy when we tried to outlaw plastic bags!

BTW, I just tried the mango salsa-did not like it a bit!
Tastes like canned tomato paste with bits of mango. Not spiced much, or right in my opinion.
post #51 of 96
deleted

Edited by Beetlejuice - 6/3/12 at 11:47am
post #52 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Aldis is the only store I know that does that! People in America get stupid-crazy when we tried to outlaw plastic bags!

BTW, I just tried the mango salsa-did not like it a bit!
Tastes like canned tomato paste with bits of mango. Not spiced much, or right in my opinion.

Yep, hopefully Aldi's bagging and cart system will catch on one day.

Good to know about the mango salsa! I actually looked for it today when I was there and all they had left was the black bean. Now I'm glad it was gone! I got more great produce deals today:
2 heads of cabbage for 79 cents each
2 lb bag of carrots for 59 cents
4 pack of pears for 1.29
5lb bag of red potatoes for $1.49
4lb bag of oranges for $1.49
artisan lettuce mixture $1.19

They also brought back their almond milk but I got sidetracked and totally forgot to grab some on my way back around that part of the store.
post #53 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Your store seems to have some great clearance deals. Occasionally my store will have things like breads marked down to 50 cents and special buy food and non food items marked down a little but the price is not drastically reduced.

Are your stores busy? My store is always packed. People even line up outside the doors before 9 am waiting for them to open (I've been guilty of that also). The aisles are always crammed with people and the lines are always insane. The cashiers are pretty good at getting the lines down quickly and calling for back up when needed. The only time my store has been empty was on Black Friday morning because people were too busy shopping at places like the mall and Best Buy.

hey there,

hope your having a hippie day

depends on the time you go but mostly they are mobbed....I have two stores close to me one is in my local mall and that one is always insane....there is special parking for the store and only the aldi store so that people can run in and out when not shopping at the rest of the mall.....if you get caught shopping the rest of the mall when parked in an Aldi spot you get a ticket and you deserve it.......the other local store is always busy too.......I have to admit I havent ever waited for the store to open.....but they are always clearencing out items/special buys that dont sell well....I dont like their hummus or soy milk but a few weeks ago they had it marked down to 99 cents for the milk and 50 cents for the hummus just to quick sell it.....also when walking in my local stores there are signs on the door telling you whats marked down that day.

peace
LOud & PRoud Veggie-Tari-Jenn~~(KNOT)~~ Vegan and NEVER Will Be.
Be Cents-able...Use Coupons!!~~PEace, LOVe & Beautiful COLORFUL RAinbows!!
Reply
LOud & PRoud Veggie-Tari-Jenn~~(KNOT)~~ Vegan and NEVER Will Be.
Be Cents-able...Use Coupons!!~~PEace, LOVe & Beautiful COLORFUL RAinbows!!
Reply
post #54 of 96
The Aldi stores around here don't offer much in the way of vegan food or choice in brands. Plus I can never get the stupid cart thing to let a cart loose and I don't like packing my own stuff. I'll pay more for the convenience and choice of a regular grocery store.
post #55 of 96
How did they ever get their canned black olives to taste so ****ing weird ?
post #56 of 96
Hmmm, never had their olives.

I've been getting the LaVie sparkling lime water at $1.99 a 12 pack. Craved real soda so badly today I almost bought one from a machine. I resisted, and when I got home put a squirt of agave syrup in it- really good!
post #57 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Shell View Post

How did they ever get their canned black olives to taste so ****ing weird ?

Olives only come in weird tasting. Vile things.
post #58 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

2 heads of cabbage for 79 cents each
2 lb bag of carrots for 59 cents
4 pack of pears for 1.29
5lb bag of red potatoes for $1.49
4lb bag of oranges for $1.49
artisan lettuce mixture $1.19

I thought I'd add my little Aldi's trip & prices to compare:

Gallon whole milk~$2.79
3 lb. bag of carrots~$.39
Bag of Anjou Pears~$1.99 {There were 6 pears in the bag}
2 Avocados~.99 cents each
Grape Tomatoes~$1.49
1 Dozen large eggs~.69 cents
1 large head of celery~.49 cents
3 package of green peppers~$1.89
Container of Hummus~$1.69
Bag of whole frozen strawberries~$1.99
Large container of Granola Crunch~$3.99

Total=20.98

I don't normally make Aldi's a regular grocery stop but I think I will try to stop in there more often, if for nothing else just to see what types of fruits/veggies they have.
post #59 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by twixygirl View Post

you guys get your bags packed? wow in the UK no store packs your bags for you, all trolleys have to be rented and they begrudge giving you carrier bags you have to ask for them and a lot of places charge for bags now !

Yep in every grocery store I've ever been in except for Aldi's...we have to rent the grocery carts for .25 cents and then bag our own groceries there.
Which I don't mind doing, they have a nice looooong shelf down one wall as you get ready to leave so you can easily push your cart out of the way of other customers and take your time in bagging them the way we want.
I like using my own cloth or insulated bags anyway so it works out well for me.
post #60 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by flvegnewbie View Post

I thought I'd add my little Aldi's trip & prices to compare:

Gallon whole milk~$2.79
3 lb. bag of carrots~$.39
Bag of Anjou Pears~$1.99 {There were 6 pears in the bag}
2 Avocados~.99 cents each
Grape Tomatoes~$1.49
1 Dozen large eggs~.69 cents
1 large head of celery~.49 cents
3 package of green peppers~$1.89
Container of Hummus~$1.69
Bag of whole frozen strawberries~$1.99
Large container of Granola Crunch~$3.99

Total=20.98

I don't normally make Aldi's a regular grocery stop but I think I will try to stop in there more often, if for nothing else just to see what types of fruits/veggies they have.

Good deals all around but I am particularly envious of the price of the celery and frozen strawberries. They are a $1 more here. Their fresh strawberries have been $1.89 for three weeks now so I've been grabbing a couple containers of those on each visit and freezing some of them when I get home.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Frugal Living
VeggieBoards › Forums › Family & Lifestyle › Frugal Living › ALDI love...