or Connect
VeggieBoards › Forums › Raw Food Forum › Raw Food Support Forum › Whole (unhulled) Buckwheat - what to do?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Whole (unhulled) Buckwheat - what to do?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Hello,

I make my own bread and usually sprout some grains to add to it.
I bought whole buckwheat by mistake instead of the kernels. Anyway I thought I would sprout them for greens instead but now I have read lots of info and stories regarding the toxicity of buckwheat greens. Apparently the kernel sprouts are safe but the greens are not.

Anyway I know it is probably alright to consume small amounts but I don't want to take risks with my current health condition. So is there anything I can do with this whole buckwheat!!?

Thanks!
post #2 of 9
Dara Dubinet has a nice video on making buckwheat granola and she tells you how to soak and rinse it properly - maybe you can try making that
Link to her video: Buckwheat Granola
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clare View Post

Dara Dubinet has a nice video on making buckwheat granola and she tells you how to soak and rinse it properly - maybe you can try making that
Link to her video: Buckwheat Granola

This is a good recipe! We love it with dried cherries. It's a great way to use up the buckwheat. I also dehydrate it after soaking and rinsing, then grind it into a flower for pizza crust recipes and the like.
www.rawhighlife.com
Reply
www.rawhighlife.com
Reply
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachaelgerk View Post

This is a good recipe! We love it with dried cherries. It's a great way to use up the buckwheat. I also dehydrate it after soaking and rinsing, then grind it into a flower for pizza crust recipes and the like.

Oh, yum! That sounds good I'm saving up for a dehydrator... I've wanted one for so long, but I got another juicer, one for when I'm at my parents and one for my apartment...I don't mind waiting though, so many things to do with raw foods without dehydrating. Do you use yours often?
post #5 of 9
make some fresh soba noodles? :P no idea where to start with that one though lol, but i'll taste them for you
post #6 of 9
This raw buckwheat porridge was amazing--just soak and blend up.
http://ohsheglows.com/2011/07/11/raw...fast-porridge/
****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****
Reply
****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****
Reply
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergrrl View Post

This raw buckwheat porridge was amazing--just soak and blend up.
http://ohsheglows.com/2011/07/11/raw...fast-porridge/

Yum
post #8 of 9
I think we're talking about the UNhulled buckwheat here? Not hulled...

I wouldn't worry so much, especially if it was organic buckwheat, and would use it for greens. Make and eat in smaller quantities if you're worried.

If you garden, it can also be sowed at the end of the season or at the beginning of the next season and then dug into the soil to help break it up and fertilize it at the same time.
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachaelgerk View Post

This is a good recipe! We love it with dried cherries. It's a great way to use up the buckwheat. I also dehydrate it after soaking and rinsing, then grind it into a flower for pizza crust recipes and the like.

what do you use to grind it up?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Raw Food Support Forum
VeggieBoards › Forums › Raw Food Forum › Raw Food Support Forum › Whole (unhulled) Buckwheat - what to do?