or Connect
VeggieBoards › Forums › Recipes › General Food Discussions › Vital Wheat Gluten Substitute
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Vital Wheat Gluten Substitute

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
Is there one? I have a recipe that calls for 1/2 C VWG and i don't have any. Is there anything I can use in place of it? I have seen online that mashed beans or mashed potatoes would be possible subs. Has anyone done this? Is it cup for cup?

Thanks
post #2 of 19
Don't do it. Gluten powder is a very powerful binder and depending on what you are making is most likely a vital part of keeping it from falling apart.



Please post the recipe instead and let's see if we can alter it to fit your available ingredients.
post #3 of 19
Thread Starter 
It's the chickpea cutlet recipe from veganomicon http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Chi...Cutlets-283551





Ingredients



* 1 cup cooked chickpeas

* 2 tablespoons olive oil

* 1/2 cup vital wheat gluten

* 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs

* 1/4 cup vegetable broth or water

* 2 tablespoons soy sauce

* 2 garlic cloves (pressed or grated)

* 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest

* 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

* 1/2 teaspoon Hungarian paprika

* 1/4 teaspoon dried rubbed sage

* olive oil, for pan frying



Directions



1. Mash the chickpeas and oil together until no whole chickpeas remain.

2. Add remaining ingredients and knead for 3 minutes until strings of gluten have formed.

3. Preheat large nonstick skillet over medium heat.

4. Divide dough into four equal pieces. Flatten each piece and stretch to roughly 4x6 inches.

5. Add a thin layer of olive oil to to the pan. Place cutlets in the pan and cook on each side for 6 to 7 minutes. They are ready when lightly brown and firm to the touch.
post #4 of 19
Oh man you are going to struggle to replace the binding power of 1/2 a cup of gluten powder for that recipe. That's what is holding it all together. Other binders aren't that strong. If you omit gluten powder then the texture will not be the same either. A substitute would be quite mushy and the cutlets would not stay together well. I would strongly suggest you get some gluten powder. You can use it for many other recipes and you can order it online if your local stores don't have it.



If you feel brave, you can try and vary this chickpea cutlet recipe using the spices in your recipe in place of the Indian spices http://www.indianvegetariankitchen.c...a-cutlets.html but be careful flipping them when you cook them.
post #5 of 19
Thread Starter 
thanks mrfalafel...maybe i will just take my lazy behind to the store and buy some...lol. I guess if i want to make more home made foods it will come in handy. Thanks for the other recipe too.
post #6 of 19
I made those, and thought they were too bound.

I thought about subbing ground oatmeal, and some ground flaxseeds. Mine were kinda tough.
post #7 of 19
Thread Starter 
i made a combination of the two recipes...i didn't go by the gluten so I did use the potato...they turned out sooooo awesome!!!
post #8 of 19
What exactly did you do to replace the vital wheat gluten? I made the veganomicon chickpea cutlets once but the gluten makes me really sick, I can't eat it.
post #9 of 19
Thread Starter 
I cooked potatoes in their skins...boiled them....they were very starchy, I don't remember what kind they were.

OK Here is exactly what I did...

Mine were chickpea nuggets

Ingredients

Nuggets

1 can chickpeas (rinsed and peeled)

1 med all purpose potato (this starchier the better)

2 cloves of garlic (pressed or finely minced)

1/4 C water

1 tsp "chicken" consomme/bouillon

bread crumbs (enough to make the nuggets mold-able)

drizzle of olive oil

generous sprinkles of the following spices/herbs

thyme

sage

paprika

garlic salt

pepper

poultry seasoning

and any other spices you would like



Breading

1/2 C flour

1/2 C corn meal

1-2 tsp each

garlic salt

pepper

paprika

(add any other seasonings you like)



1/2 C milk ( I used rice milk)



Boil potato whole in skin till soft, drain and cool.

Remove chickpea skins.



Once potato is cooled remove skin and cut into smaller pieces. Put in food processor and blend till smooth. ( I did this with a little rice milk)Add chick peas and garlic and blend until a ball forms (this is a good consistency because it is starchy enough to form into nuggets)

Add olive oil, bouillon, and spices...mix well. Add water bit by bit until moist (you don't want it liquidy) then add bread crumbs. It should have a cookie dough consistency.



In a separate mixing bowl combine breading ingredients EXCEPT milk.

Put milk in another bowl.

Form bean mixture into small nuggets. Dip into milk then into breading. Coat completely.

Heat a frying pan with a some oil and lightly fry each side of the nugget until golden brown.



Enjoy with fries and various dips or sauces. Yum!
post #10 of 19
sounds awesome! I will have to try this. I read a blog once of this lady who had made mashed potatoes a perfection. She explained that when putting potatoes in a mixer they become over worked and cause "flatter, thicker" potatoes.... But she explained that it breaks down some of the molecules..but the result is that it binds better. I think that's why yours worked...I can't find that blog either! I thought I had bookmarked it. It was insanely long for mashed potatoes, and she was completely against using a mixer for mashed potatoes. But, in this instance I think it's necessary. It was something about them being overworked...anyhow, I will be trying this recipe. It sounds AWESOME!
post #11 of 19
Thanks!
post #12 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiprincess View Post

sounds awesome! I will have to try this. I read a blog once of this lady who had made mashed potatoes a perfection. She explained that when putting potatoes in a mixer they become over worked and cause "flatter, thicker" potatoes.... But she explained that it breaks down some of the molecules..but the result is that it binds better. I think that's why yours worked...I can't find that blog either! I thought I had bookmarked it. It was insanely long for mashed potatoes, and she was completely against using a mixer for mashed potatoes. But, in this instance I think it's necessary. It was something about them being overworked...anyhow, I will be trying this recipe. It sounds AWESOME!



They were very starchy when i peeled them from being boiled and putting them in the food processor was a great way to make them a binder. So that's probably right about the mashed potatoes. Now I am curious about how to make them without a mixer. If you ever find that blog please share



Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelwing View Post

Thanks!



YW
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by koshermama View Post

They were very starchy when i peeled them from being boiled and putting them in the food processor was a great way to make them a binder. So that's probably right about the mashed potatoes. Now I am curious about how to make them without a mixer. If you ever find that blog please share



I don't know how this other person did it, but IME, the best mashed potatoes are made as follows:



Steam the potatoes, then peel them.

Press in a ricer (I use a spatzle press, which is sturdier, but in the U.S., a ricer is easier to come by.)

Use a wire whisk to mix with heated rice milk, margarine, salt and freshly grated nutmeg. I also like to use Tofutti sour cream - I just use less milk.

They don't need much mixing - just enough to incorprate the other ingredients.
post #14 of 19
Thread Starter 
thanks...i think i have a ricer somewhere...i will definitely try this



Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp View Post

I don't know how this other person did it, but IME, the best mashed potatoes are made as follows:



Steam the potatoes, then peel them.

Press in a ricer (I use a spatzle press, which is sturdier, but in the U.S., a ricer is easier to come by.)

Use a wire whisk to mix with heated rice milk, margarine, salt and freshly grated nutmeg. I also like to use Tofutti sour cream - I just use less milk.

They don't need much mixing - just enough to incorprate the other ingredients.
post #15 of 19
The cutlets sound awesome! Did they hold together well?
post #16 of 19
The cutlets sound awesome! Did they hold together well?
post #17 of 19
Thread Starter 
yes, I made them from the recipe I posted though not the original veganomicon recipe. Also, I made them as nuggets and not cutlets.
post #18 of 19
I will be trying these soon, I think hubby might even try them! Thanks!
post #19 of 19

In the south we just cut our potatoes in 4 or 6 (the smaller you cut them, the faster they boil) and boil them with the skin on. The skin gives them more fiber. Drain the potatoes, then put them back in the pan with milk and butter (milk and butter alternatives for vegan) and then get in there with a potato masher (I don't actually know what the real name of it is--https://www.google.com/search?q=potato+masher&hl=en&tbo=d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=JE4MUcjiE6Sj2QWZ0YGYCQ&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAA&biw=1193&bih=625) keep adding milk and butter and a little elbo grease until you get the desired consistency. the amount of milk and butter is entirely up to you. 

 

Simply put:

 

1. Boil potatoes

2. drain

3. add butter and milk

4. mash

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Food Discussions
VeggieBoards › Forums › Recipes › General Food Discussions › Vital Wheat Gluten Substitute