Recipe: Organic vegan sugar cookies - drop style.
Suitable for: Vegans and everyone else
These are a bit chewy and not overly sweet - I'm new to vegan baking so I'm working out the kinks as I go, but overall, these were a big hit at my house. The only downside to these cookies is that they're not too travel-friendly, like most cookies. They seem a bit more fragile, but if packed up carefully could be used for a vegan bake sale or given as a gift.
Ingredients for drop style vegan sugar cookies
- 1/2 cup vegan butter - I used organic Earth Balance in the tub, because that's what I had, but I'm thinking Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks would work well for these.
- 3/4 cup white organic sugar
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon pure extract - your choice. I tried vanilla and almond - both were good. I also tried lemon (see tip below for lemon)
- 3 level tablespoons vegan sour cream. I read that you can use cream cheese too, but didn't try this.
- A dash of salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 and 1/4 cups organic flour. I used whole wheat organic pastry flour.
To make drop sugar cookies
- Blend the butter, sugar, extract and sour cream with a hand mixer or spoon until nice and fluffy and creamy as shown above.
- Mix in the dry ingredients until combined but don't mix to death like a crazy person. See how above it's mixed, but still creamy looking - that's what your dough should look like.
- Using a spoon, scoop dough onto a pan. I lined mine with unbleached parchment paper. You can make large or small cookies - your choice, but it'll change the baking time.
- Sprinkle dough with pretty sparkling sugar if you like. India Tree has some natural sugar sprinkles and Let's Do Sprinkelz are vegan too.
Bake at 350˚F for about 8 minutes if you made little cookies - like me (mine were about 1 tablespoons worth of dough). If you make larger cookies, bake a bit longer, but watch these carefully!
NOTE: Do not over bake. I messed up and over baked one batch and it was not cool. These harden quickly. Too long in the oven and they won't be soft and chewy, they'll be tough. As soon as these start to set and turn the slightest brown, they should be out of the oven.
Cool on a cooling rack then eat.
Lemon sugar cookie option
Use lemon extract as your flavoring and also mix about a tablespoon of grated organic lemon peel into your dough. You can also use lime or orange too instead if you want different citrus cookies.