VeggieBoards banner

Paper on meat subsides in America.

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  soilman 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone

I`m in the process of researching a term paper for my American Politics class in college and I`m hoping someone can help. My topic is the politics of the meat industry in America. I need to find sources for my paper. Specifically I want to look at how much the government subsidizes the meat industry and their reasons for doing so. I need "academic" sources, so official government documents would be helpful as opposed to editorials. Editorials are helpful as a starting point if you do find some however. Thank you in advance

See less See more
#2 ·
#5 ·
Marion Nestle's book Food Politics is heavily referenced. Pull the articles, go through their references, pull the articles they reference, and so on. That's one possible starting point.

#6 ·
'Lo Devyn

Can't help you with sources but, if it interests you, you may like to consider building this theory in:

Figures suggest that (due to the massive amounts of land needed to grow food/pasture/house/process/store livestock) an omni society needs around ten times more land to sustain itself than a vegetarian society would.

Basicaly a vegetarian society needs 90% less land than an omni society.

From memory the touted figure is that 30% of the entire land surface is used for agriculture. Allowing for deserts, mountainsand other unusable land areas that 30% may be 50% or more, of all the total useable land surface on the planet.

By those figures meat makes land scarce and whatever is scarce soars in value. Not just agricultural land but ALL land. Housing, commercial the whole shebang and caboodle

That is massive reason for the land owning classes to do whatever is necesary to make meat affordable by subsidies.

Wouldn't be so if it wwere not the fact that the dimwits who eat meat are the ones actualy paying (through taxes) for the subsidies anyway.

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless Git View Post

'Lo Devyn

Can't help you with sources but, if it interests you, you may like to consider building this theory in:

Figures suggest that (due to the massive amounts of land needed to grow food/pasture/house/process/store livestock) an omni society needs around ten times more land to sustain itself than a vegetarian society would.

Basicaly a vegetarian society needs 90% less land than an omni society.

From memory the touted figure is that 30% of the entire land surface is used for agriculture. Allowing for deserts, mountainsand other unusable land areas that 30% may be 50% or more, of all the total useable land surface on the planet.

By those figures meat makes land scarce and whatever is scarce soars in value. Not just agricultural land but ALL land. Housing, commercial the whole shebang and caboodle

That is massive reason for the land owning classes to do whatever is necesary to make meat affordable by subsidies.

Wouldn't be so if it wwere not the fact that the dimwits who eat meat are the ones actualy paying (through taxes) for the subsidies anyway.
I like this... very knowledgeable advice...

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.