|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|09-27-2017 01:38 PM|
|Jamie in Chile||OK, hope you are able to work it out.|
|09-27-2017 10:24 AM|
She is not here, she is on vacation. Again, I would like to give her ample notice and I'm not trying to be inconsiderate. She is kind of a volatile person and tends to take things like this personal when they aren't.
I have told her that my partner had proposed the idea to live together, and she seemed really shocked and thought he was moving too fast. But I see what you're saying, if I frame it that way it could be easier on her. I just want to be completely honest since my mind is made up, I was just skeptical whether now would be too soon. Thank you for your responses!
|09-23-2017 05:19 PM|
|Jamie in Chile||One possibility is to tell her that you are consdering living with your partner one day, but it isn't definite, just a possibility. See how she reacts to that and later tell her (a different day) when she's had time to absorb that that it could be next year but you'll decide in a few months.|
|09-23-2017 02:32 AM|
Is your roommate there?
If so, just go up to them and spill it. Like now.
Things don't get easier with time, and it really is a trivial matter in the grand scheme of things. You're also doing them a favor since they need time to procure housing after the lease is up, and will likely need to find another roommate. Telling them any time other than as far in advance as possible is pretty inconsiderate.
|09-22-2017 05:15 PM|
When is it appropriate to tell your roommate that you do not want to renew lease?
For some background, my roommate and I have been very good friends for years. We have lived together for three years. She fully expects to live together for a long time to come.
My SO and I would like to live together next year, the issue is that I don't know when to tell my roommate because I don't think she will handle it well. I have tried dropping hints that my SO and I were going to move in together, but it hasn't worked. I know most people suggest about 2-3 months notice but our landlords usually ask that we let them know by January if we are renewing, even though our lease is not up until June. Another good friend of mine who knows, thinks I should tell her ASAP, especially since she has been talking more and more about apartment hunting for next year. I would like to give her ample notice but I also don't want to cause tension for the next eight months. Any suggestions?