VeggieBoards - Reply to Topic

Thread: The Longest Lived People Reply to Thread
Title:
Message:
Trackback:
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
09-22-2017 11:19 AM
silva I supplement with algae DHA- the irony here is I never ate fish to begin with. I'm sure I'm getting way more DHA than ever, along with being more careful to watch my omega balance!

and iron- used to be low as omni, turning vegan and more concerned my levels went up!

Only goes to show, it's being informed and caring about nutrition that improves your diet
09-22-2017 10:06 AM
nitratedtofu I get what OP is trying to say, I think maybe they want to stick around because they think they're doing "more good" than vegetarians when it comes to body count.

I have to agree that if the majority of people ate like OP, the world would be a much better place. I can also tell you from experience that I never saw myself giving up fish when I was first looking into how I ate, but eventually you just get over it.

If you have specific concerns about what you'd be missing nutritionally by not eating fish, I'd be happy to help.
09-22-2017 07:39 AM
silva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
"as a vegetarian"??? If you are eating fish, you are a pescatarian, not a vegetarian.
They're saying-
Quote:
But I am still reducing animal suffering as much as a vegetarian. At least I am saving chicken, pigs, and cows everyday.
They're adding limited fish to otherwise fully plant sourced diet. I agree that that is as much as an ovo/lacto vegetarian.
09-22-2017 06:34 AM
Dustie
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealisticOptimist View Post
I think so...I don't think I'm going to be able to stick to a plant-based diet if I am unable to eat fish at least once or twice a month. But I am still reducing animal suffering as much as a vegetarian. At least I am saving chicken, pigs, and cows everyday.

"as a vegetarian"??? If you are eating fish, you are a pescatarian, not a vegetarian.
09-20-2017 06:20 PM
silva
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealisticOptimist View Post
I think so...I don't think I'm going to be able to stick to a plant-based diet if I am unable to eat fish at least once or twice a month. But I am still reducing animal suffering as much as a vegetarian. At least I am saving chicken, pigs, and cows everyday.
I can't help but think you're overthinking the "most" healthy diet.
I hope you continue to experiment with a plant based diet and try not to be so obsessed.

Good luck
09-20-2017 06:00 PM
David3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealisticOptimist View Post
I think so...I don't think I'm going to be able to stick to a plant-based diet if I am unable to eat fish at least once or twice a month. But I am still reducing animal suffering as much as a vegetarian. At least I am saving chicken, pigs, and cows everyday.

Hi RealisticOptimist,

I assure you that it's entirely possible to stick to a plant-based diet that includes no animal flesh at all. I've been doing it for 26 years, and other folks here have been doing it even longer!

.
09-20-2017 09:32 AM
RealisticOptimist I think so...I don't think I'm going to be able to stick to a plant-based diet if I am unable to eat fish at least once or twice a month. But I am still reducing animal suffering as much as a vegetarian. At least I am saving chicken, pigs, and cows everyday.
09-19-2017 06:32 PM
David3 Hi RealisticOptimist,


Your discussions points might be better suited to one of the various flexitarian or pescetarian discussion websites.


.
09-19-2017 04:01 PM
silva
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealisticOptimist View Post
Ovo lacto vegetarian? That never made sense to me. Don't ovo lacto vegetarians eat eggs and dairy? Don't they kill male chicks because they are not needed and supporting the industry that sell eggs results to more male chicks being slowly suffocated/grinded alive and killed? Also, dairy? I heard the dairy industry is one of the scariest, female cows are forcibly impregnated every year, their calves stolen from them each time, exploited until their bodies finally give out and they are sent to the slaughterhouse for beef. I really don't see the compassion in supporting the dairy industry either. What is the ethical difference between ovo lacto vegetarians and those who eat meat moderately? Both support animal cruelty.
Yep.
We don't allow meat eaters. Still eating fish?
09-19-2017 03:50 PM
leedsveg
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealisticOptimist View Post
Ovo lacto vegetarian? That never made sense to me. Don't ovo lacto vegetarians eat eggs and dairy? Don't they kill male chicks because they are not needed and supporting the industry that sell eggs results to more male chicks being slowly suffocated/grinded alive and killed? Also, dairy? I heard the dairy industry is one of the scariest, female cows are forcibly impregnated every year, their calves stolen from them each time, exploited until their bodies finally give out and they are sent to the slaughterhouse for beef. I really don't see the compassion in supporting the dairy industry either. What is the ethical difference between ovo lacto vegetarians and those who eat meat moderately? Both support animal cruelty.
Sometimes people take a while to get to where they want to be with their diet. I find it can often be more beneficial to look at the moral inconsistancies/cruelties in our own diet rather than criticising the diet(s) of others.

Lv
09-19-2017 10:44 AM
RealisticOptimist
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Healthy, unthealthy, whatever. We don't do flesh.
If you aren't going to remain veg, either ovo lacto vegetarian. or vegan, you'll need to leave this forum
Ovo lacto vegetarian? That never made sense to me. Don't ovo lacto vegetarians eat eggs and dairy? Don't they kill male chicks because they are not needed and supporting the industry that sell eggs results to more male chicks being slowly suffocated/grinded alive and killed? Also, dairy? I heard the dairy industry is one of the scariest, female cows are forcibly impregnated every year, their calves stolen from them each time, exploited until their bodies finally give out and they are sent to the slaughterhouse for beef. I really don't see the compassion in supporting the dairy industry either. What is the ethical difference between ovo lacto vegetarians and those who eat meat moderately? Both support animal cruelty.
09-18-2017 10:08 AM
silva Veggieboards is not here to debate diets, nor are we here to convert anyone. VB is for those who wish to develop a veg'n diet and lifestyles that go along with their choices.
No one is going to debate whether some flesh is going to make a health difference (although the research in the links will if you bother to read), because this is forum about veg'n diets. Healthy, unthealthy, whatever. We don't do flesh.
If you aren't going to remain veg, either ovo lacto vegetarian. or vegan, you'll need to leave this forum
09-18-2017 09:42 AM
Jamie in Chile Small amount of animal food/fish may be just as healthy as vegan diet - strict vegans do that for ethical reasons - and rightly so.
09-18-2017 07:49 AM
RealisticOptimist
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Looking back at your posts, you really seem to be trying to put a good spin on meat eating!
There hasn't been a long term culture of vegans to be studied. What we do know, and what is fast gaining in popularity, are the benefits of a whole food plant based diet, you'll often see as WFPD.
Heard of Dr Caldwell Esselstyn? Dr Joel Furhman? Dr. McDougall? Dr Neal Barnard? Dr Michael Greger?....

You can easily find studies refuting the vegan diet---meat and dairy make money, particularly for the medical and pharmaceutical industry.

People have literally reversed their heart disease, their type 2 diabetes, even beat cancers following to the letter WFPB diets.
I highly doubt that the book that I read by Dan Buettner is connected to the meat & dairy industry. In fact, the last pages of the book he had included recipes and most of these recipes include lots of beans and vegetables. Some of the recipes do include animal products but very little, most are in favor of plant-based ingredients. You say people have literally reversed their heart disease, type 2 diabetes, or cancer, but how often were these people eating meat? Were they eating it in every meal? Do you think if these people reduced their meat consumption to once or twice a week only(each serving not going over 2 oz.) instead of eating meat everyday and they increase their beans and vegetable consumption, wouldn't that also have reversed their diseases without going fully vegan? I just don't see a good argument of veganism in regards to health because people can still be healthy eating meat as long as they don't overdo it.
09-17-2017 06:09 PM
silva Looking back at your posts, you really seem to be trying to put a good spin on meat eating!
There hasn't been a long term culture of vegans to be studied. What we do know, and what is fast gaining in popularity, are the benefits of a whole food plant based diet, you'll often see as WFPD.
Heard of Dr Caldwell Esselstyn? Dr Joel Furhman? Dr. McDougall? Dr Neal Barnard? Dr Michael Greger?....

You can easily find studies refuting the vegan diet---meat and dairy make money, particularly for the medical and pharmaceutical industry.

People have literally reversed their heart disease, their type 2 diabetes, even beat cancers following to the letter WFPB diets. Athletes are quickly adapting them to improve performance, endurance, and health.

What we don't have enough of is research of plant based from birth- that will be the real finding!

http://www.pcrm.org/health/diets/ffl/classes
https://foodrevolution.org/
https://nutritionfacts.org/
http://www.kphealthyme.com/Healthy-E...ant-based-Diet
http://www.clevelandclinicwellness.c...oods-Diet.aspx
http://www.dresselstyn.com/site/
09-17-2017 05:36 PM
RealisticOptimist
The Longest Lived People

So I just finished reading The Blue Zones by Dan Buettner. The people who were in the Blue Zones lived not only long but also had a great quality life. Looks like the longest living people were NOT vegans, but those who consume little meat(eating meat about once or twice a week). Even the seventh day adventists vegetarians who ate some dairy and eggs lived longer than seventh day adventists vegans. The people from the Blue Zones area do eat vegetables, beans, and whole grains everyday but they also include animal products in their diet once in a while such as eggs, dairy, pork or fish. Now I care about animals, but to be honest, I rather eat a meal that is best for me but at the same time still reducing harm as much as possible. Currently, I am only eating fish twice a month. I am just curious about vegans, are you all doing this because of ethics? It couldn't be for health because according to research, the healthiest people who lived a life filled with vigor up to the end, were the ones who were consuming a little bit of animal products.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off