Viewing Review: Amazing Recipes - VeggieBoards

Amazing Recipes Edit
by sarahs Combined Rating: 4.0

I'm new to veganism and this was my first vegan cookbook. I think I still have an image in the back of my mind that vegan food is rabbit food or hippy food. While I've tried other recipes and...
Pros Cons
  • Great simple recipes, good review of The China Study and why WFPBD is important
  • Recipes are not written beautifully, the authors are not shy about using sugar, bad photos

I'm new to veganism and this was my first vegan cookbook. I think I still have an image in the back of my mind that vegan food is rabbit food or hippy food. While I've tried other recipes and enjoyed them, the few I've tried from this book not only blew my mind but completely erased any lingering thoughts I had about a plant based diet being boring and unsatisfying. The Sweet Potato Enchiladas was the best dish I ever made in my life- vegan or not. The Polenta Bake was maybe the second. I was really surprised at how good these dishes were- especially considering that the book was not compiled by a professional chef. I also like the fact that none of the recipes use oil.

I loved how simple and easy to make a the recipes are with minimal ingredients and processing- and therein lies the problem. The directions are so overly simplified and generic you have to be a seasoned cook to interpret them. I had to add a lot of my own details and specifics like how high should heat be kept when sauteeing onions and what is the difference between cubed and diced? Measurements are vague, inconsistent or non-existent.

There is also a lot of sugar throughout the book in the form of agave nectar, Sucanot and maple syrup. To me these are all different forms of the same thing- fructose. I am not sold on the fact that if you call it by a more botanical name it is somehow better or different than some other sugars.

The photos are so bad they are almost funny. They obviously didn't hire a "food stylist" to pretty things up but instead resorted to extreme close ups that only show one or two beans and a chunk of carrot.

If you can get past all that the food is great and the book is well worth the money- IF you already know how to cook!

Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Value:
Performance: