Viewing Review: Very nice all purpose light hiking shoe - VeggieBoards

Very nice all purpose light hiking shoe Edit
by Naturebound Combined Rating: 4.0

I bought this shoe over a year ago.  I needed a light hiking shoe with hard soles for riding my mountain bike around town and short jaunts in the woods and this shoe fits the bill.  It is stylish...
Pros Cons
  • hard sole with good grip; roomy; well put together sturdy materials
  • not water proof

I bought this shoe over a year ago.  I needed a light hiking shoe with hard soles for riding my mountain bike around town and short jaunts in the woods and this shoe fits the bill.  It is stylish enough to wear with a casual work outfit but also works for short distance hikes or traveling around town.  I love the soles on this shoe.  They have a nice grip and good traction.  The materials are very well sewn together and one year later of continuous use these shoes are still like new with the exception of a few stains.  They are not the most soft and comfortable for longer distance hikes but they work for four or five milers or less or for the casual walker.  I have wide feet with very high arches and these shoes accommodate my needs very well.  I did add insoles for extra cushioning as I need the extra support with high arch feet, and with this I find these shoes very comfortable.  I wear them almost everyday.  They are not waterproof but they are quite warm and breathable.  I would recommend them for sure!

Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
Naturebound 11-21-2013, 05:12 PM

Wow, thank you so much for sharing that link!  How did I miss those!?  I really like the style of those shoes (looked at the women's too).  Definitely going to bookmark that company for future reference.

James DeAlto 11-21-2013, 03:52 PM

Hi Naturebound,  I actually owned the Alton 2.0.  Thanks for your advice.  I've since found some shoes by FiveTen that I love. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005OTYB7U/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Naturebound 11-21-2013, 03:42 PM

James, I am sorry you had such a bad experience.  That has not been my experience at all.  I still have the shoes I ordered from Wicked Hemp several years ago (and that I reviewed) and they are still in excellent shape even after lots of hiking, rain, snow, etc.  Maybe the company has gone downhill since then?  Which type of shoe did you order out of curiosity?  I did not have to deal with customer service for anything so I can't speak for that experience.  What a bummer that you had such an awful experience though.  I hope you find something better.  I too buy only vegan shoes so I know it can be a challenge especially when trying to find hiking ones.  I have Kiowa Vegan GTX Hiking shoes from Garmont and I love those too (probably a better quality of shoe than Wicked Hemp but more expensive).  Unfortunately Garmont is no longer making them.  Other vegan hiking shoes and boots seem to be way out of my price range.  Ugh.

James DeAlto 11-21-2013, 03:26 PM

DO NO BUY THESE SHOES!  I buy only vegan shoes, so, for me, choices are limited.  I was excited to give these a try based on positive reviews I read.  Sadly, they fell apart after only two months of wear.  The sole started to fall off and I had to throw them out.  In addition, they have a horrible smell that I've never had with any other pair of shoes I've owned.  I washed them several times, but they stunk like cat urine.  I tried to get a refund from the manufacturer (I bought them directly from Wicked Hemp), but they would only offer me a 35% discount on another pair.  I had to try contacting them four times before they ever returned my phone call.  All in all, this company makes cheap shoes and their customer service stinks more than their shoes do.  

Ratings
Overall:
Value:
Performance: