Viewing Review: Don't think I'll get this again. - VeggieBoards

Don't think I'll get this again. Edit
by Puppet Master Combined Rating: 2.0
So I saw seeds for this variety of pumpkin and figured I'd try it. I was quite excited when I received my package. To my surprise the seed was very large - over two feet in length - but I figured...
Pros Cons
  • lovely color and patterns, easy to take care of
  • price, hard to cut, how do you cook them?!?!, smell really bad when cooking
So I saw seeds for this variety of pumpkin and figured I'd try it. I was quite excited when I received my package. To my surprise the seed was very large - over two feet in length - but I figured it would make for some great tasting pumpkins, so I planted it right away. What I found to be weird is that they don't grow on vines like regular pumpkins, but are more like potatoes - you have dig them up from the ground. I didn't know this, so I think I ended up letting mine grow much longer than it probably needed, and I paid the price for that with a tough rind/shell.

So when I got my first pumpkin, I cleaned it off and let it sit on the table while I gathered all the ingredients I was going to use with it. I was looking forward to some pumpkin for a couple months so I was amped. I cut my pumpkin in half, and saw that it's guts were unlike any pumpkin guts I've ever seen. There was a weird string-like thing in there with a knob at each end. One end had two other things sticking out of it and the other end seemed to be the "heart" of the whole thing. It was circular and kinda looked like a tiny lightbulb in shape. I didn't know what was up with that so I just threw it way and went back to prepping the pumpkin.

Now, my issue with them is a. they're quite hard to cut open and b. when I put them in the oven to cook, they reeked! The house filled up with a smell quite simliar to burning plastic. Not only that, but when they were done cooking, they turned into a gooey mess. It was a total disaster. I took them out of the oven and set them on the stove to cool, and when I check on them again, they were extremely hard. I don't know what kind of mutant plant this is, but I recommend against cooking these. They're fine raw I guess but they're pretty tough to chew. You can grate them which seems to be the best way to eat them. It was definitely not worth the $30 just for one seed though, especially since it caused nothing but trouble.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
disney.jessica 05-26-2012, 07:55 PM

They were probably out of season.

Beetlejuice 05-26-2012, 10:51 AM

I will definitely avoid this pumpkin, thanks for the informative review!

SomebodyElse 05-25-2012, 10:48 PM

What temp did you cook them at? It's better to cut them into small chunks first and microwave for five minutes. :P

River 05-25-2012, 10:23 PM

LMAO

Ratings
Overall:
Value:
Performance: