VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maine

9K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  Michael 
#1 ·
The place to dicuss local topics and to meet others in your area.

#2 ·
#6 ·
Oatmeal, you're too funny!

If I don't move to Maine, I'm at least going to buy some land there. Not only is it incredibly beautiful up there, but the cultural scene in and around Portland is picking up. I go up to visit at least four or five times a year, and I can always find something to eat. Which always makes or breaks a place for me.

#9 ·
This is such a happening thread!

I just moved to Maine about two months ago, and was shocked that there were not more vegetarians here. There is very much a laid back culture here, and I guess I just expected that to include vegetarianism.

Anyone else out there, lurking on this thread?

#12 ·
I'm in Newcastle (if you're not familiar with it - draw a triangle on a map with damariscotta, boothbay and wiscasset - I'd be near the middle of the triangle - lol).

Just starting out with vegetarianism - have been eating a LOT more organic lately (thanks to Wild Oats in Portland - my fav. store!), so it won't be TOO hard of a transition for me! lol

What part of Maine are you from?

#14 ·
Wow...just down the road from eachother!!

I just your homepage (the journal) - are you a teacher at the Wiscasset schools? My mother's best friend has an autistic son that goes there! He's a great kid!!

How's your cat doing? What vet do you use? (lots of questions - lol)

#15 ·
I actually teach at a specialized center in Bath just for kids with Autism. I love it there, the people are so great.

My cat is fantastic, she is sleeping under my desk lamp right now, watching my every move! I use Coastal Vet care up on Rt. 27. I've been in there with Elenor twice now, and they are really great. I got their name from the Licoln County Animal Shelter when I adopted her. Plus, you don't need an appointment during normal business hours, just walk in. That's really great for me!

If you are really intested in natural foods, there is a shop in Bath that has a reasonably good selection of different foods. I've also discovered that the Shaw's in Wiscasset is surprisingly forward thinking with a fair selection of organic fruits and veggies, and a good sized organic grocery section. Probably not as great a place as you'll find in Portland, but it's a shorter drive

#16 ·
I'm glad to hear the kitty is doing good! I take my guys to Coastal Vet too. They are SO great. I DO NOT like Dr. Pollick (however you spell his name) - try not to see him when you go. He lifted my very overweight cat out of a carrier by the skin on his back - which made Littlefoot hiss (of course!) and the dr dropped him on the table. I was pissed off! But Dr. Walstrom is fantastic as is dr. Mugnai. Dr. Mugnai is my fav for my dog - Sam - she is so gentle with him and she seems to know cockers really well. Sam did see dr. walstrom several times (he pee'd on him on his first puppy checkup - I was so embarrassed - but Dr. Walstrom and the staff said sam "christened him". They were so great!).

I also like that if you can't afford treatment that they are happy to take post dated checks. I've had nothing but good luck with them (well, except with dr. pollick that one time).

Where in Bath is that store? I didn't realize there was one in Bath!

Have you been to Wild Oats in Portland? It is fantastic - it's about the same size as Shaws in Wiscasset - it's HUGE! Has great sales all the time too! I do like Shaws (except I don't like that Yellowfront is closing because of them!). I happen to be in Portland all the time to pick up photo supplies (I'm a photographer) so I can conveniently shop at Wild Oats (though I have been known to take a special trip there! lol)

#17 ·
The place in Bath is called the Bath Natural Market and it's on Centre street, a block up from Washington street.

Yikes about the vet. We saw Dr. Wahlstrom the first time we went in, and we just saw Dr. Cree. Dr. Cree was great, really knowledgable, and really nice. I do like that about the post-dated checks. I'm sure that will come in handy at some point! I really do like everyone in there that I've encountered, everyone is so sweet.

I don't know Portland at all, I only moved to Maine from Western New York about two months ago, and I've only been into Portland one time. Unfortunately, I was quite broke at the time, so I was all about getting my business done when I was there and getting home! The place in Bath is tiny, but it might save you a "special trip". But wow, the size of Shaws? I'm in love
You'll have to PM me with some directions, I'd love to stop in there sometime. I think I just found what I'm going to do next weekend!

#20 ·
http://www.expertclick.com/NewsRelea...etail&ID=16139

: UPC President Karen Davis Will Speak at Maine Animal Coalition Food Festival

Machipongo, VA 23405 April 11 2007

United Poultry Concerns

April 11, 2007

For Immediate Release

www.maineanimalcoalition.org

UPC President Karen Davis Will Speak at Maine Animal Coalition Food Festival

The Salt Gallery, 110 Exchange Street, Portland, April 21, 11AM-4 PM

The Maine Animal Coalitions Annual Food Festival, Saturday, April 21, 2007, features

#25 ·
I'm a mainer... sort of. I've grown up there my whole life and moved to Connecticut this august to be a nanny. I'm staying in Connecticut until next fall, then I'll be in Europe for a year, and then back to good old Maine again! I miss Maine like crazy, but I needed to get out into the world a bit, ya know? But I'm pretty sure I'll end up settling down in Maine, because it's really home, you know? (Is getting homesick now.)

#26 ·
I'm a Main-er. Living at the very top of the state, in Eagle Lake.

Just started this new way of eating. It's a challenge where I live because stores are limited. But I am managing. I have lost 10 1/4 pounds in two weeks! And I am not finding this hard at all. Finding out what is in the food I have been eating did the trick for me. Can't stand to look at meat now, especially when it's raw. Makes me sick, almost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.