Hawaii Question ^^~ - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-27-2009, 01:08 PM
Beginner

Hello VBers of Hawaii. I'm Cathleya -bows- and I'll be moving to Hawaii (Oahu) with my lovely fiance next year or later. I was just wondering about any vegan friendly places around the island. Such as restaurants or places to shop (clothing, food, etc.) ~ Thank you bunches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-27-2009, 02:10 PM
Beginner

What part of the island are you planning on living?

Most restaurants are very capable of taking care of vegetarians, and even vegans. Because Thai and Japanese cuisine is EVERYWHERE, it's pretty easy to get by. Also, there's an all-vegetarian Grocery Store in Honolulu called Down to Earth. They have three locations on Oahu, I think. Their flagship store is near UHH Manoa, just outside of Waikiki.

The challenge with local cuisine is that it's VERY meat-centric. Hawaiians love their meat! Avoid local plate lunch places. Avoid local Drive-ins unless you know for a fact they have something you can eat (besides rice).

Check out the Happy Cow listings for Honolulu, you'll find a lot of places that will work for you. Because the general population here is somewhat healthy, and somewhat spiritual, vegetarianism is fairly common, and most places are willing to accommodate us.

Aloha!

Nec Aspera Terrent
#3 Old 11-27-2009, 02:20 PM
Beginner

Thank you for the reply! Ah, my fiance was telling me about Down to Earth. Thank goodness for the Thai and Japanese cuisine! I will definitely check the Happy Cow listings.

And we're planning on living in Pearl City.
#4 Old 11-27-2009, 02:27 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathleya View Post

Thank you for the reply! Ah, my fiance was telling me about Down to Earth. Thank goodness for the Thai and Japanese cuisine! I will definitely check the Happy Cow listings.

And we're planning on living in Pearl City.

I'm pretty sure Down to Earth has a location in PC. PC is largely strip malls, industry, suburbia and highways. Get out of town as much as possible, or you'll forget you're in Hawaii...

Nec Aspera Terrent
#5 Old 11-27-2009, 02:46 PM
Beginner

Bahaha, will do! Thank you very very much for the information.
#6 Old 06-14-2011, 08:18 PM
Beginner

Hello, I heard you and your fiance broke up. Best thing that could ever happen to you. Well, second best. He was anything but lovely and that meat eating barbarian would've never made you happy or supported you anywhere near as good as the thousands of people that are more qualified to be with you. I also heard that you've become a vegetarian with me again and that's wonderful! I'm looking forward to trying all kinds of new vegetarian/vegan meals with you and establishing our own personal cookbook. I love you, muah! <3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page