Where to buy Seitan? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-06-2008, 09:26 AM

I've never tried Seitan but I've been wanting to either make some myself or buy some already packaged (I'm assuming you can?). I have loads of recipes that call for it and I'm desperate to try them out!

I've looked in Holland and Barretts as well as a local health food shop in Kingston but haven't had any luck. Does anyone here buy it from anywhere in particular? I'd be okay buying it online as long as postage isn't too bad, but would prefer to get it from a shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-06-2008, 10:22 AM
Banned

I've seen pre-made seitan in a few independent health food stores here and there. Its expensive and never as nice as the seitan you can make at home.

What was very difficult to find in the UK was gluten powder, which makes seitan making a breeze. You can buy it in the UK here: http://www.flourbin.com/shop/
#3 Old 07-07-2008, 04:17 AM

I ordered some from veganstore.co.uk along with a few other things, and they arrived within a couple of days. It isn't ready-made though.
#4 Old 07-07-2008, 04:43 AM

Cheers for the suggestions. I'll look in to ordering it online
#5 Old 07-09-2008, 02:38 AM

I tried it the other night, when it was put on the plate I actually thought I'd been given some meat! It looks very much like a piece of meat to me. The texture resembles meat as well, although not as tough. Still, the best meat substitute i've tried to date. My friends girlfriend comes from Italy and you can buy it in various forms over there, burgers, sausages, 'steaks'. Also in italy you can buy jars of bolognaise sauce with vegemince in, very convenient!
#6 Old 07-09-2008, 09:24 AM

There is some stuff that Redwood makes, that most H&B's seem to carry, called something like "chicken style pieces". It's not called seitan, but that's what it is.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#7 Old 07-09-2008, 10:15 AM

Ooh wow. Then I've had seitan! I know I'm going to like it now
#8 Old 07-09-2008, 10:24 AM

I've heard that asian stores often carry fresh and canned seitan. Never looked myself.

http://www.ourveggiekitchen.com
#9 Old 07-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamry View Post

Ooh wow. Then I've had seitan! I know I'm going to like it now

Redwood foods are masters at seitan making. Sadly, other companies are less successful
#10 Old 07-09-2008, 10:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyapti View Post

I've heard that asian stores often carry fresh and canned seitan. Never looked myself.

I've never seen fresh seitan in a Chinese food store but you are right, most will have cans of gluten in the form of mock duck, mock abolone sometimes referred to as mun chai'ya. Some of these are an acquired taste.
#11 Old 07-09-2008, 10:37 AM

Eww. We tried some "seitan in a jar" from one of our local hfs. I would eschew the phrase "acquired taste" and go with something more like "freak nasty". Blech.

MrF, do you have a particular recipe you use when making seitan? I've tried and failed (more than once) to make some.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#12 Old 07-10-2008, 06:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Eww. We tried some "seitan in a jar" from one of our local hfs. I would eschew the phrase "acquired taste" and go with something more like "freak nasty". Blech.

MrF, do you have a particular recipe you use when making seitan? I've tried and failed (more than once) to make some.

I used to make it from scratch using strong flour bought at the supermarket. Man that was a pain! And the results were not very good. Now I buy gluten powder from the flour-bin link above and use Bryanna Clark Grogan's 'beefy' recipe. It only takes about 15 minutes to mix everything together then an hour to simmer. Never fails.

Beefy Seitan Cutlets

Gluten mixture

Dry ingredients:

2 cups pure gluten powder (vital wheat gluten)

2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes

1 tsp onion powder (optional)

1/2 tsp garlic granules (optional)

Freshly ground black pepper to taste

Liquid ingredients

1 cup cold water

1/2 cup hot water mixed with 2 tsp Marmite or other yeast extract

2 tbsp ketchup

2 tbsp soy sauce

2 tsp kitchen bouquet or other gravy browner (optional)

Cooking broth:

4 cups water

1/4 cup ketchup

1/4 cup soy sauce

4 tsp marmite

4 tsp gravy browner (optional)

Place the cooking broth ingredients into a large saucepan and bring to a simmer (just below boiling).

To make the gluten mix, mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the liquid ingredients. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well until it forms a ball.

To make cutlets, divide the gluten mixture into 12 pieces and flatten them with your hands and / or a rolling pin as thinly as you can (they will expand).

Place the gluten pieces in the cooking broth to simmer on the stove top for an hour. DO NOT LET IT BOIL as that can ruin the texture.

When cooked, allow to cool before using just like beef (coat with flour and fry, chop up and use like stew chunks, or cut into strips for stir fries).

Store any unused seitan in the cooking broth in the fridge.
#13 Old 07-10-2008, 06:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

Me, too. I read somewhere that you need to let it sit overnight before cooking it. And knead it quite a few times. I'm too lazy to do that.

Thats only if you are making seitan from wheat flour. That process requires huge amounts of kneeding, soaking and rinsing. Not for the faint of heart! Better to buy gluten powder and skip all of that soaking and kneeding.
#14 Old 07-10-2008, 11:25 AM

Thanks for the recipe. I don't think it's the same as what I've tried before. One day, when IS is away (swearing was involved last time ), I'll give it a go again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page