Green and Black's vegan chocolate not vegan - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-18-2008, 11:04 AM
Beginner

Green and Black's have decided to stop labelling their 'vegan' dark chocolate bars as vegan and to include milk protein on the ingredients lists, because they've found out that there are still traces of milk on the factory equipment after making the milk chocolate. They're not changing the recipe of the chocolate, but they're labelling milk as an ingredient because they can't guarantee that there is no milk present in the chocolate.

News statement released this week: http://www.greenandblacks.com/uk/new...p?cpage=0&cp=0

I think all I can say is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-18-2008, 11:58 AM
Beginner

Blimey, I bet that was a hard decision for the marketing guys to make

Presumably the cost implications were too great for sorting out the factory..?

Well, I love Divine anyway (as a recent convert) and will stick to eating that from now on!
#3 Old 05-18-2008, 12:17 PM
Beginner

Why don't they do what everyone else does and say "this product may contain traces of milk" or whatever.

Idiots.
#4 Old 05-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Beginner

"A recent audit revealed that traces of milk residues can still be found on manufacturing equipment despite intensive cleaning."

I guess because they now know for definite that the products definitely do contain milk, they can't get away with the 'may contain traces' any more. They're probably more concerned about getting sued by people with serious milk allergies, but if they're admitting there's definitely milk in the chocolate then they can't say it's vegan any more.

But yeah, I'll be sticking to other brands - my recent discovery is Organica chocolate, and the vegan 'milk' chocolate buttons they sell in Holland and Barrett. Makes a change from 70% stuff all the time!
#5 Old 05-18-2008, 01:02 PM
Beginner

I think that it's good they are trying to be as transparent as possible.
#6 Old 05-18-2008, 09:02 PM
Beginner

I'd still FAR rather they did the "processed on equipment" spiel. Saying it's an ingredient is more misleading because it's not - the milk is a contaminant. I buy things that are "processed on equipment" etc or "may contain traces of" milk as I personally am not concerned about contaminant levels of milk. People with allergies that severe obviously need to stay away from even that possible/probable amount and the current labeling is accurate and adequate, IMO. I never buy a product that has dairy in the ingredient list and so won't buy any Green & Black with the new ingredient list. I won't know if they've started to add it or if they're talking about traces from the machinery.

I can maybe see taking the "vegan" label off since people are quite particular about that meaning. But putting the milk into the ingredients list is a step backwards for truth in labeling.
#7 Old 05-19-2008, 12:29 AM
Beginner

Perhaps it is due to the amount of contaminant milk, they seem to suggest on the site that they can't be sure it is below the official levels for a contaminant?
#8 Old 05-19-2008, 12:32 AM
Beginner

I don't buy Green and Blacks anyway becuase they are owned by Cadburys.

Either way I agree -why don't they just say - "this product may contain traces of dairy milk" . But that's Cadburys for you, they are probably the dairy industrys favourite customer anyway.
#9 Old 05-19-2008, 05:04 AM
Beginner

Oh that's lame. It makes no sense to me to add milk to the ingredients if they don't include it in the recipe. Why 'contains traces of...' (without the 'may') isn't good enough is beyond me.
#10 Old 05-19-2008, 06:30 AM
Banned

Are the UK vegans going to stop eating it because of this? I can't say it bothers me too much, if they aren't actually adding any milk to the recipe it's as vegan as it was when it was labelled as such.
#11 Old 05-19-2008, 07:09 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorzelGummidge View Post

Are the UK vegans going to stop eating it because of this? I can't say it bothers me too much, if they aren't actually adding any milk to the recipe it's as vegan as it was when it was labelled as such.

Tbh i don't know, i think i'll consume it if the mood strikes and there's no alternatives. Alternatives aren't actually about, not for different chocolate like mint, cherry and ginger and organica chocolate is disgusting.
#12 Old 05-19-2008, 11:05 AM
Beginner

I will stop eating it. Afterall, who knows if they might eventually sneak milk into the recipe? I can't bring myself to buy anything with milk listed in the ingredients.
#13 Old 05-19-2008, 11:25 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Why don't they just make VEGAN chocolate and stop making milk chocolate.

The animals would be in a better place if they did.

I reckon they just make vegan chocolate to jump on the bandwagon. Any profits must be good profits for them.
#14 Old 05-19-2008, 01:15 PM
Beginner

Quote:

The whole point is we won't know if it is or if it's not with the new label. Once milk is listed as an ingredient (coming from the equipment), there's nothing to stop them adding it to the recipe in the future. There's no requirement for them to say anything about the change on the label, which will already have milk as an ingredient.

I am going to stop buying it when the labeling changes, not that I buy it that often...
#15 Old 05-19-2008, 03:28 PM
Beginner

I won't buy it any more. I think they know they're beyond the 'may contain traces of' stage because now they *know* it contains milk and they know it contains more than what could be considered 'traces', particularly for a milk allergy sufferer, so they can't pretend it might not contain milk any more. I'll stick with companies that are a bit more trustworthy!
#16 Old 05-19-2008, 07:23 PM
Beginner

It's just a contaminant, for crying out loud! They could just put "contains traces of milk". There are contaminants of some sort in many foods. The producer knows they're there, the FDA knows they're there (and have even made a list of how much of each contaminant is allowable in certain foods - not for the faint of heart). So peanut butter, for example, is allowed to have an "average of 30 or more insect fragments per 100 grams". They know that's in there and they can't guarantee it's not in there, so why not add "insect fragments" to the ingredients list?

ETA: And this is speaking as someone who is sensitive (allergic?) to dairy products. I need to use my own judgement when consuming a product, as should anyone else with an allergy
#17 Old 05-19-2008, 11:38 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger_Lady View Post

Blimey, I bet that was a hard decision for the marketing guys to make

Presumably the cost implications were too great for sorting out the factory..?

Well, I love Divine anyway (as a recent convert) and will stick to eating that from now on!

Divine is still fairtrade too unlike Green and Black's since it got taken over
#18 Old 05-20-2008, 12:07 AM
Beginner

Yeah, I tend to but Organica or Divine these days for the fair trade aspect and only eat G&B in an emergency.

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****
#19 Old 05-20-2008, 03:53 AM
Beginner

Quote:

I'm undecided. I'm not completely vegan yet, but I do not consume dairy or egg when it's perfectly avoidable (ie. the vast majority of the time) however I don't stress out over 'traces' of something or where Vitamin D is extracted from, and don't beat myself up if the only option contains a small amount of animal product (never direct from the animal, though). So long as they don't alter the recipe, I'm reasonably okay with it still I guess although I'll probably investigate the alternatives and see if I like any of them more and go with them if I do.
#20 Old 05-20-2008, 07:37 AM
Beginner

you know what, I didnt even know that chocolate was vegan. I just saw chocolate, and didnt buy it. never once looked at the ingredients.

At least they are bieng completely honest, even if it makes it more confusing than before.
#21 Old 05-20-2008, 11:07 AM
Beginner

Hmmm I never really thought about them sneaking milk things into ingredients in future. Bah thats annoyed me now, how will i live without yummy ginger chocolate?! I never really considered the fair trade aspect, which is bad of me.

Okay so no more G & B for me, i guess i'll stick to errm not much else, Organica is horrible in my experience and the only divine chocolate i ever come across here is dark which is dull. Hmmm time to learn to make chocolate me thinks either that or get over my chocolate addiction.

Argh i just had a thought! No more Maya Gold afternoon chocolate fixes, it's the only vegan chocolate the shops at work sell!
#22 Old 05-20-2008, 11:23 AM
Beginner

Just re read the statement on the site and it seems like they may be doing a 'may contain traces...' thing with it

Quote:
In order to ensure that consumers are at minimum risk the new packaging will clearly state on pack that milk residues may be present in dark chocolate bars across the range. The new packaging has already been printed and is filtering through to retailers over the next few months.

They're not exactly saying it's listed as an ingredient apart from in the beginning of the statement so a bit of a conflict in reporting there. Also it mentioned milk protein is present on the equipment NOT in the chocolate itself. Will be interested to see the new packaging.
#23 Old 05-20-2008, 02:36 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vheogl View Post

Just re read the statement on the site and it seems like they may be doing a 'may contain traces...' thing with it

They're not exactly saying it's listed as an ingredient apart from in the beginning of the statement so a bit of a conflict in reporting there. Also it mentioned milk protein is present on the equipment NOT in the chocolate itself. Will be interested to see the new packaging.

I hope this is the case. I personally don't get too upset about shared equipment with the possibility of contamination and I don't want to be avoiding things unnecessarily (assuming that contaminants were to start being listed as ingredients rather than as contaminants).
#24 Old 05-21-2008, 06:40 AM
Beginner

I'm very upset about it! I loooooooove the cherry G&B and now can't find an alternative! Organica and Divine are good...but it was the fabulous cherries that made the G&B my favourite...I'll just have to consume a packet of dried cherries with my Divine from now on!

Clarexxx
#25 Old 05-21-2008, 09:02 AM
Beginner

I guess you just have to ask yourself if it matters to you. if you are a vegan because you believe its wrong to farm and kill animals, milk traces from machinery will not matter to you - you are not buying milk so are not supporting dairy farms.
#26 Old 05-21-2008, 09:53 AM
Beginner

Do you guys have the Endangered Species Dark Chocolate bars in the UK? Their dark chocolate with blueberries is really good. I also love their Dark Chocolate Cranberries and Almonds bar. YUM! They are also certified vegan and 100% ethically traded. I find them to be better than Green and Blacks anyway.

Here's a link to their website:

http://www.chocolatebar.com/
#27 Old 05-26-2008, 01:14 AM
Beginner

'The ingredient list will show organic whole milk powder. Is this now an ingredient in Green & Black's dark chocolate?

No, the decision to show milk as an ingredient was very hard and debated for a long time. Unfortunately we can not guarantee that our dark chocolate will be free from traces of milk as it is made on the same production line and we have therefore included it as an ingredient to ensure consumers, especially milk allergy sufferers, are aware of the possibility.'

http://www.greenandblacks.com/uk/new...p?cpage=0&cp=0
#28 Old 05-26-2008, 09:43 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovey View Post

Do you guys have the Endangered Species Dark Chocolate bars in the UK? Their dark chocolate with blueberries is really good. I also love their Dark Chocolate Cranberries and Almonds bar. YUM! They are also certified vegan and 100% ethically traded. I find them to be better than Green and Blacks anyway.

Here's a link to their website:

http://www.chocolatebar.com/

oh, i don't think they are, unfortunately! they sound yummy. I tried doing a location search on that site but nothing came up for the United Kingdom. Hmmm...
#29 Old 05-27-2008, 11:44 AM
Beginner

what about the G&B drinking chocolate, which would otherwise be vegan ? I drink loads of that, or at least I did.
#30 Old 05-30-2008, 04:54 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vheogl View Post

Okay so no more G & B for me, i guess i'll stick to errm not much else, Organica is horrible in my experience and the only divine chocolate i ever come across here is dark which is dull.

Oxfam shops usually sell other Devine chocolate bars, I checked them out yesterday and the Oxfam shop I went to [which is tinnny] had Devine dark mint chocolate, and devine dark fruit and nut chocolate both of which were vegan I believe, so that's worth checking out.

Oxfam also sell dark chocolate covered mango... it's to die for

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page