randomness: vegan pain reliever - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-30-2008, 05:35 AM
Beginner

So, I've been having some back troubles that have been bothering me greatly over the past couple of days. I went to the store (aka "shop") yesterday and was checking to see what was available. I was pleasantly surprised to find an accidentally vegan pain reliever, Anadin Extra. It's an aspirin/paracetamol/caffeine blend. The inert ingredients are:

maize starch, microcrystalline cellulose, hydrogenated vegetable oil, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, polyethylene glycol, pregelatinised starch, and povidone. It's still pretty "chemical", for lack of a better word, but I thought I'd pass along the info nonetheless.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-30-2008, 04:00 PM
Beginner

A lot of medicines have solely vegan ingredients, though, don't they?

My paracetamol does!

It's the testing that's the problem. :[

Is Anadin effective?
#3 Old 03-30-2008, 05:46 PM
Banned

i like Anadin.

Disprin direct is decent too- its lime flavoured and you don't need water.

i'm relatively sure that Nurofen lemon meltlets (also no water ones) are ok too- they're listed as sutable for vegetarians and lactose free.
#4 Old 03-30-2008, 06:00 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheFlesh? View Post

Is Anadin effective?

Much more than just paracetamol, it's right up there in pain relief brands.

I'm sure Isowish will be along in a bit to sing it's praises, shes obsessed.
#5 Old 03-30-2008, 06:10 PM
Banned

i can eat paracetamol like tictacs and it does absolutely sod all for me. my doctor said that not everyone responds to all painkillers.

that said, i used to do ok with Solpadeine Plus Soluble Tablets- but i reckon that ws mainly the codeine (yay for opiates) and caffeine- when i'm wired, i don't care that stuff hurts any more.
#6 Old 03-30-2008, 07:17 PM
Beginner

Yeah, I think the codeine would have done a lot more for anyone than paracetamol.
#7 Old 03-31-2008, 08:37 AM
Beginner

Heh. Yeah, it's not really doing so much for me Ibuprofen is the wonder drug of choice for me, but the vegan brand I've found before was missing from the shelves this time. (actually, I think it's just been reformulated to include shellac..ew)

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#8 Old 03-31-2008, 12:20 PM
Beginner

The only time I had an aspirin/paracetamol mix it made me feel really ill. I usually only take paracetamol so I guess aspirin is perhaps something I should avoid, eep.
#9 Old 03-31-2008, 12:31 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fona View Post

I'm sure Isowish will be along in a bit to sing it's praises, shes obsessed.

yup, I v. much like my anadin extra not sure it's 'vegan' as, you know, animal testing etc, etc, but I'd much rather buy animal-tested animal-free chemicals than one with bits of dairy in, so
#10 Old 03-31-2008, 01:33 PM
Beginner

I know it's made by Glaxo but ingredients wise, is Lemsip vegan? I have always avoided it and admit homeopathic remedies I have tried when I have had really bad colds have been much more effective, but I have always wondered.

'Pain bands' are apparently effective too, although I don't know too much about them.
#11 Old 03-31-2008, 02:30 PM
Banned

lemsip sachets are basically paracetamol, decongestant, sugar, fake sugar, and lemon flavour. they look fine to me ingredients wise. they're vegetarian and lactose free on the lemsip site faq section. the gel caps aren't vegan (gelatine).

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page