How does powdered soy milk rate? - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-05-2012, 10:06 AM
Banned

hi,

(I thought i would post on UK section as people understand the local food market...)

I have found all the non-dairy milks from cartons pretty intolerable...not only is alpro so expensive , it is also yukky! I am looking for the closest thing to skimmed milk alternative and thought if I have the option of making soy milk powder to mix to a lesser potency than otherwise found, it may work? what do you think? I am not even keen on the 'creaminess' of milk so that is why I opt and prefer skimmed milk.

I tend to find the soy/almond/coconut are made to be equivalent to a full fat milk. that is not what I want.

Cost is also a factor and I eat cereal everyday so.....

I found on ebay "Now foods"do a soy milk powder.. 567grams for £9.99 which i hope will make around 9-10 litres; which is equivalent to the cost of cows skimmed milk at any supermarket...

I hate almonds; so that milk as it comes and powdered is a no no also....

Despising myself, as this skimmed milk is the last bastion of my vegetarianism; I just have to find a decent alternative... I found the coconut milk too creamy too and cholesterol wise not good for me anyway...

Please help and advise me.. por favor..

Cheers,
labratmat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Beginner

Quote:
and cholesterol wise not good for me anyway

coconut milk has zero cholesterol, are you just talking about the fat content? Cause fat isnt really that bad for ya.

soymilk made from powder is pretty nasty for drinking straight, but if your into skim milk its not all that different
I use powdered soymilk in cooking sometimes though, its great for making native American tacos

No gods, No masters, No woo, No whey! Ⓥ
Read my blog and be skeptical not susceptible
http://skepticalvegan.wordpress.com/
#3 Old 04-05-2012, 03:54 PM
Beginner

I'd say that if you don't like the taste of soya/almond etc milk, then you really wont like the powdered stuff.

I used to take it with me when I went camping, to have on muesli & in coffee, & despite being used to soya milk,
I didn't find it too pleasant.

If you've been having soya milk from the chilled section, I'd suggest trying the UHT, which is much nicer IMO.
Or give oat milk a go.

With regards to cost, supermarket own brand soya milk is much cheaper. Soya milk can sometimes take a bit of getting used to.

Good luck.
#4 Old 04-06-2012, 09:40 AM
Beginner

I remember drinking soy milk made from powder when I was a kid. The taste was horrible! Stay away from it! Personally I find soymilk without vanilla drinkable only on cereals, etc. Soy milk with vanilla flavour is the only variety that I can drink straight from the cup.

If you find regular soy milk too expensive, you can make your own from soy beans if you have a soy milk maker. Or you could just save yourself from hassle and add water to the regular soy milk that you buy from the supermarked, which is what I would do if I were you.

The media is the message
#5 Old 04-06-2012, 09:49 AM
Beginner

I bought some powdered soya milk the other day for coffee. It clumped up and tasted awful.

I usually have either soya or oatly cream in coffee and the milk versions for oats.
#6 Old 04-07-2012, 07:13 AM
Beginner

I find rice milk a lot thinner/ less creamy than soya, almond and oat milk, you can often get Rice Dream on promotion at £1 if you want to give that a try?
#7 Old 04-07-2012, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

I use Tam-Tov nondairy powder creamer which is ok-ish for coffee and Rice Dream on cereals.
#8 Old 02-01-2013, 06:58 PM
Beginner

You're a fussey bugger, so am i. We use Sanitarium's Sogood, I reckon it is certainly the pick of the bunch taste wise.

#9 Old 02-02-2013, 04:39 PM
Beginner

I've just ordered "MimicCreme Flavored Coffee Creamer" in the hope of finding something tasty to go in my coffee, I love soya milk but it doesn't seem to love coffee.

I'll have to let you know if it's any good.

-Slave.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page