VeggieBoards banner

Alpro Almond Milk

21K views 37 replies 25 participants last post by  Go Vegan 
#1 ·
Saw it advertised on telly so thought I would give it a try.

It's quite rich but yummy on cereals

See less See more
#12 ·
There is fresh (in fridge) & UHT too. I've bought some UHT stuff, can anybody tell me if the fresh or UHT is better please? I was never a fan of fresh soya milk from the fridge. I'll be trying both though, but maybe just as a treat as the second ingredient is sugar!

#13 ·
If you wait a week or so I'll let you know what I think, so far I've only tried fresh. I didn't realise the other one was UHT. The longlife was about £1.60-£1.70ish I think, not on offer. I only bought it because there was only one left on offer - for two weeks running - so I guess their advertising campaign is working well! I've seen lots of adverts too and it makes me smile, maybe one day it'll be in starbucks and I can have lattes again *dreams*.

#16 ·
I bought some of the fresh Alpro Almond last week and I thought it was delicious! The best tasting milk I have had by a mile. It was the only milk I've ever had that I enjoyed to drink. Once I have finished my Oatly (which I buy by the box) I will definitely be converting. I've never seen Tesco's own almond milk.

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hekaterine View Post

I didn't know tesco did their own brand. Is it cheaper than Alpro?
The introductory price was cheaper, it's part of Tesco's new Free From fridge range. I think that it's actually more expensive now than Alpro's version, but I could be wrong. Alpro certainly has the edge, though. The Tesco variety isn't quite as creamy and wasn't too palatable, at least for me. I think Alpro generally have the edge in Milk Alternatives, although I am more a fan of Rice Milk.

#18 ·
Travesty!
The Sainsburys opposite my work now only stocks the Hazelnut milk and is almondless, ive looked several times and its just not there. I looked in both the fridge and the freefrom bit annnd the UHT milk bit and nothing. Is it me or is dairy free milk taking off massively recently? Even though they had no almond, they did have rice milk, vanilla alpro, chocolate kara, normal kara, and some hemp milk. Fairly sure this time last year the most exotic milk in a supermarket was chocolate Alpro.

#19 ·
i think it is. My Mam started drinking it (on and off) because of health concerns shes not veggie.
Alot of people perhaps think its trendy to drink alt milk...like ordering a double half caff hazelnut soy latte sounds better dont you think

And then theres those who simply 'cant do dairy sweetie'

in all seriousness I have noticed more people buying alt milks...

#20 ·
I tried the Alpro UHT & instantly thought 'this tastes weird'.
Had it in coffee & it curdled badly, then had it in Bambu
& didn't really like the taste, but thought it was fine after a couple of
cups.
Maybe it's going to take a bit of getting used to for me, everyone else seemed to like it straight away though.

Think I'll be sticking with soya milk, but it's good to see another dairy alternative.

I wonder if there's going to be an unsweetened version?

#21 ·
The UHT tastes sweeter IMO and seemed kind of grainy? My sainsburys has run out of the fresh I think, or stopped selling it but it seems unlikley because it went really quickly. If it isn't there next week I will email them! The UHT almond is still nicer than any of the other ones I've tried IMO.

I think a lot of people buy dairy free milks because of allergies and intollerances (also self-diagnosed "intollerances" seem very common at the moment).

Companies like Alpro and Quorn promote animal-free alternatives as a healthier option, rather than an ethical/free-from product, which I think has helped their image and popularity a lot too.

#24 ·
alice, i guess it does in a way but the second ingredient in the almond milk is sugar, so that probably contributes to the sweetness. i have a really temperamental sweet tooth - i hate my lattes with even a hint of sweetness but i can eat loads of chocolate!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.