Product thread - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-31-2011, 09:35 AM
Beginner

Okay so this seemed a bit silly to have a whole thread about.... so I thought maybe we could just have a general UK product discussion thread? I thought we had one but I can't find it...

Ayway sainsburys fizzy fangs are vegan, they have confirmed via email. I thought they were, but the packet doesn't even say vegetarian. It seems it is just an oversight, as their email said they were deffinatly vegetarian and vegan

Which is good, 'cause they're yummy! I figured since the packet doesn't even say vegetarian some people may not realise they are infact vegan, and they're cheap and yummy (very sour) and perfect for halloween if anyone has kids/trick-or-treat-ers or just loves childrens sweets like I do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-31-2011, 09:55 AM
Beginner

Great thread idea.
Its annoying to try and work it out (Im a pretty bad label reader. some things I dont understand yet) So this will be very helpful.
It is limited to food or can we post cleaning products/makeup/shoes/clothes etc?
#3 Old 10-31-2011, 12:16 PM
Beginner

Of course I'm always emailing people about products (I don't really like using the phone, and it's the easiest way to know for sure) so I'll post any responses/etc as well
#4 Old 10-31-2011, 01:39 PM
Beginner

Fizzy Fangs eh? Not heard of them! What flavour are they? I'm raiding Sainsburys tomorrow, love fizzy sweets.

Marks and Sparks now do veggie percy pigs. theyre not vegan, but the veggies on the board may be interested.
#5 Old 11-01-2011, 12:19 AM
Beginner

They're in the section of 3 for £1 sweets, with the shoelaces/etc. I think they're like sour strawberry

Oh that is cool. I don't usually expect M&S to make moves towards more vegetarian products... I think it's just because they're products are usually better quality so often have cream/butter/eggs/animal fat where other companies products wouldn't put it.
#6 Old 11-01-2011, 10:10 AM
Beginner

I might get these fizzy fangs for my husband.

I tried one of those Innocent veg pots today, the vegan Thai one and it was disgusting! It's annoying as I bought two of them as they were on offer at Sainsbury's.
#7 Old 11-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Beginner

I was eyeing those up. Thanks for saving me some money Pixie
#8 Old 11-02-2011, 07:48 AM
Beginner

Fizzy fangs! Seriously? Ohhhh yes, fizzy sweets for me soon then.

Where do people get their vegan cheese? I cannot for the life of me find any.

Misanthrope seeks misanthrope.
#9 Old 11-02-2011, 07:58 AM
Beginner

Rags - I get cheezly from Tesco online or H&B. If you ask in H&B or another health food shop they would probably order it in for you if you were going to buy it regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Race View Post

I was eyeing those up. Thanks for saving me some money Pixie

You might like them haha.
#10 Old 11-02-2011, 08:07 AM
Beginner

Yeah you can get cheezly in Holland and Barrett...its nasty though isnt it...or is it just me?
tastes like that cheese you used to get in cheese footballs at partys...yak!
Id love to try some other kinds..
#11 Old 11-02-2011, 08:18 AM
Beginner

H&B - I go in there all the time and never see it. My eyes must be deceiving me.
And my Tesco's definitely has none!

I'm more of a Sainsbury's girl usually, but no luck there either.

Thanks though girls. I will check again or ask the lady in H&B.

#12 Old 11-02-2011, 10:41 AM
Beginner

Yeah I like Sainsburys too...although Im not a fan of the new 'suitable for' logo....
#13 Old 11-02-2011, 10:43 AM
Beginner

Oh I haven't seen it yet. Why not?

Been popping into Tesco's lately because it's right near where I work/easier. Boo to me.

#14 Old 11-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Beginner

Its just a green V for vegetarian and the green V with 'vegan' underneath for vegan (duh) BUT i liked it when it said 'vegetarian and vegan' because it was right infront of you in black and white...now I find myself checking the labels again...
#15 Old 11-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Goth-Alice. View Post

Yeah you can get cheezly in Holland and Barrett...its nasty though isnt it...or is it just me?

I thought it tasted really strange for a while after I first went vegan but I like it now. It's good in toasted sandwiches with tomatoes and brown sauce or on crackers.

http://www.buteisland.com/ Sheese is another brand but I have only tasted the soft cheese version and I thought it was a little weird. I have ordered some Vegusto online and I have heard that really tastes like dairy cheese.
#16 Old 11-03-2011, 04:19 AM
Beginner

Does cheezly melt? i tried to make a cheese bake with some once and it went greyish and was like eating candle wax, you know the way candle wax cools and gets a skin over it really fast? BLERGH.
#17 Old 11-03-2011, 04:24 AM
Beginner

You can buy super melting Cheezly but I can't really remember if it works or not.

On the sheese website it suggests you mix grated Strong Cheddar and Creamy Cheddar Spreadmix and the pic looks like this and that looks quite nice:

#18 Old 11-03-2011, 04:41 AM
Beginner

That looks lush!
I really want to try some Sheese, and maybe even give Cheezly another go. But I dont want to have to be ordering it online...seems odd to me.
I guess it seems expensive BUT saying that I spend £2/3 on a block of Cathedral City cheese for boyshape.
#19 Old 11-03-2011, 08:45 AM
Beginner

Quote:

That looks lush!

I know! They have recipes on their website too. I may have to give Sheese another go.
#20 Old 11-13-2011, 01:34 AM
Beginner

I just noticed H&B do a soya-free-dairy-free yogurt thing! I am allergic to soya yogurts so haven't eaten them in two years so.... YAY I HAVE YOGURT IN MY LIFE AGAIN very happy. They're called "wot no dairy" and they are nice, taste like soy yogurt really.
#21 Old 11-13-2011, 11:25 AM
Beginner

^ Ive tried that "wot no dairy" at a vegan fayre, it was rather nice. they were boasting about being the uks only soy-free yoghurt. Ive never really eaten yoghurt though, even as an omni, most likely theyd just sit in my cupboard then go off as id forget to eat them haha.
#22 Old 11-13-2011, 11:46 AM
Beginner

Lush products look/smell so lush. I was in one the other day but couldn't buy anything as I'm poor & need any money I have for Christmas. BUT in the new year there are a few things I must get - have just been on their website putting things in my basket & leaving them, ha.

#23 Old 11-13-2011, 11:57 AM
Beginner

I heard that Sojade vegan yogurt is rather nice although I have never found it, not soya free though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rags. View Post

Lush products look/smell so lush.

That is ironic. I love the Lush bath bombs.

I recently tried the Original Source Vanilla Cream and Raspberry stuff, mmm.
#24 Old 11-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Beginner

Yeah, I heard good things about the bath bombs. I want one of their face masks too.

It says there's a store in Liverpool st. station but I've never seen it?? More likely to pass there than the one I went to the other day.

#25 Old 11-19-2011, 01:30 AM
Beginner

Quote:

Does cheezly melt? i tried to make a cheese bake with some once and it went greyish and was like eating candle wax, you know the way candle wax cools and gets a skin over it really fast? BLERGH.

I love Edam or mozzarella cheezlys melted or unmelted (exam is delicious on baked potatoes) I can take or leave the cheddar though and the Gouda was like sick!

Other cheezlys I liked but haven't seen much recently were the nacho (amazing on Mexican food, haven't seen in over a year) and the soya free (haven't seen in a few months)I guess if not that many people buy it they can't afford to have so many varieties but I wish they'd get rid of the cheddar which is always there and replace it with the nicer ones!
#26 Old 11-19-2011, 02:18 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

I heard that Sojade vegan yogurt is rather nice although I have never found it, not soya free though.

Sojade is a lot smoother than alpro yoghurt, which makes it a lot nicer in my opinion. They have more flavours, too. I really miss it now that I'm soya-free. I tried the wot no dairy ones and was really disappointed because they're not really like yoghurt at all - nice enough, but just not like yoghurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_charm View Post

(exam is delicious on baked potatoes)

So that's what they do with old manuscripts.
#27 Old 11-21-2011, 10:08 AM
Beginner

#28 Old 11-22-2011, 02:32 PM
Beginner

Finally.

A vegan cheese, that smells and tastes and works like cheese. I never thought I'd see the day.

http://www.vegusto.co.uk/shop/

I had the no-moo mild aromatic, and it was like a soft cheddar. It was beautiful. I'm ordering a starter pack to try more things, along with an extra block of the one I had because OMG so good.
#29 Old 11-23-2011, 05:05 AM
Beginner

^ It's cheaper from http://www.alternativestores.com I've been wanting to try it for a while, but I think I'll have to wait until after Christmas.
#30 Old 11-23-2011, 06:23 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiholic View Post

^ It's cheaper from http://www.alternativestores.com I've been wanting to try it for a while, but I think I'll have to wait until after Christmas.

That's the same prices... and Vegusto are doing a couple of offers atm (free delivery over 30 quid, 15% off starter kits).

Can't wait to see them at trade shows, though, as it'll probably be cheaper there.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page