Non Animal Testing Shampoo And Conditioners? - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-18-2010, 03:07 PM
Beginner

Hi, everyone.

I need some help for my hair. I'll probably ask more adivce about my hair later on at some point. I need a good moisturizing shampoo and condition, as my hair is in terrible conditon. What Animal testing free shampoos are out there, pref in supermarkets. I used Aussie Shampoo a long way back and seem good on my hair as it felt quite hydrated afterwards. Then I fount out procter and gamble was behind it so stopped using it. But heard that its not tested on animals, what is everyones view on this or is there any shamppos that someone can reccomend me. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-18-2010, 03:29 PM
Beginner

Yeah I'm very interested in this subject. I love Aussie and the smell but I can't deal with their stupidness. Some organic products I do know of: Alba, Burt's Bees, Gigi (found at Sally's Beauty).... But I'm not sure if they're vegan.
#3 Old 06-18-2010, 03:33 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Love Veggies' date='18 June 2010 - 11:29 PM' timestamp='1276900198' post='2660713 View Post

Yeah I'm very interested in this subject. I love Aussie and the smell but I can't deal with their stupidness. Some organic products I do know of: Alba, Burt's Bees, Gigi (found at Sally's Beauty).... But I'm not sure if they're vegan.

What do you mean by their stupidness? I think Alba is an animal tesing or has a parent brand that is animal tesing or has procter behind them. Procter seems to be everywhere.
#4 Old 06-18-2010, 04:12 PM
Beginner

Albas parent company is Avalon Organics which does not test on animals, or use ingrediants tested on animals. Avalon is owned by Hain Celestal.

http://albabotanica.com/?title=FAQ%27s

http://www.hain-celestial.com/press/hcg_csr_2009.pdf

Not saying they're vegan though.
#5 Old 06-18-2010, 05:09 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman' date='18 June 2010 - 03:33 PM' timestamp='1276900410' post='2660714 View Post

What do you mean by their stupidness? I think Alba is an animal tesing or has a parent brand that is animal tesing or has procter behind them. Procter seems to be everywhere.

Thats why I said I'm not sure if they're vegan. I understand that procter is everywhere.
#6 Old 06-20-2010, 02:30 AM
Beginner

Original Source shampoos and conditioners don't test on animals and are vegan.
#7 Old 06-20-2010, 09:36 AM
Beginner

If you want something cheap and cheerful, a lot of Superdrug own brand shampoo and conditioner is vegan.
#8 Old 06-22-2010, 03:10 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva' date='19 June 2010 - 12:12 AM' timestamp='1276902742' post='2660737 View Post

Albas parent company is Avalon Organics which does not test on animals, or use ingrediants tested on animals. Avalon is owned by Hain Celestal.

http://albabotanica.com/?title=FAQ%27s

http://www.hain-celestial.com/press/hcg_csr_2009.pdf

Not saying they're vegan though.

Okie Dokie, I'll have to check 'em out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Love Veggies' date='19 June 2010 - 01:09 AM' timestamp='1276906183' post='2660795 View Post

Thats why I said I'm not sure if they're vegan. I understand that procter is everywhere.

If this the Aussie or Alba? I'm not to bothered about vegan as i'm only a vegetarian, so do Aussie test on animals still or are they owned by procter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieJane' date='20 June 2010 - 10:30 AM' timestamp='1277026248' post='2661634 View Post

Original Source shampoos and conditioners don't test on animals and are vegan.

Ok, I don't know much about their shamppos and conditioners. Are they any good for moisture and repair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret' date='20 June 2010 - 05:36 PM' timestamp='1277051801' post='2661726 View Post

If you want something cheap and cheerful, a lot of Superdrug own brand shampoo and conditioner is vegan.

I've tried them but they don't do anything for my hair. Is there any ones you can recommend.
#9 Old 06-22-2010, 03:17 PM
Beginner

This is the type of shampoo amd conditioner i'm looking for:

http://www.superdrug.com/Aussie/Auss...384032&bklist=

http://www.superdrug.com/Elvive/Elvi...ML/invt/507571

Not sure if L'oreal test on animals still a i've been looking and fount out about episkin. Is that in pratice yet? or they still on the list for animal testing?

Does anyone know of anything similar to this? As the last time I used Aussie it worked really well and no other shampoos have been working for me. Just fount out that Aussie doesn't test on animals, but its owned by procter, what is people's stance on this?

Thanks
#10 Old 06-22-2010, 04:08 PM
Beginner

L'oreal does test on animals.

My thoughts on things: whether or not the main company (like: Aussie, Tom's of Maine, etc) tests on animals, their parent company does. I'm not going to help pay for that BS regardless of what products are and are not tested. Tom's of Maine used to be a small company, in their newest advertisements they're saying they don't test on animals. Well goody for them, but then why are you with a company (colgate/palmolive) that does test its other products? It's just plain stupid. I hate big companies!!!! Grr they're taking over everything....

I was drinking Lipton tea the other day. Well what do you know right on the front of the bottle "Unilever is our parent company". They test on animals too. These companies are getting too big! It's sad that I can't even buy a drink without having to worry about a big animal killing company behind it! And I just learned that they also own Good Humor-Breyers. Yay! That ice cream is screwed!
#11 Old 06-23-2010, 02:06 PM
Beginner

Faith in Nature is the brand we love. I've only seen it in health food shops, but it's fab!

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#12 Old 06-24-2010, 12:01 AM
Beginner

We use Avalon Organics. We found Original Source to be *way* too harsh and drying. It gave my husband excema on his forehead. Avalon is gentle and moisturising and less harsh. It doesn't foam up that much--you need to mix in a bit of water in your hand and rub to bring up a foam before you put it in your hair (but that is because they don't use harsh surfactants) Their conditioner is good too. And they use real essential oils so they smell divine.

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****
#13 Old 06-28-2010, 02:44 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Love Veggies' date='23 June 2010 - 12:08 AM' timestamp='1277248114' post='2663054 View Post

L'oreal does test on animals.

My thoughts on things: whether or not the main company (like: Aussie, Tom's of Maine, etc) tests on animals, their parent company does. I'm not going to help pay for that BS regardless of what products are and are not tested. Tom's of Maine used to be a small company, in their newest advertisements they're saying they don't test on animals. Well goody for them, but then why are you with a company (colgate/palmolive) that does test its other products? It's just plain stupid. I hate big companies!!!! Grr they're taking over everything....

I was drinking Lipton tea the other day. Well what do you know right on the front of the bottle "Unilever is our parent company". They test on animals too. These companies are getting too big! It's sad that I can't even buy a drink without having to worry about a big animal killing company behind it! And I just learned that they also own Good Humor-Breyers. Yay! That ice cream is screwed!

Damn L'oreal!

I've lately been swaying on my stance, for the most part I refuse to fund them in anyway shape or form. It just seems they're everywhere, like now, Colgate/palmolve are on my list of stuff not to buy. Just seems like a losing battle. Where do I draw the line exactly, I shop at supermarkets so i'm contributing to them in a way, I work at a supermarket aswell. But now you and the other posters have re-ignited me not buying this stuff. I swear the companies are like this as it rakes in much more money. They know the animal rights omivores will likely give in once they realise the fact that so many daily products are animal tested or have a big name animal testing company behind them. Same with alot of Veggies, especially the ones I know. Rant over.
#14 Old 06-28-2010, 02:45 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen' date='23 June 2010 - 10:06 PM' timestamp='1277327216' post='2663644 View Post

Faith in Nature is the brand we love. I've only seen it in health food shops, but it's fab!

Great thanks! I'll have to check'em out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergrrl' date='24 June 2010 - 08:01 AM' timestamp='1277362861' post='2663876 View Post

We use Avalon Organics. We found Original Source to be *way* too harsh and drying. It gave my husband excema on his forehead. Avalon is gentle and moisturising and less harsh. It doesn't foam up that much--you need to mix in a bit of water in your hand and rub to bring up a foam before you put it in your hair (but that is because they don't use harsh surfactants) Their conditioner is good too. And they use real essential oils so they smell divine.

Cool, have to check'em out. Thanks
#15 Old 06-28-2010, 02:57 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Love Veggies' date='22 June 2010 - 07:08 PM' timestamp='1277248114' post='2663054 View Post

Grr they're taking over everything....

I know. It's impressive, actually...

#16 Old 06-28-2010, 04:01 PM
Beginner

It's sad really. None of that crap needs to happen, the government needs to stop it, and the "average joe" needs to be educated. If they were, there would be a major uproar and change in power in the food/everything else industry. I'd love to see a major turn around. I'm just tired of every where I look there is crap, crap, and more crap that is in our lives in everything.
#17 Old 07-02-2010, 05:45 AM
Beginner

I have to alternate my shampoos/conditioners, so I use Faith in Nature (ordered from veganstore.co.uk), Original Source (I found for £1 a bottle!) and cheap Co-op brand.

One that is good for conditioning is by J/A/S/O/N.... Natural Sea Kelp. You can find it in some health food shops, but it's quite expensive. Mine has lasted ages as I alternate... I've had it since September!
#18 Old 07-03-2010, 11:56 PM
Beginner

Was gonna suggest J/A/S/O/N too. It might be a bit more expensive but I think it's really good quality stuff. Love all products of that brand

Lavera might be another one to look at, available in health food shops, although I have to say that their body lotion type stuff does nothing but dry my skin out.
#19 Old 07-04-2010, 04:03 PM
Beginner

The Co-op make Honey and coconut shampoo and conditioner and claim it is animal product free. I know what you're thinking, honey right? Well there is no honey in it, and guess what? No coconut either! lol... and it's under £1 a bottle. My daughter loves it x
#20 Old 07-04-2010, 04:08 PM
Banned

Co op own brand...buav approved.
#21 Old 03-05-2013, 12:14 PM
Beginner

Dr. Organics is very good

#22 Old 03-10-2013, 08:16 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Seconded. (Or thirded I believe!) I love the pomegranate and rooibos one- it smells amazing, but then I gues it depends on hair type as to which would work best for you.

Also, I know these aren't in supermarkets but I would highly recommend the solid shampoo bars from lush. They are quite expensive (£5 I think), but they are really effective and last such a long time (seriously, about 3 months for me and I have long hair).
#23 Old 03-19-2013, 01:44 PM
Beginner

Green People seem to be another decent company and UK based. They only use cruelty-free ingredients:

http://www.greenpeople.co.uk/pdfs/q&a.pdf

#24 Old 06-26-2013, 01:02 PM
Beginner

Lush have lots of vegan hair care products. They don't test on animals or purchase ingredients from any company that does. https://www.lush.co.uk/

I use their 'Jungle' conditioner and it makes my (usually tuggy) hair nice and tangle free. smiley.gif

#25 Old 06-26-2013, 01:53 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Ethyl View Post

Lush have lots of vegan hair care products. They don't test on animals or purchase ingredients from any company that does. https://www.lush.co.uk/

I use their 'Jungle' conditioner and it makes my (usually tuggy) hair nice and tangle free. smiley.gif

Everytime I go into lush my nose falls off. It's unbelievably strong smelling in there, then again, they do just set everything out in the open!! I like lush but their stuff is hella expensive. I saw their shampoo and hair conditioners, and for $10 you get a little tiny bottle. I could go to whole foods and get a bottle 3x as big for $5.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#26 Old 06-26-2013, 02:06 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

Everytime I go into lush my nose falls off. It's unbelievably strong smelling in there, then again, they do just set everything out in the open!! I like lush but their stuff is hella expensive. I saw their shampoo and hair conditioners, and for $10 you get a little tiny bottle. I could go to whole foods and get a bottle 3x as big for $5.

Yeah, I was shocked at some of the prices of their bottled stuff. The solid shampoos seem to last for quite a while though so they don't work out too deadly. I'm probably a bit stingy with mine though to make them last longer!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page