• 1 Post By eyeamsixela
  • 1 Post By LedBoots
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 2 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By EarthGodess
  • 2 Post By eyeamsixela

#1 Old 08-22-2016, 02:15 PM

Unhappy College zoo field trip requirement

My anthropology class is enforcing a zoo field trip. It's a huge part of my grade. I don't want to go to a zoo, it's wrong. I thought abo sanctuarys but I feel weird going to a sanctuary. I understand the difference but I still don't want to go and conduct observations on them... I don't know what to do... I want to ask my professor if instead I would be allowed to go to a sanctuary but I would still feel wrong... How should I handle this....
beegan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-22-2016, 02:43 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

You could use this assignment to educate your professor about zoo cruelty...
#3 Old 08-22-2016, 05:41 PM
Vegan since 1991

Just ask your professor for an alternate assignment, one that will cover the same material to be presented at the zoo field trip. Be as polite as possible, and show willingness to do a little extra work.

If you find it necessary, you may be able to request "religious accommodation" of your animal rights beliefs. This might strengthen your request for an alternative assignment. You can request advice about this at your college's Student Interfaith Center (almost every large college has one).
eyeamsixela likes this.

_________

β€œUnder the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food β€” Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991

#4 Old 08-22-2016, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeamsixela View Post
My anthropology class is enforcing a zoo field trip. It's a huge part of my grade. I don't want to go to a zoo; it's wrong. I thought abo sanctuarys but I feel weird going to a sanctuary. I understand the difference but I still don't want to go and conduct observations on them... I don't know what to do... I want to ask my professor if instead I would be allowed to go to a sanctuary but I would still feel wrong... How should I handle this....
Be careful what you do. You can be marked. I know I have been marked for not eating what others eat on the parties. My best advice is to go to Zoo if you really need to go or call in sick of that can make you not go to the zoo.

But I know that biggest problem is that you paid a ticket, in other words, you gave them money to jail all those animals and that sucks. You are in a bad spot here, if you say something you will be marked and if you just go you are supporting Zoo keepers. Several months ago I would go with heavy road and say I don't want to be a part of this animal cruelty. But since my kid is born I m changing my thinking and I m willing to do more to protect him than to protect mine beliefs.
#5 Old 08-23-2016, 02:35 AM
Veggie Regular

In your situation I would still ask the professor if I could go to a sanctuary instead of a zoo. Name a specific sanctuary you have in mind to your professor. Be detailed about your request and what you would do to accomplish the assignment at a sanctuary. The people that work at sanctuaries are extremely knowledgeable about the animals they care for, and would probably be more than happy to share with you the natural behaviors and habits of their animals, what they eat, their social group behavior etc. Activists love to provide education about animals! Even if the professor says no, you can say you did everything you could.

When I was in school I was required to take anatomy and physiology, and one class I signed up for was going to use body parts acquired from factory farmed animals for dissection (cow brain and eyes). I could not in my best conscience participate in that, so I spoke up asking for an alternative assignment. The professor wouldn't budge, so I dropped the class and signed up for another A&P class that used online simulations for the lab section instead of actual animal parts (after all this was a HUMAN anatomy and physiology class). I was prepared to put up a fight though, all the way to contacting the Physicians Committee for responsible Medicine and other vegan organisations to help me fight being forced to do assignments against my values and beliefs. The professor even claimed to be a vegetarian herself, yet she knowingly chose to order animal parts from a company she knew acquired them from factory farms because they were cheap and easy to get, and she said she wanted her students to have the experience of working with live tissue. I would have happily worked with a human cadaver from someone who voluntarily donated their body. And in fact there is a local school where I live that does just that, but I lucked out with the other professor at my school willing to take me into his class and use online labs. It never hurts to speak up!
David3 and eyeamsixela like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 08-29-2016, 03:52 PM

I would make a petition against it, both online (I recommend Care 2 petitions) and on paper. Then I would try to explain to him how it causes animal suffering, and say that contributing to animal suffering is against your beliefs (people assume you mean a religion). You could suggest that you and your class go to a sanctuary instead or that you do a project on why zoos are bad, or design a santuary. If he still wants you to go to the zoo ask/make him watch a series that bitesize vegan did dedicated to zoos. If he still doesn't, you could lobby to the education board. If, in the end, you do go to the zoo, document how animals are stressed and what impact it has on children, having wild animals in a zoo. ('I want a lion Mum!'), and release the essay on to the Internet.Good luckπŸ‘β˜Ί
πŸΌπŸ§πŸ’πŸ†πŸ³
eyeamsixela likes this.
#7 Old 08-30-2016, 03:32 PM

Thank you, what you said really helped me decide what to do in this situation. My professor ended up allowing me to visit a sanctuary in place of a zoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
In your situation I would still ask the professor if I could go to a sanctuary instead of a zoo. Name a specific sanctuary you have in mind to your professor. Be detailed about your request and what you would do to accomplish the assignment at a sanctuary. The people that work at sanctuaries are extremely knowledgeable about the animals they care for, and would probably be more than happy to share with you the natural behaviors and habits of their animals, what they eat, their social group behavior etc. Activists love to provide education about animals! Even if the professor says no, you can say you did everything you could.

When I was in school I was required to take anatomy and physiology, and one class I signed up for was going to use body parts acquired from factory farmed animals for dissection (cow brain and eyes). I could not in my best conscience participate in that, so I spoke up asking for an alternative assignment. The professor wouldn't budge, so I dropped the class and signed up for another A&P class that used online simulations for the lab section instead of actual animal parts (after all this was a HUMAN anatomy and physiology class). I was prepared to put up a fight though, all the way to contacting the Physicians Committee for responsible Medicine and other vegan organisations to help me fight being forced to do assignments against my values and beliefs. The professor even claimed to be a vegetarian herself, yet she knowingly chose to order animal parts from a company she knew acquired them from factory farms because they were cheap and easy to get, and she said she wanted her students to have the experience of working with live tissue. I would have happily worked with a human cadaver from someone who voluntarily donated their body. And in fact there is a local school where I live that does just that, but I lucked out with the other professor at my school willing to take me into his class and use online labs. It never hurts to speak up!
LedBoots and David3 like this.

Tags
advice , college , field trips , Vegan , zoo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page